No Suspension for Boychuk

From James Mirtle at the Globe & Mail:

The NHL’s acting disciplinarian, Mike Murphy, confirmed Tuesday that Boston Bruins defenceman Johnny Boychuk will not be suspended for his hit on Canucks winger Mason Raymond in the opening seconds of Monday’s Game 6.

According to Canucks GM Mike Gillis, Raymond “sustained a vertebrae compression fracture” on the play and is expected to miss three to four months.

Murphy said via email that the league’s hockey operations department reviewed the play but deemed it an “awkward collision” and not worthy of a suspension.

“[It was an] awkward collusion between two players battling for space/room,” Murphy wrote. “[You] rarely see a player bumped when in the position Raymond was in (bent over forward).”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: johnny+boychuk, mason+raymond, mike+gillis, mike+murphy

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Alanah, I’m watching NHL Live and the more replays I see of that “play,” the more it looks to me like Boychuk had the time and space to back off before he smashed Raymond into the boards.  Disgusting, and I’m very sorry that the injury was so severe.

As you are a Canucks fan, what is your take on how your team handles being down three key players (Raymond, Hamhuis and Rome) going into Game 7?  It also looks to me like Kessler is struggling with an injury of some kind.

[Just for the record, I’m pulling for your team.  Some of the cheap shots and diving have disappointed me, but Boston is as bad or worse, and I tend to cheer for the Western Conference if and when the Red Wings are eliminated.]

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/14/11 at 06:47 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

It did look like Boychuk could probably have backed off on driving Raymond all the way into the boards like that. BUT—and I thought the same thing about Rome’s hit, incidentally—I don’t think Boychuk had any intention to injure. I don’t think he had a chance to realize how dangerous following through that late hit was going to be, given what a strange position Raymond was in.

But regardless of intentions, a terrible result for Raymond.  I just hope that he’s going to be okay. 3-4 months sounds awfully optimistic for a crushed vertebrae.

You’re right about Kesler, for sure, and probably a few others.  Actually, a commenter on this post I wrote earlier gave a pretty good summary of the Canucks injuries and obstacles.  I think the Canucks will have to rely on 3 things: great goaltending (which, if you follow that link above, you can see they’ve had on home-ice); someone in the offense having a heroic game; and just blind-dumb luck.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if this whole thing ended with some ridiculous lucky bounce. smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/14/11 at 07:05 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I agree that there was probably no intent to injure in either case (Rome or Raymond).

Honestly, I think Vancouver has the advantage the way the home team has won every game.  Hope you guys get the lucky bounce!

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/14/11 at 07:09 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

But regardless of intentions,

Exactly. Regardless of his intention, the player is responsible for his actions.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/14/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I didn’t see anyone get “smashed” into the boards. It was an innocent enough play with a disastrous outcome. Look, hockey is a rough sport and injuries happen on the cleanest of hits. Are we going to call for suspensions for every single thing?

Right call by Murphy. Too bad for Raymond and the nucks. Someone else will have to step it up. That’s playoff hockey.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/14/11 at 10:34 PM ET

I didn’t see anyone get “smashed” into the boards.

Yeah, for real.  Smashed?  Come on, that’s ridiculous.

Posted by Garth on 06/14/11 at 10:38 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

It’s hockey.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/14/11 at 11:22 PM ET

I can swallow the “it’s hockey” excuse if it weren’t for the fact that Rome was suspended on a hit that according to Mike Murphy itf it was a half second earlier would not have been a penalty never mind a suspension.  But because of the “severe injury caused” (again using Murphy’s words, a suspension was warranted.  As a Canuck fan there seems to be 2 sets of rules - or maybe more accurately there are no rules and they are making it up as they go along.

Posted by Jerry on 06/14/11 at 11:35 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Please can the “two sets of rules” talk. We are subjected to the special Holmstrom rules game in and game out.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/15/11 at 11:38 AM ET