Our New Edmonton Oilers Blogger At Kukla’s Korner

Most of us agree the Oilers are a team on the rise and covering them this season should be fun for our new Edmonton blogger Lisa.

Please welcome here and her first blog will appear shortly.

-Paul

I wanted to start right in with a hockey article, but then I reminded myself that these are the dog days of summer, that news stories are hard to come by and idea stories will be needed for another couple of months. So, here we go with the introduction piece.

As you can see, my name is Lisa and it will be my pleasure to write about the Oilers. I was fortunate enough to be able to write about the Oilers last season and hope to continue to build upon my experiences. If you stumble upon my writings you will likely find interviews, game reviews, Oilers’ prospect news, Edmonton Oil Kings news, anything remotely Oilers related that comes to mind for me and quite possibly a number of other hockey happenings.

I am a hockey fan first and foremost, but then it is everything Oilers. The next thing that may be of importance is that yes, I am an Oilers’ fan living in Calgary and that I am an Edmontonian living in Calgary. You may find me wearing green and gold at Mcmahon stadium at football games, and supporting the Edmonton Rush, Oil Kings and of course the Oilers at the Saddledome. It’s alright, I have only had one beer thrown at me in the stands for wearing an Oilers jersey, spit on only once, etc, etc. Lately however, wearing my Paajarvi jersey has gotten me high fives and a few “the Oilers are going to be scary to play against soon.”

That statement brings me to perhaps the most important thing you may need to know about me. I am quite optimistic. In fact, the biggest criticism I received last season came after a particularly painful Oilers showing. What I was told is that I am “far too fair and level headed to do this game justice.” I was able to try to find some positives in even the worst Oilers’ losess.

So, there you have it, I have criticism for some players and the team overall, but I make all attempts to keep it fair and within reason. Also, I am a “saw him good” hockey observer. I do look at other aspects, but I default to the old fashioned measures.

I will say that I enjoy making hockey trips. I will drive up to Edmonton, Red Deer, or Medicine Hat to see a game. Usually these trips focus around prospect interviews, but they still end in hockey games. I also try to make at least one Oilers trip a year to see another arena and meet new fans of the game. It is a goal to make it to all of the NHL arenas for Oilers games and I am nearly halfway to this goal.

Because I have seen a number of other arenas in the league, I am also a staunch supporter for new arenas in both Edmonton and Calgary, or at least major renovations in the Saddledome.

My prediction for this years’ Oilers team is that they will make a push for the playoffs as so many Oilers’ fans are used to. This of course hinges on the Oilers remaining fit and healthy and perhaps some reliable goaltending. If I feel confident in anything, it is that the Oilers will not finish dead last, not a third season in a row.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, Lisa McRitchie, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

Welcome Lisa

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/31/11 at 09:40 PM ET

All the best. We are on the same team yet mortal enemies. Good luck!

Posted by Scooter Kelly on 07/31/11 at 10:19 PM ET

Lisa Brown's avatar

Thanks guys!
Scooter, it’s on. How tragic that our friendship is over before it even had a chance to blossom. My team is going to school your team this season. The toe drag, that was just the starting point.

Posted by Lisa Brown on 07/31/11 at 10:39 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Welcome aboard!

I look forward to reading your blog, as I think the Oilers are going to be a very exciting team for years to come, as they certainly have no shortage of talent now, and have a bunch of really interesting players to watch grow and develop… I wish you, and your team, the best of luck!

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/31/11 at 10:47 PM ET

One of the top young teams to keep an eye on for the next several years. Look forward to your insight.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 08/01/11 at 01:35 AM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Welcome Lisa cool smile

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 08/01/11 at 02:44 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Välkommen Lisa cool hmm

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 08/01/11 at 05:16 AM ET

hey lisa, you don’t mind if we get a second opinion on your health and ability to write a blog day in and day out. Recent assurances from the “great white north” have been .. lets just say ... less than honest. We very much respect Edmonton as a hockey town with great history and respect for the game, but we also know that swirling around the bottom of the league for a few years now causes individuals to do and say things that they might not do or say otherwise - unless of course you are Tammbelli who has consistently shown that he isn’t afraid of screwing over his fellow GMs and is one losing season from managing the floor hockey association in the Edmonton Rec League. Yet, since we are big Ryan Smyth fans and you did give us Gretzky for a steal, we’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and welcome you with open arms; just please watch the ankles, those can be real tricky injuries, especially for Edmonton doctors.

