No Love For Ovechkin

from TSN,

While the NHL season does not get underway for another two months, one of the hottest rivalries has already begun to heat up.

Pittsburgh Penguins’ forward Max Talbot began a war of words with Washington Capitals’ superstar Alexander Ovechkin on Tuesday while Talbot was promoting the upcoming 2011 NHL Winter Classic between the Pens and Caps at Heinz Field on New Year’s Day.

While doing a promotional interview on Pittsburgh Radio Station 105.9 The X, Talbot said that Ovechkin was a “real (expletive deleted)” and continued to stir the pot with more statements of how much he dislikes the two-time Hart Trophy winner.

“I just hate the guy,” Talbot told The X on Tuesday. “I can’t lie. Sorry. Even more so for a guy like Ovechkin. Like, seriously. Ok. Yeah. I don’t like him.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin, max+talbot

Comments

Word is the Penguins are kinda ticked at Max for this, but needless to say every Penguins fan on the planet thinks even more of him now.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 07/27/10 at 06:28 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Mad Max Gave Jaws the “Superstar Treatment”  LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 07/27/10 at 06:28 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Class class class.  Talbot is one hell of a classy player as you can tell.  Wonder what he thinks about Cooke???  Or Malkin for that matter? I seem to remember a dirty play by Jenny resulting in a concnussion.  If it’s a matter of personality, he probably shoudl’ve kept it to himself.  Not like there were rumors he was caught skinny dipping with Ovi or anything so there’s really no need to go there with it.  I don’t remember Z talkin’ shit on Sid or Jenny for their shenanigens

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/10 at 06:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I like this kinda stuff, it helps keep things interesting and fires up the fans.  Heck, I still remember the back-and-forth between Roenick and Roy better than the series that spawned the talk.

The NHL could use another very heated rivalry between two very good teams.  There will always be some that go on, but there hasn’t been one that’s been truly great since the Colorado Avalanche had to go into rebuilding, and the Wings kinda left them behind.  This has the potential to turn into something very similar.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/27/10 at 06:44 PM ET

Greg's avatar

I don’t remember Z talkin’ shit on Sid or Jenny for their shenanigens

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/10 at 04:35 PM ET

Who’s Jenny?  Or are we back at making super fun nicknames again?

I think this is cool, and the two times I’ve met OV, I’d have to agree that he’s a douche too.

Posted by Greg on 07/27/10 at 06:47 PM ET

People complain that hockey players give cliche answers.  People complain when hockey players speak out.  I’d rather Max or any other Penguin say this type of stuff, but it had nothing to do with whether or not Ovechkin played dirty, but personal encounters with him.  The fact it is making the front page of TSN is ridiculous, but its slow news for hockey.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/27/10 at 06:48 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I guess it’s out of the realm of possibility to wonder if maybe the league didn’t direct a little orchestrated animosity during interviews preceding the annual Thid Thuckfest.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/27/10 at 06:55 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The inevitable invasion of the 12 Year Old Dead Things fans LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 07/27/10 at 06:57 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

yes, we are back to nicknames smile

I agree, I like a heated rivalry.  But how is Max Talbot not liking a hockey player for no real reason, a rivalry?  Just because I don’t want a cliche answer doesn’t mean I want a Sean Avery answer.  And I’d like to thank the pens fans for not acknowledging the infractions by their “star” players.  Keep focusing on the nicknames.

So until there’s actually an incident, this is just a guy expressing his feelings like guys now days are supposed to.  How much an hour do you think they charged Talbot for his session? Probably got a good discount since they used it as “news”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/10 at 07:00 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Toronto and Ottawa was close I think during the first part of the decade. Thats the last one I can remember that was really, really good. But you are right. A little hate stirs the pot and I like it.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 07/27/10 at 07:05 PM ET

Moq's avatar

There was a link to the actual radio clip at the Confluence twitter, and I heard some of it. Talbot didn’t specify the exact reasons for his dislike of Ovechkin, but it was based on a couple of off the ice meetings as far as I understand it. Not that controversial in my opinion even though I’m favour of a little confrontational spice. Of course, an obvious news story during the hockey offseason.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/27/10 at 07:10 PM ET

In light of Sean Avery’s comments a couple years back, does Talbot receive any supplementary discipline from the league ?
As a Wing fan I think a one game suspension, retroactive to Game 7 of the ‘09 SCF and therefore eliminating his stats from the records would be in order.

