Out With the Old, In (a New Place) With the Other Old

So, aside from a vacancy on the lower lines, the question Sharks fans were asking about the 2011-12 Sharks was: who will replace Trent Yawney as the Assistant Coach in charge of defense? Sorry I’m slow to jump on this but I was busy contemplating head injuries.

We have our answer:

“*Matt Shaw will take over Yawney’s role as the assistant working with the defensemen.

“*Woodcroft will work more closely with the forwards, concentrating on line match-ups during each game. He will be behind the bench full-time rather than concentrating on video work as he has been to this point.

“*Staff assistant Brett Heimlich will have an expanded role in the video department and be given other coaching opportunities.” -Working the Corners (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2011/07/25/mclellan-reshuffles-assistant-roles-woodcroft-gets-added-duties-shaw-takes-over-the-d-men/)

So Brodie Brazil was wrong when he tweeted: “Regarding #sjsharks coaching vacancy, my gut says Jay Woodcroft is the likely/best candidate. D. Wilson told me it’s McLellan’s decision.”  He was also kind of right.  McLellan did opt to give Woodcroft more responsibility, just not on defense.

I find that kind of interesting.  From fans there was a… distinct lack of disappointment when Yawney announced he was leaving.  Evidently we blamed him for the team’s defensive ills.  Of course he could not take all the responsibility or blame for the big fails that we saw on the ice.  He especially couldn’t be blamed, exclusively, since, at least in name, Woodcroft was there too.  Woodcroft’s title said “Video Coach,” but he was also said to be assisting Yawney with defense.

By not putting Woodcroft in charge of defense, McLellan completed the defense coaching purge without actually getting rid of anyone else or adding anyone new.  I hope it works out.

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, petshark, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

soletrain's avatar

ssshhhhhhaaaarrrrrrr….............zzzzzzzz

Posted by soletrain on 07/25/11 at 10:10 PM ET

so are you going to just re-post everything on David Pollak’s Mercury news blog (boring), or are you going to post original material

Posted by gp on 07/26/11 at 12:19 AM ET

Your joking right? Yawney was the teams defensive downfall, but Woodcroft will prove to be no better. A typical non signing by Sharks management, which is cutting back on payroll and coaches salaries now.

In case you did not notice, the Sharks are not spending to the cap limit this year, and have eliminated at least one coaching position in order to save money for the cheapest ownership group in all of bay area sports.

Posted by Hockey Girl on 07/26/11 at 12:28 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by gp on 07/25/11 at 10:19 PM ET

Looks like original material to me with quotes from media. No it’s not in the format Paul, George, Tony, The Chief, Patrick, Alannah, and others (sorry…forgot the rest y’all’s names) use when they quote media, but so what? If you actually read what she wrote, it’s easy to separate her opinion and her sources.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/26/11 at 12:31 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Pay no attention to gp and Hockey Girl who happen to be the same person and won’t be back.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/26/11 at 12:34 AM ET

petshark's avatar

Lol, thanks Paul.  As far as breaking news goes, I will usually try to throw something up right quick so people can comment on facts. This bit of news I don’t have a lot to say about yet.  I know Yawney was not a fan favorite.  Since I wasn’t in the room or on the bench, I cannot testify to whether or not he was to blame for what.  That isn’t the same as saying he was blameless. Like in the legal system: just because you’re found “not guilty”, doesn’t mean you’re “innocent.”

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 07/26/11 at 02:22 AM ET

Seaner in Sharkville's avatar

That’s funny because many Sharks fans I know have dual personalities: cocky about their team’s chances and scared sh**less of another playoff disappointment.

Posted by Seaner in Sharkville from Silicon Valley on 07/26/11 at 06:05 AM ET

Pet .. if you knew the responsibilities of a defensive coach , you would know how much blame Yawney should get .. but since you know nothing ... you know nothing.
I think it should be pretty clear how at fault he was since ... he was let go ... alone. .. by an org who doesn’t really do the coach dance a lot. your hints are there you just have to pick them up.
And who says Woodcroft was helping Yawney?

Posted by pimpzilla on 07/26/11 at 02:00 PM ET

Paul's avatar

pimpzilla, another visitor using two different names, this time in two different posts, won’t be around anymore.

People, I allow non-members to leave comments, but please use the same name, it doesn’t pass my smell test if you use two different name and provide a negative comment on top of that.

Better yet, become a KK member by clicking register at the top right of any KK page.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/26/11 at 02:07 PM ET

petshark's avatar

seaner, I think Sharks fans have every reason to be optimistic (though all should beware of hubris) about the team’s chances, but falling off the ladder acouple of times is enough to make anyone nervous.  It is so much easier if you have no expectations and the only way to go is up.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 07/26/11 at 09:07 PM ET

Seaner in Sharkville's avatar

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 07/26/11 at 07:07 PM ET

Yeah, I meant no offense. That was just my take on Shark fan psychology after living among them and (gasp) being friends with quite a few for several years. We have a (mostly) good-natured rivalry going, at least until the Wings and Sharks play each other at which point we become mortal enemies.

Regardless, welcome to KK. I look forward to reading your blog.

Posted by Seaner in Sharkville from Silicon Valley on 07/26/11 at 11:50 PM ET