Once Again The Game On The Ice Is On The Back Burner

There have been instances in the past that have taken away the product on the ice from our focus but the Kyle Beach problem may be too important that the NHL may not recover from it until drastic changes are made.

As always, I will continue post articles on this topic while trying to keep you with all the action the players provide us.

It is time for changes to be made at the NHL and NHLPA level, there was too much hidden or spinning for the game to recover without these changes.

KK will not become a constant stream of reporting on the Kyle Beach problem but will post what I believe to be newsworthy.

My focus is on the game played on the ice, not all the other issues that remain today but it is becoming an issue when lead news is off the ice, something I am very careful with when posting.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

Appreciate the news you do post on the Kyle Beach topic, PK.  I have talked to friends and family who aren’t aware of what’s happening (even family who listens to Chicago news).  It’s sad the message isn’t more accessible to people outside of the bubble of hockey.  It’s sad hockey even needs to be considered a bubble.

But that’s what it is.  And if you’re an outsider, not one of the members of the ‘ol club, you are outside the bubble.

I appreciate the news you post and the tweet feed on the right of the page.  I always keep an eye on those.  Thanks for doing what you do PK.  I’d like to think you are having a positive impact on awareness of topics like these.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/02/21 at 10:58 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I am selectively deciding what to post on KK and do depend on tweets to dive a little more into this.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/02/21 at 11:00 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Maybe I’m alone here, but I almost feel as if there’s too much information, and WAY too much opinion, and what I’m missing or at least have not yet found is a distilled down version of events with a timeline that is just facts, what’s proven and what’s alleged.  So because of that, everyone is just reacting to what they think, and they are either over reacting with this scorched earth fire everyone, everyone is to blame, or underthinking this.

So to your point,

was there? Or is there too much over-reaction and media? Are we looking to take the head of those who wear the crown, while actually ignoring others who had the specific job responsibility of handing, investigating, escalating, etc these situations for the team, PA and League?  I’m not a big fan of just scapegoating leadership, they’re responsible for their org chart, but the members of the org are too.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 11/02/21 at 11:48 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I understand what you are saying MC, what really solidified my opinion was the Q & A segment from the press conference yesterday.

Way too much spin for me.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/02/21 at 11:54 AM ET

dougie's avatar

My money is on the entire situation being (mostly) off the radar in a few short weeks, or after a few news cycles. Stay tuned for further prognostications! Over the years, I have opined that there would never be lights at Wrigley Field, that people would never buy water in bottles, and that Dave Matthews Band would never escape the club circuit in Charlottesville.

Posted by dougie on 11/02/21 at 12:23 PM ET

d ca's avatar

There are multiple problems that the league has been downplaying. This one will continue to dominate the headlines until another takes its place.

Player drug abuse or mental health is my guess. Could also be ability of players to make final medical decisions.

But no lessons will come of it unless senior managers and those in the Chicago upper level management meeting face jail time.

Posted by d ca on 11/02/21 at 01:15 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

“Thanks TK and last night I said to myself, if this was MLB, NFL or NBA, this would be front page news all over North America.”

Very sad but TRUE, PAUL