Posted by scooter from los angeles on 08/01/11 at 10:46 AM ET

Lisa Brown's avatar

OK, that’s bad. I am planning to write something on this later this week. I do have weak ankles, but those may help me to write if I can’t do my other regular activities right?

Posted by Lisa Brown on 08/01/11 at 12:15 PM ET

I for one, as a “from day one” Oilers’ fan object to comments about “swirling around the bottom of the league for years—not true…last couple of years, yes, but doesn’t seem like very long ago we were in the Stanley Cup final, game 7… and the rebuild will take us back to the playoffs this season,. The mix of youth, skill, speed and some experience (Smyth, Hemsky etc.) will certainly demonstrate that “any game, any night” could be Oilers’ breakout time. That aside, I look for Stanley Cup semi-finalists or better for the last five years and there are many, many teams that are very conspicuous by the absence—teams that should be in the running, year after year, and are not. I’ve seen four Stanley Cups hoisted by Edmonton and I’m still waiting for Vancouver, Toronto, L.A. St Louis—and a host of others to get a sniff…

Posted by achy from Kitimat, B.C. on 08/01/11 at 01:57 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Welcome Lisa! I’m overjoyed to see an Oilers blog happening. Edmonton has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, second to Columbus. I can’t wait to see where they go this year. Gotta kill my depression caused by both my teams either finishing dead last and close to it. You can count on me frequently looking for your blog in the future.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 08/01/11 at 05:30 PM ET

Lisa Brown's avatar

Thanks Nicholas! I can’t wait for the season to start!

Achy, I don’t agree with the “swirling around the bottom of the league for years” comment either, but if I took it to heart every time a Flames fan made a comment like that, I would never leave the fetal position.

This is going to be an exciting season.

Posted by Lisa Brown on 08/01/11 at 06:03 PM ET

Well said, Lisa…and as a writer /editor for more than 50 years I have a lot of hockey behind me…so I suggest you ignore the gender-related guff from your opposition and critics. This is 2011—you get to do what you want to do if you can…

now if KK can come up with a better recognition system—we’d all be happier…cheesed off by getting bumped back to the “previous page”

Posted by achy from Kitimat, B.C. on 08/02/11 at 02:21 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by achy from Kitimat, B.C. on 08/02/11 at 01:21 AM ET

I am not sure what you mean by getting bumped back to the previous page, so I am asking you for more detail.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/02/11 at 09:06 AM ET

Lisa Brown's avatar

Achy don’t you worry, by the start of the season we will have an Oilers page and posts will be a little easier to find. In the meantime, it’s just an excuse to see what other people are talking about.

Posted by Lisa Brown on 08/02/11 at 12:27 PM ET

My concern Paul was that when I get to the computer-v-human recognition letter-number security feature, it asks me to type it as I see it. It usually appears to have spaces and if I try to acknowledge where there are spaces, it kicks me back a page and says I have to fill it is exactly as shown. I try various combinations, straight, with spaces, but I still get kicked back and asked to try it again. BUT now I know the submissions appear to go through anyway… None the less, a cheapo complaint about one of the best hockey blogs on the net…I’ve been reading for some time as part of Yardbarker. I have some tech complaints about Yardbarker too—that that’s another day. Keep up the good work and welcome to Lisa…

Posted by achy from kitimat, bc on 08/02/11 at 12:57 PM ET

Looks like you tryp it is straight and that works… thanks.

Posted by achy from kitimat, bc on 08/02/11 at 12:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Simple solution achy, become a KK member and you avoid typing in the captcha.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/02/11 at 01:00 PM ET

Last on this comment—my last little note was posted at 11.58n—my Dell clock on the We(s)t Coast says 9.01 as I type. Cheers to all for a better August…

Posted by achy from kitimat, bc on 08/02/11 at 01:01 PM ET