Party Time For The Washington Capitals

from Mark Spector of Sportsnet,

If you can drink all forms of alcohol out of hockey’s Holy Grail, then does it fit to fill it full of water on a Washington Monday morning, and wash down an Advil out of the Stanley Cup?

And if we allow Alex Ovechkin that courtesy, can the metaphor extend to the indignant who have shared their outrage these past few days as Ovechkin and his Capital teammates have taken Big Stanley out on the town like an old college roommate?

So they’re havin’ a few. You try making it through two months of playoff hockey, with the constant, vice-like pressure and its accompanying abstinence, without releasing the steam valve upon its conclusion.

Swimming in the fountain? OK, that had a little bit of “Patrick Kane visits Madison, Wisc.,” to it. But so what? It was harmless, though admittedly a little crass.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

alwaysaurie's avatar

I’ve always appreciated Ovechkin and I enjoyed watching them after they won, but… I can’t help but feel a little bit cheated.

Having no games go to OT is my biggest gripe as I wanted to watch multiple OTs. Seeing the Vegas 5x5 game get throttled wasn’t all that entertaining(but I guess that’s what we can call, “unimpeachable evidence” that Backstrom is a defensive beast), & then to only see a measly five gms… I feel cheated a little bit.

Congrats Ovie, Holtby, Backstrom, et al.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 06/11/18 at 11:43 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Congrats Ovie, Holtby, Backstrom, et al.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 06/11/18 at 11:44 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I guess I’ve always appreciated Ovechkin twice? Oh, well.

Now this post has 3 comments, a bit of a conversation should start soon…

Posted by alwaysaurie on 06/11/18 at 11:46 AM ET

I was shocked when Buccigross tweeted that a month of playoff hockey was played without a game going to OT.

Posted by Steve1306 on 06/11/18 at 03:46 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

You win the Cup, you deserve to party hard without it being questioned… At least in my opinion.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/11/18 at 09:29 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

If there’s complaining about the Cup’s activities, it’s most likely from the same couple of loud people carping about the same thing every year. They should just go back to yelling at clouds.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 06/12/18 at 07:09 AM ET

I was surprising just how few playoff games went to OT. I think it was less than 5 after the opening round and most in the first round involved Columbus and Washington. It had to be the least number of OT games in years.

Posted by evileye on 06/12/18 at 10:47 AM ET

My brother and I definitely thought it was going seven games.  Didn’t expect it to be this short.

But congrats to Ovie, most especially.  Well deserved.

Posted by SYF from fishing with Vicky Stark on 06/12/18 at 09:25 PM ET