Overnight Hockey Thoughts

from Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet,

- Elsewhere, I think Edmonton’s looking harder at acquiring a goalie. Remember: Jaroslav Halak has control in Vancouver and doesn’t seem inclined to move.

The Oilers are changing course on this issue because missing the playoffs is not an option and the frustration is boiling over. Scouting meetings are in California this week, so owner Daryl Katz can be heard first-hand.

I don’t get too riled up about the Jim Matheson-Leon Draisaitl skirmish. It happens, particularly when teams are losing. I’ve been on the receiving end; try to roll my eyes and move on.

The added challenge now is, with restricted access due to Covid, there’s no opportunity for a media member and a player to privately sort things out. Only adds to the disconnect.

What I would be concerned about from an Oilers point-of-view is the open frustration from Connor McDavid, Draisaitl, Zack Kassian and others. It’s multiple people over multiple days. That’s really bad; only wins stop an avalanche of negativity.

- Last week, mentioned that Carolina and Colorado will be in every trade rumour. I’d like to add Florida — for a defenceman. (There are teams who suspect they are in on Jakob Chychrun). It’s an all-in year for the Panthers. They’re really good and one more defender would be perfect for them.

- Purely my opinion, but I’m wondering about Patrik Laine. He needs a new contract next season before unrestricted free agency beckons. He’s shown he’s not afraid to play for his qualifying offer (did that this year). It comes down to Columbus. Do the Blue Jackets feel it is the best use of their resources — not only now, but down the road — to extend him at a big number and term?

- The lack of cap space will be the biggest impediment to making trades. So many teams are so tight, or in long-term injury. Arizona is using two of three retained-salary slots (Darcy Kuemper and Oliver Ekman-Larsson), so the Coyotes can only do one more. Other teams with space (Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Ottawa) could be kingmakers here.

more Thoughts

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Blows my mind someone can watch the Matheson exchange with draisitle and think Leon did something wrong.  Goes to show hockey writing is as much an old boys club as much as the NHL.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/19/22 at 09:41 AM ET

Draisaitl showed remarkable restraint with Matheson. My response would’ve surely been different….

Posted by pnwwing on 01/19/22 at 10:20 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

A reporter went at a player like that, and the player is catching flack? Wow.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 01/19/22 at 11:25 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Anyone else see MAF going to the Oilers for Kenny’s 1st rounder? its a trade he has to make IMO.

TreKronor's avatar

I don’t know what the media expect here.  You want them to pretend to be upbeat and happy?  Then the media will pressure and question them for being artificial and not caring about the team.

Doesn’t seem like the BJs will ever be able to retain an elite player, though Laine may be the exception.  He seems perfectly content playing outside of the spotlight, though that kind of makes you wonder what kind of player he’d be after signing a big-money contract.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/19/22 at 11:52 AM ET

Laine seems to think his sole job is to stand and take one timers. I get that because it’s the only thing he does well,  and that disappears if asked to do anything else…..
It’s good work if you can get it I guess.

Posted by pnwwing on 01/19/22 at 12:30 PM ET

MAF base salary for 2021-2022 is $6 million with a cap hit of $7 million. As I said in another post, unless Chicago takes on a chunk of the salary, and Kenny dumps other salary, there is no way to pay for Fleury, no matter how badly he needs a quality goalie.

Edmonton needs more than just help in net and on the blueline.

Posted by exor54 on 01/19/22 at 01:15 PM ET

I have doubts about Flower’s desire to go to Edmonton at all…..

Posted by pnwwing on 01/19/22 at 01:42 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Hey, Griess would jump at the chance to go to Edmonton, we could get a draft pick for him and pay his salary the rest of 2022.  Maybe, a bonus pick or cash if they make it to the finals.!

And d-men, we got a couple to peddle for draft pics, Stahl, Leddy, even DDK for depth.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/19/22 at 04:48 PM ET

Posted by exor54 on 01/19/22 at 12:15 PM ET

Keep in mind that a 3rd team can also grab some salary, and I know a team that has a slot to spare…

Posted by EthrDemon on 01/21/22 at 02:12 AM ET