Posted by mc keeper on 07/27/10 at 07:23 PM ET

LOL @ HockeytownOverhaul and his jealous comment. Nice to see Wings fans in here still are calling Penguins superstars silly names. What a joke. Although JJ from Kansas shows there are plenty of Wings fans who get it.

Max was on with morning radio host Tim Benz. This was Max being Max. He likes to mix it up. He doesn’t pull any punches. It was all in good fun. The word he said was “d**che”. Nothing crazy. It’s called smack talk. And it’s a big rivalry. Haters (like some fans here at KK) gonna hate. Stop being so bitter over last year already…

The funny thing is, Max tells it like it is, but a guy like Crosby who is so politically correct is criticized for being so modest. Go figure.

Can’t wait for 1/1/11!

Posted by KLS Line 20-82-27 on 07/27/10 at 07:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

amen Mac.

You say it’s a rivalry, but the hardest gams I see are with Philly.  When I watch Pens and Caps, it doesn’t compare.  Sid and Ovi is a rivalry, where does Talbot fit in?  Liek I said, Philly is the real rival, at least from what I see on the ice.  I’d like to see Talbot list off who he doesn’t like on the Flyers.  THAT would be news.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/10 at 07:46 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

btw, sue me for being die hard for my team.  just stirrin the pot, thought this was what it’s all about. wink

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/10 at 07:48 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I would agree that Pens/Caps is not Pens/Flyers, but it’s close….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 07/27/10 at 07:59 PM ET

Well, not to nitpick but it seems like Evilpens was the first to use a silly nickname.

Mad Max Gave Jaws the “Superstar Treatment”

As well as his usual Use of cApitaL leTteRs fOr no aPpareNt REASoN.

(BTW, Jaws?  What?)

Posted by Garth on 07/27/10 at 08:08 PM ET

edillac's avatar

meh

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/27/10 at 08:10 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I suppose Talbot and Ovechkin can sit down and hash this out once and for all next May when they’re both eliminated from the playoffs early.

They should have ample time.

Posted by Primis on 07/27/10 at 08:34 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

(BTW, Jaws?  What?)

Go check out the Villains from James Bond Movies Richard Kiel, put Ovechkin & his pic side By Side I think you can figure it out from there

Posted by Evilpens on 07/27/10 at 11:34 PM ET

Gee, that’s only a HUGE stretch.

Good one.

Posted by Garth on 07/27/10 at 11:50 PM ET

This is a bit like the janitor complaining about the CEO.  Could it be true?  Sure but who gives a damn about the janitors opinion.  Its a know your role situation.  People dont come out to the rink to see Max and frankly nobody cares what he thinks.

Posted by eerodynamic on 07/28/10 at 12:23 AM ET

eric in baltimore's avatar

Let’s see: A guy who’s never had a bad word said about him by an ex-teammate even anonymously and was voted captain unanimously by his current teammates. Sounds like a giant douche to me. Not to mention the endless stories of his handing out gobbs of money to homeless guys or endlessly signing autographs and giving away sticks to opposing fans. What a tool.

Posted by eric in baltimore from baltimore on 07/28/10 at 12:26 AM ET

Interesting that Talbot said this.  If Crosby called Ovie a jerk (and I am well aware that Crosby is too PC to ever do that publicly, whatever he might think privately), it could easily be discounted—chalked up to the fact that they seem to be polar opposites.

Yet Talbot is gregarious, outgoing, kind of wild, a bit of a goofball who will say anything—a personality that is in many ways similar to Ovechkin’s.  Talbot is also one of the most popular players the Penguins have, not just because of the Game 7 goals, but because he is seen as a great guy and a regular guy—someone you never hear anything negative about and the kind of guy everybody would want to have a beer with.  Talbot comes off as the kind of person who, if you can’t get along with him, it would reflect more on you than him.  Honestly, if he found Ovechkin to be a jerk in person, I find it (1) surprising and (2) believable at the same time.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 07/28/10 at 12:45 AM ET

Posted by eric in baltimore from baltimore on 07/27/10 at 10:26 PM ET

So he can’t be a good teammate and a jerk to Talbot at the same time?  Who knows, maybe the two times he met Talbot, AO was having a bad day or something.  It can be both.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/28/10 at 10:38 AM ET

eric in baltimore's avatar

Obviously Ovechkin could have acted douchey to Talbot I was responding to the guy who said it’s clear to everybody that Ovechkin is a douche.

Posted by eric in baltimore from baltimore on 07/28/10 at 10:47 AM ET