Parros Hit on Barch

From Mike Heika at the Dallas News:

Krys Barch was hit in the head by George Parros’ shoulder from the blind side. No penalty was called, but Parros could get a suspension.

Video below:

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, Dallas Stars, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: george+parros, krys+barch

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Three plays tonight (that I know of) could get supplemental discipline:

This one.
Douglas Murray’s blatant attempt to elbow David Clarkson in the face.
Tomas Holmstrom boarding Aaron Johnson

I honestly don’t know where I’d rank them.  The Parros hit seemed to have the largest effect, but the Murray one was the dirtiest. However, the Murray one missed where the less-dirty-but-just-as-stupid Holmstrom boarding connected but didn’t even phase the guy.

Screw it, suspend ‘em all.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/11 at 02:21 AM ET

terrible call period. I hate the ducks and Parros is an enemy of my team but he’s no cheap shot guy and that was a result when a large man comes in contact with a smaller man.  knock this weak shite off

Posted by kenny b on 10/22/11 at 02:23 AM ET

I don’t know about that, Kenny. We only have one angle but it looks to me like Parros could have done a lot more to avoid hitting Barch. I can’t believe he didn’t at least get an interference call on that play. Expecting Shanny to suspend this guy.

Posted by Iggy_Rules on 10/22/11 at 11:36 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

It was just a needless play.  The puck was long gone, and there was no need to make contact with Barch at all, much less a conk on the head.  This is exactly what the league is looking to eliminate, these careless plays that don’t add anything to the game, and can result in serious injury.

Posted by Hootinani on 10/22/11 at 12:20 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Really terrible views of this play, but it didn’t look to me like Parros was expecting to make contact. Parros’ line was not originally on an intercept course before Barch moved toward center, and he remained upright the entire time. After Barch releases the puck gliding backward, he immediately turns to start heading back up ice and runs right into Parros.

Unless I saw a better and more complete view of this play, I’d have a hard time levying any supplemental discipline.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/22/11 at 01:23 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Ducks Blog,

A disciplinary hearing for Parros was not warranted as the NHL determined that the enforcer was not targeting Barch’s head when he clipped the Stars’ forward with his shoulder. Parros did not receive a penalty on the play and Barch returned to action after being looked at on the bench.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/22/11 at 02:25 PM ET

I suspect that Parros didn’t do much to change course due to his and Barch’s friendly relationship (they fight at least once a year).  The hit is very Steckelesque - does not look that bad at first glance but when it’s coming form a dude that’s 6ft5 and 232 pounds, it’s gonna leave a mark.  This may bear closer attention in the coming week to see if there are additional lingering effects.

Posted by MattinSurrey on 10/22/11 at 04:15 PM ET