Not Just A Concussion

from Cathy Gulli of MACLEANS,

Before there was Sidney Crosby, there was Eric Lindros. Both were hockey prodigies as young teenagers. Both were drafted first overall into the NHL. Both won the league MVP in their early 20s, both were captain of Team Canada at the Olympics, and both were hailed as the next Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux. And then, in a fraction of a second, both fell victim to devastating concussions. The toll on Crosby, who has been sidelined since January, remains to be seen. But most fans know that Lindros was never the same after a series of blows to the head—at least eight by the time he retired in 2007. What few know, however—what he’s never talked about publicly before—is the psychological and emotional toll of those concussions.

That a Herculean hockey legend such as Lindros (he is six foot four and 255 lb.) is speaking out with disarming candour about the panic and desolation that he has endured is unprecedented.

excerpt (continued)

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eric+lindros

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Lindros was a Dumb Cheap shotting Slug who constantly skated with his head down & got what was coming to him !

Sid on the other hand was nailed in a completely random hit from a guy he didn’t see coming then the Pens OrganIzation did what they have done since Sid became the Golden Boy they let him tell them he was fine & then went out & got hit again up 7-0 to TB & then they let him fly on a plane to Montreal

Posted by Evilpens on 05/19/11 at 12:39 PM ET

dickshilling's avatar

I don’t seem to recall the time Crosby was captain of Team Canada at the Olympics

Posted by dickshilling on 05/19/11 at 01:09 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 05/19/11 at 10:39 AM ET

Yes, Lindros deserves to have scrambled eggs for brains now because he was “Dumb” and “skated with his head down” (your random capitalization, not mine).

Jesus, man, what is wrong with you?

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 05/19/11 at 01:39 PM ET

I agree with evilpens (and I am not a Pens fan) because Lindros cheap shotted tons of guys during his career.  Check out his hit on Dackell several years ago for just one.

Posted by Devils In The Details on 05/19/11 at 01:43 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

I would argue that regardless of one’s propensity for cheap shots, no one deserves the brain trauma that comes with 7 or 8 concussions.  I wouldn’t even wish that on Claude Lemieux.

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 05/19/11 at 01:53 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

You Reapeth What you Soweth ! He got away with that shit all the way through Jrs. & when he got up to the Big Boy league the NHL guys had to hit him with his head down or they were looking for another job

Posted by Evilpens on 05/19/11 at 02:19 PM ET

CPSLOgoalie31's avatar

Evilpens - trying getting a concussion or two, and then we’ll talk.  I’ve had ONE and it was the worst experience of my life.  It’s easy to be an armchair quarterback.

Posted by CPSLOgoalie31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 05/19/11 at 02:42 PM ET

Mike from Austin's avatar

Come on.

At least Lindros got sawed in half by massive hits from Kasparaitis and Stevens. Crosby took a tap to his glass chin.

Posted by Mike from Austin on 05/19/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I guess by EP’s theory Sid deserved what he got because he’s just so annoying to so many people. Come on, dude. No one deserves to be forced out of the game due to concussions. No one.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/19/11 at 03:02 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMM I had one when I was a teenager & that was WAY before Medical people knew how bad Concussions were !

Posted by Evilpens on 05/19/11 at 03:15 PM ET

Lindros gave more concussions than he got, usually on fairly filthy plays. The ones he got, Stevens aside, were on clean plays when he did something reckless (such as skate forward at full speed with the puck, while staring at his shoes) or lazy (such as admire his pass).

Nobody has sympathy for Lindros for the same reason nobody has sympathy for this.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/19/11 at 03:32 PM ET

We can all agree that concussed brains even if it happened just once and not properly diagnosed tend not to function properly.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/19/11 at 03:36 PM ET

CPSLOgoalie31's avatar

Tangles of neurons, consistent with those of Alzheimer’s patients, are found in the brains of those who have had concussions.  I’m not going to go into depth, but neuro damage of this type is bad news.  Over time, these tangles can cause big, big problems.  What ends up happening, essentially, is the brain starts mis-firing, sending signals where they aren’t supposed to go, and “trimming” neurons you actually end up needing.  The result is a brain degenerative disease.  No one deserves that.  Life goes on after hockey….blasphemy, I know!

Posted by CPSLOgoalie31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 05/19/11 at 03:41 PM ET

I am a fan in Atlanta and I am trying to get the word out about our fight to save our city’s hockey team. If there is anything you can do, please help!

Posted by Emily from atlanta on 05/19/11 at 06:27 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

I can personally attest to the damage caused by concussions.. I’ve had one big concussion and sincwe have had major depression, anxiety that I’ve never had before, and other minor stuff. The depression is the worst part. I was always a happy guy. Never had a bout of depression in my life and always coped well with any adversity. Now its like I’m two different people.. ill be in a situation where I know I should be happy as hell and the depression will take over and I won’t be able to get the dose of endorphins that I know should be there. I wouldn’t with a concussion, especially multiples, on anyone, even a cheap shot artist.

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 05/19/11 at 07:52 PM ET