Oh Those Owners

from Mike Boone of the Montreal Gazette,

It is safe to assume that Snider and fellow NHL boardroom right-wingers – such as Los Angeles Kings owner Phillip Anschutz, who is worth $6 billion and funds organizations battling gay rights and promoting “intelligent design” as an alternative to evolution – are backing the hard line Gary Bettman has adopted in contract negotiations with the players’ association.

But as fears of a lockout spread like an off-season contagion among hockey fans, the Flyers have signed restricted free agent Shea Weber to a 14-year, $110-million offer sheet. The Nashville Predators have the right to match the offer, and they must to maintain credibility as a franchise in a non-traditional hockey market. But equalling the upfront payments in the Flyers’ contract will cripple the Predators in terms of the team they might hope to build around Weber….

What’s not news is the plutocracy seeking to enrich themselves further by striking hard bargains with the help. The Flyers’ lucrative offer to Shea Weber, however, is sending mixed messages.

Ed Snider’s message to Nashville is less ambiguous. It rhymes with “duck stew”.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well somebody’s fired up today.  I guess I should give him credit for not saying he “employs alleged rapist Drew Doughty” while he’s setting up his good-vs-evil spiel.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/20/12 at 07:32 PM ET

why do these Canadian writers always have to invoke politics when we are talking about hockey?  Leave their prejudices for the editorial pages of the paper—we enjoy sports to forget about all the other crap

Posted by howie young from up north on 07/20/12 at 07:47 PM ET

Mr. Boone, writing for a CANADIAN newspaper, calm down.
Please stick to hockey…. If the newspaper business (which is in decline I might add)
slows down for you, you could work for NPR. stick to what
you think you know.

Posted by Tony from USA on 07/20/12 at 07:58 PM ET

I don’t care what Mr. Anschutz does with his money, and I don’t see what that has to do with the collective bargaining negotiations.  Sounds like he was looking for an excuse to bash right wingers.  This has to be the most moronic article I’ve ever seen linked here.

Posted by Wylie Times from CA on 07/20/12 at 08:22 PM ET

I guess Mike Loone has a problem with all of these rich owners.  If Loone had his way, they’d all be out…and that would leave exactly 0 teams in the NHL.  So to sum up, Loone hates hockey and would like to see the NHL wiped off the face of the earth.

I’m glad I was able to interpret his thoughts the way he was able to intepret the owners thoughts.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 07/20/12 at 08:59 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

I wonder if this writer’s ego convinced him that he means more to the game than the players!

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 07/20/12 at 09:01 PM ET

Posted by RogerNYLA on 07/20/12 at 06:59 PM ET

Actually, in his Quebecois-centric view, the Montreal Canadiens would be winning every single year.  Anyone else winning the Stanley Cup is a grievous affront against the very nature of their God-given right to hoist the Cup.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/20/12 at 09:16 PM ET

By pointing out his backwards politics, it’s kind of a shorthand way of saying the guy is an *#$%@&, and will go into the CBA negotiations as an *#$%@&. He most assuredly donated to the union busting efforts in wisconsin too. Just letting the readers know what kind of folks they are dealing with.

Posted by Erik on 07/20/12 at 09:46 PM ET

It isn’t like the NHL players represent the working class proletariat either.  It isn’t a coincidence that just as the contract negotiations come up, the owners run amok. The quickest way to prove the system is broken is to break the system. This is all about negotiations and hard ball. There aren’t any villains or victims in this battle. The fans are the ones that will get screwed and Nashville just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Posted by timbits on 07/20/12 at 09:53 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Sounds like he was looking for an excuse to bash right wingers.

Can you blame the guy?  cheese

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/20/12 at 10:05 PM ET

He most assuredly donated to the union busting efforts in wisconsin too.

