Parise Likes It In New Jersey

via Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice,

Devils captain Zach Parise repeated today his desire to re-sign with the team and said even if he does hit the unrestricted free agent market on July 1 there is “no way” he’d sign with the rival Rangers.

“I like the people here,” he said of his remaining a Devil.“I like the staff, my teammates. I like the area. There’s a lot of good things about this place.”

Parise was asked twice about the idea of signing with the Rangers and shot it down both times.

“Don’t try to get a headline out of it,” he warned.

update 1:17pm, More has been added to the story, so if you want to read on, you can click the Fire & Ice link above…

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: zach+parise

Comments

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Hate to say I told you so, but Parise is not going anywhere.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/13/12 at 03:36 PM ET

Hate to say I told you so, but Parise is not going anywhere.

Posted by Garth on 06/13/12 at 03:38 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Hate to say I told you so, but Parise is not going anywhere.
Posted by Garth on 06/13/12 at 01:38 PM

Quotes from the article:

He also said “no” when asked if he could envision himself playing for another organization,

That was one of multiple times when Parise spoke of next season as if he would still be on the team.

Parise also said his being captain also is a factor.

I guess I missed the part of the article where says he is unhappy in Jersey, that he doesn’t want to stay in Jersey, or that he doesn’t want to re-sign with Jersey. rolleyes

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/13/12 at 04:13 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Envisioning playing for another team and actually playing for another team are two different things.

If lou offers him 6 mill when he can get 8 mill somewhere else, I’m sure he could envision playing for another team then.

Parise to detroit is already done. We have the cap space, we’re a competitive environment, and we have enough dough to sign his buddy suter also. Very few teams meet those criteria. As I speak It, It shall come to pass…...

Posted by Keyser S. on 06/13/12 at 04:22 PM ET

Hate to say I told you so, but Parise is not going anywhere.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 06/13/12 at 01:36 PM ET

...and said even if he does hit the unrestricted free agent market on July 1…

If he’s staying in Jersey than he wouldn’t possibly reach free agency on July 1, yes?

The bottom line is that none of us know what he’s thinking/going to do…but to me if this article indicates a leaning one way or the other it’s that he’s hitting the market.

Posted by godblender on 06/13/12 at 04:31 PM ET

..I like the area. There’s a lot of good things about this place.”

He’s even got a good sense of humor.

Posted by godblender on 06/13/12 at 04:37 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I wouldn’t go as far as saying Parise to Detroit is as good as done, but I don’t think this article means much except that he won’t play for the Rangers. Sorry, Rangers fans. smile

Ultimately, the issue has never been a question about people thinking Parise wanted to leave NJ, or even that Parise would be in line for a huge pay day (though, he is). It’s more about, what can the Devils afford? I have to think keeping Parise a Devil will either A) screw the Devils medium-term budget (look at the good young players they will have to give raises to in the next few seasons) or B) require Parise taking the mother of all hometown discounts.

Obviously, these are as good of signs as Devils fans can hope for, and indicate a hometown discount isn’t out of the realm of possibility. But remember, this isn’t even about a cap number, it’s about a necessary, self-imposed budget for the Devils because they are financially weak. And that means no amount of front-loading solves the problem.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/13/12 at 04:42 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

I’m a time traveler and I can guarantee ya’ll parise to detroit is going to happen (or already happened if you’re me). I won’t spill the beans about suter coming to detroit though, I’ll let you figure that out for yourselves on july 3…oops… I mean july 1st.

Posted by Keyser S. on 06/13/12 at 04:57 PM ET

Once more for the cheap seats: I guess I missed the part that says he re-signed or in any way committed to playing in Jersey next season?

See, the diifference is that I didn’t make assumptions based on what he said on their cleanout day.  Somebody else did though…  You, maybe?  I can’t remember.

Hate to say I told you so, but Parise is not going anywhere.

Yep, looks like it was you.

My point was and continues to be that there’s no “i told you so” until his name is on the contract.

Of course he’s going to say good things about the team and personnel on the day they’re cleaning out his locker.  And of course he’s going to continue to say good things about the team and personnel up until July 1st.  And of course he’s going to say good things about the team and personnel during the press conference announcing his signing if he decides to go the free agent route.

Quotes in the short-term aftermath of the end of the season mean nothing.

Posted by Garth on 06/13/12 at 04:58 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

See, the diifference is that I didn’t make assumptions

BS. You make assumptions. Huge assumptions. You are so out of touch with youself that you can’t even see how you have assumed all along that Parise is going to leave the Devils despite a complete lack of evidence to support that assumption. There hasn’t been a single rumor from anyone connected to the Devils or Parise that indicates he wants to leave the Devils. Yet you and just about everyone else, assumes that to be a fact. And when presented with information straight from the horse’s mouth that contradicts your assumption,  you deny it has any relevance. How do you like being the Mayor of Fantasy Island floating along in the Denial River?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/13/12 at 05:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yet you and just about everyone else, assumes that to be a fact.

Well I only speak for me, but as one of the assumed “everyone else”, I didn’t assume it to be a fact.  In fact, I’d say that most people assumed Parise leaving New Jersey was a likely outcome.

Just like the newest fact makes it seem that the more likely outcome would be that he’s staying in New Jersey.

But you “told us so” as though it was fact.  You made an educated guess and now there’s more evidence to support what you think will happen.  If it does happen, you will have guessed right, but you still would have guessed.

So let’s all cut the crap about who’s assuming what and who knows what.  It’s all a bunch of crap. We’re all assuming and not one of us knows.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/13/12 at 05:30 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Looks to me like Parise gave the Devils the ever popular “vote of confidence”.

We ALL know how that works out.

Posted by dougie on 06/13/12 at 05:35 PM ET

calquake's avatar

As someone once said: “Put your wishes in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.” cheese

Posted by calquake on 06/13/12 at 05:44 PM ET

pautna's avatar

“He’s done that for 100 games this season, unfortunately they decided to call him on a five-minute.” Really? For a 100 games he crushed people into the boards from behind, sliced open their top lips, broke their noses and wasn’t called for it? Wow.

Posted by pautna on 06/13/12 at 08:20 PM ET

No, I am hoping like hell that he decides to leave New Jersey and sign with Detroit.

I’m not making assumptions and stating them as if they were fact.

Yeah, and?

NOBODY who thinks he might leave does so because they think he hates his teammates or hates the city or hates his coach.

Did he announce a new, more stable ownership group?  Did he announce that there has been a sudden influx of money and the Devils are now in the black and have become a free-spending team?

Because unless he did, what he said doesn’t contradict ANYTHING that I’ve said.

I know that what he said today makes it less likely that he will sign elsewhere.

But guess f*cking what?  Until his name is on a Devils contract I am not going to give up HOPE.

You must be a joy to be around.

Posted by Garth on 06/13/12 at 09:19 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The one thing I’m not buying is that NJ’s run to the Finals will somehow have any bearing on his final decision because he thinks they’re a perennial Cup Winner now again.  If you think Parise is deluded enough to think that NJ can easily do that again year after year…. then you must not think that highly of him.

I *do* think the run might have strengthened a bond there with some teammates and staff, and/or made him realize just what a change it would be to leave.

If I had to bet, I’d put my money on him staying in NJ.  DET would be in the mix with other teams.  I don’t see MIN being really in the mix except in their own minds.

With Semin leaving (and his $6-point-whatever mill cap hit.) could Washington make a serious run at Parise?  Nobody seems to have said anything about them but… that would make sense to me.

Posted by Primis on 06/14/12 at 10:37 AM ET