“On The Cusp Of A Work Stoppage”?

from Maury Brown at Forbes,

All told, just 11 clubs were shown making an operating profit, according to the most recent valuations of the NHL. The “haves” fall into clear categories that make the challenges all the more daunting for the league: the Canadian clubs, and those with long, storied histories in large markets such as the Bruins, Red Wins, and Blackhawks.

In the meantime, the average value of a club in the NHL grew 5 percent to $240 million. But, concerns about the league salary cap which is 57 percent of league revenue, is creating problems across the league in places like Columbus, Tampa Bay, and Phoenix.

All of this sits against the backdrop of labor negotiations. With former MLBPA Exec. Dir. Donald Fehr now leading the union for the NHL’s players, there is deep concern that we are on the cusp of a work stoppage.

Having Fehr lead the players, in and of itself should not be a concern. What should be a concern is the model upon which the NHL is standing.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, NHL Business of Hockey, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

I hope Fehr realizes a stoppage will basically kill the sport.  I don’t care what he wants or thinks or expects, fans will not endure another stoppage any time soon.

They will simply leave and not come back.

Posted by Primis on 05/30/12 at 05:02 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I think what is killing some of the teams mentioned isn’t the cap, it’s the floor being so high. It’s the smallest spread among those that have a cap, if I remember correctly.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/30/12 at 05:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

All that said, and I think you’re right Primis, another long stoppage could permanently damage the NHL, I don’t buy this “only 11 teams made a profit” garbage.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/30/12 at 05:14 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Only in the NHL is Detroit considered a ‘large market’.  I think they meant to say ‘loyal fanbase’.

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/30/12 at 05:59 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Psst….check this out.

Detroit is ranked #13 in the US (#15 in north America; Toronto the only Canadian city higher). Three US metro areas above them do not even have an NLH team.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 05/30/12 at 06:19 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The last time the NHL had TV ratings this big they, in their ultimate wisdom, decided to have a work stoppage. They are going to do the same thing this year?

If so, I will stand in awe of their stupidity. Complete and unadulterated awe.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/30/12 at 06:40 PM ET

If there is a work stoppage, I will follow my work stoppage rule. For as long as there is a lockout/strike I will boycott the NHL and all of its products. Skip a half of the season and I will not be back for the rest of that season. Miss a season, no revenue from me the following season. For however long you can go without my money, I can withstand not giving any back to the NHL/NHLPA.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/30/12 at 06:45 PM ET