No Plans For Don Cherry on American TV

From A.J. Perez and CBS Sports’ Eye on Hockey:

He’s been seen here and there on NBC over the years and he goes on the Jim Rome Show—Smack-off is Friday by the way, clones—on occasion. His sporadic showing stateside could have a little something to do with what he told a Pittsburgh TV station years ago when they put up an image of Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr on the screen.

“There’s Mario and his sister,” the NHL coach turned analyst blurted out.

Versus spokesman Meier Raivich said in an e-mail that there are no plans to use Cherry, either on Versus or corporate cousin, NBC .

more  (And more on Cherry in Al Strachan’s column in yesterday’s Calgary Herald.)

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, VERSUS, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+cherry, nbc, versus

Comments

My only gripe with Grapes, is that he’s a little too pro Maple Leafs in his opinions.
Other then that, I love the guy.  I’m tired of these politically correst suits passing themselves as sports commentators.  Would love to have Cherry doing the hockey telecasts for Versus or NBC.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 04/07/11 at 05:45 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMM vast Hockey Knowledge by Rogee on display again, Sour Grapes is a Senile One Note Charlie

Posted by Evilpens on 04/07/11 at 06:05 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I’m. from the States and Don has been can’t. Miss tv for me for 20 + years. Don may bombastic and jingoistic,  but you always know where he stands. He doesn’t blow in the wind like some talking heads. Mike milbury is a Cherry wanabe and Douche. Canoe Mcguire is just a jacks** who Never Shuts his tapped. I love Don and will miss him dearly when he is gone. Most American viewers don’t. Get the subtleties. Of the game anyway and if they watched Don on HNIC would be clueless.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/07/11 at 06:25 PM ET

Oh, evilpens, you must be quite a disappoinment to Pittsburgh.  What happened to that tough blue collar mentality that went hand in hand with your city?  Don Cherry pulls no punches, tells it like he sees it and is not afraid to stand by his opinion, no matter how unpopular it might be.

I always thought strong charactor and grit were the great traits of the industrial heartland.  To see your disdain for Cherry, comes as a big disappointment to me.

You need to get back in your Volvo, grab a latte and listen to your REM albums before you hurt yourself.  Hockey might be a little too brutal for your sensibilities.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 04/07/11 at 08:06 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMM Rogee You seem more The Nerdy Pantywaist Volvo type, Never ever drove or will drive a Volvo Want REAL Coffee & can Tolerate REM for about 2 songs of their career

Metalhead to the day I die, Now if you would have mention The Cure, The Cult or Social Distortion OK, No way, shape, matter or form REM

Posted by Evilpens on 04/07/11 at 08:11 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Hey Evil, you finally got an avatar,hah? Nice one too. Good job.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 04/07/11 at 09:06 PM ET

My guess is Versus/NBC doesn’t want a Canadian xenophobe and quasi racist on their networks.

Posted by timbits on 04/08/11 at 01:19 AM ET

I love these college kids that throw around words like xenophobe or racist when someone has a diiferent opinion from their own.

When you don’t like someone, call them names.  Very mature.  I’m impressed.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 04/08/11 at 02:59 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I will always like Don Cherry. No apologies here.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/08/11 at 11:09 AM ET

Unfortunately the CBC doesn’t hold those same standards…

Wow, a different opinion?

I guess the KK aren’t racists either, they just disagree with the opinion of racial equality.

Posted by Garth on 04/08/11 at 11:15 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Garth on 04/08/11 at 09:15 AM ET

It’s KKK. Get your facts straight before you start mouthing off.

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/08/11 at 11:19 AM ET

The KK?  So now you think Kukla’s Korner is a racist site?  Then why are you on this site?  Are you a racist?

Posted by RogerNYLA on 04/08/11 at 01:11 PM ET