Odds Are Suter Won’t Be Moved

from Frank Seravalli of Frequent Flyers,

Word circulating through the general manager’s ranks is that Suter will be kept off the market.

“The consensus among us is that Nashville will be hanging onto him, even if they know the odds are not in their favor of re-signing him,” one Eastern Conference GM told the Daily News on condition of anonymity. “If he does decide to trade him, [David] Poile has the market cornered. There are very few defensemen of Suter’s caliber in the league and Nashville has two of them.

“You have to wonder whether the Predators can continue to trade away their top players for prospects because they can’t afford to pay them.”

Poile’s problem is that the small-market Predators - who won a playoff series for the first time in franchise history last season - can’t convince their growing fanbase that they’re gunning for a Stanley Cup if Suter is traded before the deadline. Nashville begins the second half just 4 points out of first place in the West.

I can only see him moved if the Preds received an offer they could not refuse.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+suter

Comments

Primis's avatar

Very dangerous.  They could end up losing both Suter and Weber in a realistic enough scenario then, because isn’t Weber on a 1-year right now?  Let’s say Suter walks and test the market… what realistically is there to motivate Weber from not signing and offer sheet since whoever will be his defense partner in NAS would now suck?

And if that happens, the Preds franchise may as well be put out of its misery and relocated.

The idea that Pred fans might think they’re gunning for the Cup though… what an insult to the fans.  Even Pred fans have to know that the Cup is a pipedream.  They still need to prove they can get to the 2nd round again, quite frankly…

If I’m Poile, I’m telling my ownership that they HAVE to spend now, not even to win but to just keep the franchise alive.  They have to open the wallet at some point or else they can’t and won’t survive.

Open the wallet, get Suter and Weber resigned, and add some scoring at the deadline.  And then work over Radulov this coming offseason to get him to come back over form the KHL.  That is pretty much exactly what has to happen, or else they may as well not do anything at all… they let too many good players go, but by God they’ll play Legwand $4.5m/yr to… do what exactly again?

Posted by Primis on 01/30/12 at 02:55 PM ET

If I’m Poile, I’m telling my ownership that they HAVE to spend now

That’s fine, except that Suter has publicly said he’s not going to sign anything before the deadline (which I believe means he’s not signing with Nashville period)

I’m all for Nashville not dealing Suter because him not going to another team now means there’s more chance he could sign with Detroit.  While it’s certainly not a given that he would sign with whoever hee’s traded to, it is entirely possible that he ends up liking where he goes and decides to re-sign before even testing free agency.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/12 at 03:09 PM ET

Yes, Weber’s on a one-year contract that expires after this season.  There are nine (9) people on the ownership board of the Preds.  NINE.  And all with equal stakes in the Preds.

Good luck with that.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/30/12 at 04:02 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I guess we can bash the Jackets for spending so much (poorly) and the Sabres for the same (poorly) but…. at least they’ve tried I guess.

Nashville has never, ever tried.

It’s time spend, or close up shop.

Posted by Primis on 01/30/12 at 05:26 PM ET

at least they’ve tried I guess.

So it would be better for Nashville to spend a bunch of money one who-gives-a-shit players than to realize that they have a limited payroll and work with what they do have?

Last I checked the Predators are thre points out of first in the league while the worst team in the league and the Sabres are tied with the Isles and Canes for worst in the East.

The Sabres and BJs are going to parlay $65+M and $62+M caps into lottery picks while the Predators could possibly parlay a sub-$50M payroll into home ice in the first round of the playoffs.

Good call Primis, at least the BJs and Sabres are trying.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/12 at 05:56 PM ET

Oh, and of course Nashville will make the playoffs for the fifth time in six years.

But they should really look up to the Sabres and BJs.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/12 at 05:57 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Plus….am I the only one that heard Poile talking about a budget increase?  I believe him.  This management staff is among the best in the league.  They have realized that they have gone as far as they can with the current model, and are greedily eyeing playoff revenues now that they are a legit contender to go deep.  I realize almost no one likes these guys, I mean look at those f*cking jerseys - gold is actually an improvement, but you have to give them some respect.  Knowing how to write big checks is not praiseworthy as compared with these masters of prudence.  Did anyone think Sergei Kostitsyn would even stay in the league?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/30/12 at 06:39 PM ET

I believe him.

Depends what the budget increase is.  They’re already going to be doubling Rinne’s cap hit next season, Kostitsyn will cost them more and even keeping one of Weber or Suter will bump up the salary and they’ve currently got $32M spoken for with only 13 players under contract next year.  If Suter, Weber and Kostitsyn came back at this year’s salary the Preds would b pretty close to their 2011-12 salary already.

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do.

Having said all of that, I am of the opinion that when Suter said he wasn’t going to sign before the trade deadline he effectively said that he doesn’t plan on being a Nashville Predator next season.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/12 at 07:10 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Well, 32 mil for 13 players….add 15 mil for Weber and Suter - that’s 49ish and 8 guys to sign.  Presumably Kostitsyn gets to 3ish (or more likely traded, now that he’s looking good).  This leaves them room to do the usual free-pile routine and potentially add a UFA in the 4-5 range.  The payroll was 49ish for this year.  So a 15-20% increase in budget is more than enough.  But that is a pretty big piece of cake.  You could well be right Garth, but I think management sees this as a crossroads for the franchise and will try to retain both guys (I think the Rinne contract was meant to signal this).  It all hinges on playoff success as that will allow them to make the case for investment.  Personally, I think they will go for a run this year.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/30/12 at 07:37 PM ET

Well, they have been.  Poile has been very open about negotiating with Suter, but the fact that Suter has shut it down means that’s probably do or die.  Last year they made it to the second round, I wonder if Suter would re-sign if they did the same thing this year or if it would take more.

That’s a lot of pressure being put on the team.  It will be interesting to see what they can do.

I also wonder what kind of team they can build (because even if they spend more they’re still going to be on a budget) if they do sign both Suter and Weber, because that would mean they’d have three guys combining for probably $22-25 million.

Posted by Garth on 01/30/12 at 08:00 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Yes.  Very interesting - they could be dangerous.  I had assumed that they were going to falter this year because they really low-balled Weber this summer and I thought it would affect his game.  But now it just seems like hard-working, dominant, business as usual for these guys.  I agree anyway that even if they keep these two, the forwards will be on a real tight budget.  (Craig Smith and Colin Wilson are a realistic hope for more scoring from within the group.)
Anyway, if they get bounced in the first round then there will be no cash.  If they go to the WCF, or eliminate a touted contender like Chicago (please), then they will graduate to the next tier of spending….is my read.
I think you may have more to base your view on, but my gut tells me that it is safe to make a friendly wager that both guys stay in Tennesee (how’s two intergalatic mega-credits sound?)

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/30/12 at 09:23 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Actually, I think what my gut is really saying is, “dude, fries for lunch?  Really?  Oh you paying for that.”

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/30/12 at 09:27 PM ET

I would be comfortable with that friendly bet.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 01:58 AM ET