Ovechkin Hasn’t Changed

from Damien Cox of the Toronto Star,

He already has seven goals, but he’s been statistically critiqued by local “Russian Machine Never Breaks” blogger Neil Greenberg as a shooter who takes too many low percentage shots. That, of course, is how Montreal managed to neutralize him.

After an off-season of partying and personal appearances in Moscow, all covered in gleeful detail by the Moscow press, Ovechkin appears to have returned unchanged for his sixth NHL season.

That’s good. Unless the Caps were hoping for more.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+ovechkin

Comments

Flashtastick56's avatar

I’m not sure why anyone would expect him to change.  Hasn’t he made it a point to tell the media that he won’t?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 11/02/10 at 11:59 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ovechkin’s output wasn’t the problem in the Montreal series…

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/02/10 at 12:11 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

God, Cox is a dick.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 11/02/10 at 12:29 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Btw, see his little self promoting within the article?

Cox is such a dick.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 11/02/10 at 12:32 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Give him a break, Cox is in Toronto.  He has the Leafs to look at for all his comparisons and examples.

Blaming Ovechkin for the Caps’ meltdown is like blaming the had football coach at Army for 9/11.

Posted by Primis on 11/02/10 at 01:29 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

What is with the Toronto Media Syndicate’s constant bleating about how Ovechkin was “neutralized” in the playoffs last year?

Can someone explain to me how scoring 10 points in 7 games is being “neutralized?”

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/02/10 at 02:08 PM ET

Montreal managed to neutralize him to the tune of 10 points in 7 games (5g 5a). Even if those did come in bunches, rather than spread evenly throughout, it the facts don’t fit the story Cox is telling. The Capitals were not eliminated because Ovechkin didn’t show up for the series; the Capitals were eliminated because certain other scorers didn’t finish.

Does Cox keep skewing the story because he’s a sloppy journalist or because there’s some malicious intent? At this point, I know what I think.

Posted by false_cause from DC on 11/02/10 at 02:12 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/02/10 at 02:17 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Totally malicious intent.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 11/02/10 at 02:57 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I wish I could say I was surprised by Cox’s blowhardism, but then I’d be a filthy liar.

I really hate and feel ashamed by the majority of this country’s hockey media sometimes. They try to hide their bias towards a Russian superstar and remain neutral, but it’s paiper-mache. I still remember that “Crosby vs Ovechkin” documentary CTV produced, it made me sick to my stomach with the anti-Russian undertones.

There’s still a lot of people in this country who can’t accept that European players are just as good, and possibly better than Canadian players.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 11/02/10 at 04:32 PM ET