Notes On Hockey

from Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun,

- When I put together my Top 100 NHL players of all-time list in 2016, I had Sidney Crosby at No. 10. That was before he won his third Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh and about 300 or some points ago. The top four all-time are automatic in whatever order you choose: Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe and Mario Lemieux. There’s no catching them. Five is open now for Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau, Bobby Hull, Doug Harvey and, yes, Crosby would now fit in nicely there as well.

- The only player with more points than Crosby in his NHL years is Alexander Ovechkin. And because of Crosby’s injuries, Ovechkin has played 163 more games and has managed only 17 more points than Sid The Kid. Ovechkin, as a top 10 selection, is a great conversation piece alongside Hull and Guy Lafleur.

- While goal scoring is way down in hockey, unless you hang around Matthews, the great Mike Bossy believes it may actually be easier for gifted players to score than ever before. “You don’t see the cross checking we used to face,” said Bossy. “You don’t see the hooking and the holding around the net. There’s not much hitting in front of the net. I know the goalies are better and bigger and the equipment is bigger. But I think there’s a lot of room out there that doesn’t get talked about.”

- The best young defenceman nobody talks about: Adam Fox of the New York Rangers.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Am I crazy for thinking this:  if I had the option to draft Crosby or Lidstrom that id take Nic?

Posted by SevensForTed on 02/21/21 at 09:17 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Just to keep you updated, Simmon’s column used to appear online late Saturday afternoon/early Saturday evening.

Now it doesn’t hit until Sunday morning.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/21/21 at 09:34 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I’m with you, Sevens.  Lidstrom’s game aged way more gracefully than Crosby also.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/21/21 at 10:37 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

So I suppose Steve Simmons could say Ovie is better at taking care of himself and preventing injuries. But no, we wouldn’t take that angle would we, Steve.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/21/21 at 12:55 PM ET

So you think the article should be about Ovechkin being less of a target for his entire career because he is nowhere as complete a hockey player as Crosby is?

Players who drive play and dominate the game tend to get injured more than players who set up at the hash marks and wait for the playmaker to give them a perfect pass.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 02/21/21 at 01:29 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 02/21/21 at 12:55 PM ET

avoiding concussions is a rare talent

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 02/21/21 at 01:31 PM ET

Posted by SevensForTed on 02/21/21 at 09:17 AM ET

I could get on board with this but there are a couple ways of looking at it. Lidstrom never really missed any significant time and seemed to regress slowly compared to Crosby who has been dinged up and missed some time but is still a premier talent. I personally think having a legit #1 Norris winning D man is more valuable than the #1 overall centerman in the league but I could be argued out of that position.

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/21/21 at 02:57 PM ET

At crsbys age Lidstrom posted subsequent 80, 70 and 60 point seasons not in that order.  And a 59 point season.  His last season still a plus 21.  He was elite until he retired. Imo.

Posted by ThatGuy on 02/21/21 at 05:54 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Crosby is good, but always has had an attitude problem. shut eye

Posted by bigfrog on 02/21/21 at 07:28 PM ET