Do you have any proof of this?  You’re not making this up (lying) are you?  When unsubstantiated accusations are made (see Joe McCarthy), it brings into question the charactor of the individual making those claims.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 07/20/12 at 10:15 PM ET

perfection's avatar

seems like the intelligent design wing of KK is coming out in force over this one. hilarious.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/20/12 at 10:47 PM ET

I have actually been thinking about this “view” of the CBA negotiations in recent days. While millionaire hockey players are not exactly like your neighbour and mine, the situation is somewhat similar to what all Canadians and Americans (other than the super-rich) have been dealing with over the past few years. Wages are stagnant (i.e. you get paid the same you did 10 years ago, whether due to no increase in salary or benefit/pension rollbacks), but the guy at the top still seems to be able to make a big pile. Or in the NHL’s case, a 3 billion dollar pile.

Going after these owners specifically might be a bit much, but at the end of the day it’s very similar to any other kind of employment negotiation—the guy at the bottom gets screwed. And below the guy at the bottom is us the fans, who are paying more for tickets…

Posted by Mike from Toronto on 07/20/12 at 10:48 PM ET

ducat2's avatar

I read Kukla’s Korner for hockey news and insight, not for the latest ramblings and bilge coming from the ultra-leftist sycophant Mike Boone.

Posted by ducat2 on 07/20/12 at 11:33 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

@Roger - http://boycottwalker.bsharp.org/walker-10-grand-club.html
Anschutz gave Walker $10k. He’s made no secret how he’s felt about unions. The NHLPA isn’t likely to be too different.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/20/12 at 11:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ducar2, Mike Boone is an opinion writer for the Gazette plus it is definitely a hockey related story.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/20/12 at 11:39 PM ET

ducat2's avatar

Paul, The owners attempt for a new CBA that will further grease their pockets and ultimately fleece the NHLPA is a hockey story.  However,  an owner’s donation to a political party or backward poltical cause, and whether one believes in intelligent design, evolution, or entropy, are not.

Posted by ducat2 on 07/21/12 at 12:02 AM ET

Because most of the first world thinks we’re crazy for devoting any time or energy to the social issues we are constantly distracted with.  It’s not an opinion unique to Canadians.

The other reason, I think, is very relevant to the conversation.  Anschutz has no problem spending money on something that really doesn’t have any impact on him or his businesses, on fights that polling data indicates his side will lose as demographics continue to shift (every poll I’ve seen shows that young people overwhelmingly support full gay rights, for example), and yet he’s willing to go to the mat to fight the players over money.  In other words, if he’s so poor, and can’t afford to run his hockey team under the current CBA, why is he giving so much money to these (losing) causes?

I read Kukla’s Korner for hockey news and insight, not for the latest ramblings and bilge coming from the ultra-fascist sycophant Ducar2.

See what I did there?

Posted by RoneFace on 07/21/12 at 12:47 AM ET

Paul and RoneFace

I certainly agree with what you are pointing out; giving us the flavor of the CBA negotiations.

Hockey players have always been the most outgoing and grounded of the professional sports athletes.  Yet somehow, most of the owners seem to be much different than that.

Yet it seems with the addition of a very “professional” head of the NHLPA, the heavy handedness of the negotiations may be negated and fans may not be shut out of a sport which is still ticket driven.

Posted by bobbo from Romeo, Michigan on 07/21/12 at 01:30 AM ET

So we’re all supposed to run our decision on how to spend our money by Roneface so he can bless us with his moronic wisdom?  And they call Right-wingers fascists…

Mike Boone is a clown, and being gay is not a virtue.  Agree or disagree with the media push to mainstream homosexuality, defending traditional marriage doesn’t make one evil - these days it makes you courageous.

Lert Boone to write for Gawker - keep Kukla’s focus on hockey.

Posted by Shane from Irvine CA on 07/21/12 at 02:29 AM ET

I live in downtown Los Angeles.  Since the development of the Staples Center by the Anshutz Group, the surrounding area has gone through a transformation, adding jobs, new development and great opportunites in a city that badly needed a lift.  The housing market has been on the rise and old abandoned building are being refurbished and brought back to life.

The only issue of late, have been the occasional violent acts and vandalism brought on when the Occupy people decide to march.  They trampled and destroyed the City Hall park, costing taxpayers close to $500,000.  We had a rise in drug use and there were reported rapes in their incampents as well.

