Paille Gets Four Game Suspension

BOSTON - The NHL handed Daniel Paille a four game suspension for his hit on Raymond Sawada during the Bruins 6-3 win over the Dallas Stars on Thursday.

added 12:04pm,

TORONTO (February 4, 2011) – Boston Bruins’ forward Daniel Paille has been suspended for four games and will forfeit $23,118.28 as a result of delivering an illegal check to the head of Dallas Stars’ forward Raymond Sawada in NHL game #770, last night, the National Hockey League announced today.

“Paille delivered a lateral hit where the principal point of contact was his opponent’s head,” said Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. “Additionally, the injury suffered by the Dallas player was a factor in this decision.”

The incident occurred at 8:39 of the second period and Paille was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct under Rule 48 for Illegal Check to the Head.

Paille’s fine is based on his average annual salary and is calculated under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Paille will miss the Bruins next four games—Feb. 5 vs. San Jose, Feb. 9 vs. Montreal, Feb. 11 vs. Detroit and Feb. 13 at Detroit. He is eligible to return Feb. 15 vs. Toronto.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Dallas Stars, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: daniel+paille, raymond+sawada

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

I feel bad for Paille. His hit wasn’t nearly as blindsiding as some of the others this year and he got one of the worst suspensions. If Sawada has his head up, he could have seen Paille coming.
It wasn’t a total blindside like Cooke, Richards or even Hjalmersson’s.

But I still see this as progress. Afterall, this suspension came down on a team that features Colin’s precious son Gregory. Up to this point, I would have thought the Bruins were completely untouchable as far as discipline as long as Colin’s boy is on the team.

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/04/11 at 03:19 PM ET

What I find interesting about this hit is the Sawada has a separated shoulder along with a broken nose.  I am curious how that would happen if the point of contact was the head…

Posted by tigerjeb on 02/04/11 at 03:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Collie’s wheel doesn’t have a forensic science degree. I guess Mike Murphy has a harder spin on the wheel than the regular game show host.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/04/11 at 03:35 PM ET

I can’t touch my shoulder with my nose, but someone else’s shoulder can certainly hit both at the same time.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 02/04/11 at 03:41 PM ET

His hit wasn’t nearly as blindsiding as some of the others this year and he got one of the worst suspensions.Posted by Hank1974 on 02/04/11 at 12:19 PM ET

You’re serious? He left his feet, he came from behind and then the side. He could’ve made the hit lower and just bumped him to the ice.

Do you think Kostopolous’ hit was worse?

Posted by NathanBC on 02/04/11 at 03:45 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I’m not saying it wasn’t suspension worthy. But considering some of the hits that have received a mere 2-games, or nothing at all, I thought his was more in the ‘gray’ area than some others.
I’ll have to take a look again regarding him leaving his feet. Didn’t notice that the first time.

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/04/11 at 03:55 PM ET

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/04/11 at 12:55 PM ET

Yeah, he left his feet a bit when he exploded through the hit. Not exactly a jump, but he blades didn’t stay on the ice.

But I’m curious, which suspension do you think is more appropriate: This one, or Kostopolous’  for 6 games?

Posted by NathanBC on 02/04/11 at 03:57 PM ET

I am curious how that would happen if the point of contact was the head…

Well, I can’t speak for everyone, but my nose is on my head…

Posted by Garth on 02/04/11 at 04:15 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I want to say that I thought Paille’s was more appropriate but I don’t know if I can answer that without having some red-and-white tinted glasses on.

Looking at the Paille video again, you’re right. He does leave his feet and explodes on his shoulder/head region.
So 4-games for that seems appropriate (I’m of the mind that anything that is classified as Rule48 should be followed up with an automatic 5-game suspension for first-time offenders).

With Kostopolous, I thought he could have gotten a lot more games. He too launches himself upwards and targeted Stuart’s face.
While the hit was head-on, I still think it was a dirty hit based on the circumstance and Kostopolous could have easily separated the puck from Stuart with a clean shoulder-to-chest hit. Instead he went very high and did some serious damage.
If he was a first time offender, I’d be alright with 4-6 games for that. But considering his track record for dishing out dangerous hits, I think he should have gotten at least 10.
Especially when you consider the damage he caused and Colin Campbell’s track record for basing all his disciplinary decisions based on damage sustained and not intent.
With Stuart receiving a broken jaw, a concussion and being out for 6-8 weeks, I thought 6-games was extremely light - particularly when looking at Kostopolous’ body of work.

How about you? What’s your opinion on the two hits?

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/04/11 at 04:16 PM ET

The NESN between periods show had a better look at it. The point of contact on the hit was the center of Sawada’s face (even though it didn’t look like it in real-time) and Sawada landed hard on his left shoulder after getting hit. Paille didn’t really connect with Sawada’s right shoulder; the fall did the damage to his left.

How about you? What’s your opinion on the two hits?

Paille’s hit was more explicitly illegal, Kostopoulus’s was dirtier.

Posted by StevieSteve on 02/04/11 at 04:38 PM ET

“...and Kostopolous could have easily separated the puck from Stuart with a clean shoulder-to-chest hit…”

That, and same with Paille like I mentioned. I think these are two injuries that could have been avoided while still making a solid bodycheck.

I thought Kostopolous’ suspension was too agressive. With the other suspensions this season I thought it was ridiculous, but of course it’s the NHL, and they’re mostly ridiculous rulings in the first place. It seems that they felt the broken jaw was a horrible injury in comparison to the concussions and broken other parts of the faces and shoulder seperations that have happened. I’d be fine with it if there was consistency (what a pipe dream), it seems Kostopolous’ suspension is on its own island. I’m okay with “case-by-case basis,” but the “injury suffered was a factor in this decision” is bullcrap - ex: Thornton & Perron.

As far as the repeat offender status, as far as the rulebook is concerned, he shouldn’t be regarded as that anymore because it was more than 18 months ago (which is semi-ridiculous I think - maybe more like two to three seasons).

I think this PuckDaddy article pretty much follows my thoughts on that suspension.

Posted by NathanBC on 02/04/11 at 04:51 PM ET

A broken nose is 2/3 the viciousness of a broken jaw, Colie-boy?

Wow.  Just wow.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/04/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Paille’s hit was more explicitly illegal, Kostopoulus’s was dirtier.

That’s where I think the league and union need to step up and decide that both are bad plays.

While some hits are seen as ‘legal’ there are many that still aren’t safe. Or many instances where a different hit could have been levied.

I’m with you on that.
I think for certain dangerous hits, it should be on the record permanently.

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/04/11 at 05:14 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

The way Sawada fell I wouldn’t be surpised if he seperated his shoulder from the fall, rather than the impact.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 02/04/11 at 06:48 PM ET