I’ll take what Anshutz has to offer any day over what the occupy movement brings.
My wife can’t walk “our” street, everytime they decide to march.  If that’s leftwing politics, I’ll take the right everytime.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 07/21/12 at 02:41 AM ET

Honestly, can you just go away?  I never voiced my opinion one way or the other (though I do have a strong opinion), I merely stated what the facts are.  Polling and shifting demographics indicate it’s not if but when gay marriage is a reality.

Was it also courageous to defend segregation into the 60’s?  The fight over gay rights is already over, it just hasn’t been announced yet.  That’s why it ultimately doesn’t matter what you or I think about the issue.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/21/12 at 02:53 AM ET

Great article. Cracked me up and obviously made people react.

It’s refreshing to get a bit of passion out of the fringes as Kuklas was turning depressing with Wing fans crying like little girls about missing out on Parise & Suter (and now Weber)... and losing St Nick and Stuart! (See what i did there…?)

On ya Booney!

Posted by Marc10 on 07/21/12 at 03:34 AM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Who’s John Galt?

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/21/12 at 04:12 AM ET

Winged20Wheel's avatar

I enjoy listening to the Canadians talk about the good old days of hockey and how they were the great teams “back then”. Those are the same good old days their kids will be talking about since the Canucks of today are laughable.  Eh?

Posted by Winged20Wheel on 07/21/12 at 05:01 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Man, if I knew (and I should have known) some of the garbage that would have gone in in these comments, I’d have kept my mouth shut to keep from getting lumped in with any of it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/21/12 at 11:14 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/21/12 at 09:14 AM ET

Makes you feel greasy doesn’t it?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/21/12 at 02:21 PM ET

That’s a bit obtuse Roger. I own a store in Downtown L.A. (in the old Bank District) which predates Anshutz’s South park development and is the true story of the rebirth of DTLA(spearheaded by that lefty Tom Gilmore). I’m guessing that’s where you live too. It has nothing to do with the sterile and manufactured landscape near Staples and you know that. And your dig about Occupy making downtown unsafe is also a lark as well, as it was the drunken ArtWalk revelers who created the most havoc that you reference. So, if you’ll take world that Anshutz creates, then enjoy your dystopian future. Go Kings anyway.

Posted by Erik on 07/21/12 at 03:36 PM ET

You gotta admit, Fitzgerald is a better writer than Rand. And if I may jerk the chain a bit, Boone’s summing up of libertarianism is spot on. But even if it wasn’t, Ed Snider would still be a jerk.

Posted by Cameron Tompkins from Pueblo, CO on 07/21/12 at 08:50 PM ET

Hey Erik.  I lived in Burbank for 20 years, before moving downtown.  I work in the film business, so I’m very familar with the growth of DTLA.  It used to be, you could pull a film permit downtown and own the street.  There were few residents, many of them living in the Arts District and outside of the homeless, you never had to worry about interference.  After Staples Center was completed, folks from the suburbs (me included) had a reason to come and check out downtown.  Around Staples Center, restaurants began to sprout up and South Park took shape.  The demand for more housing and restaurants helped both Tom Gilmore and Barry Shy reap the rewards.  I now live on Spring Street and 6th.  I’ve seen my share of Artwalks over the past few years, but I never saw the amount of violence as there was at the last Artwalk.  There’s always your share of drunks, but the Occupy movement exploited the last one and had they not been there, I’m sure we wouldn’t have had the rioting that took place.  They clearly spurred things on and actively took part in inciting things. You also failed to mention the costs incurred (by all of us) from the destruction they did at the City Hall park, not to mention the cost in policemen.

Getting back to Tom Gilmore, he may vote left, but he’s a righty at heart.  He takes advantage of every tax break (he’s a 1%er) and he’s tried to extort money out of me in the past, just for filming on Spring Street.  He’s no different from the leftwingers in LA that vote democrat, yet drive big SUV’s and lobby for tax breaks for their corporations, then act like 99%ers!!!

Posted by RogerNYLA on 07/22/12 at 04:19 PM ET