No Local Voice

from Tom Hoffarth of the LA Daily News,

The puck drops, and Bob Miller and Jim Fox have nothing to say about it.

Their usual Staples Center mid-ice TV booth has been overtaken by a bunch of foreigners. A Canadian broadcast team, for cryin’ out loud.

So to view Game 3 of the Kings’ Western Conference semifinal series against St. Louis, Miller and Fox were kicked upstairs, wedged into the press box with the rest of the germ-carrying media types, those who sniffle to fight off another cold coming on or dab their noses to keep it from bleeding because of the altitude change above the 300-level section.

Seated about 100 yards apart from each other, Miller and Fox might as well have strung up a couple of tin cans to keep in contact and perhaps call the game for the rest of the die-hard fans sitting up that high.

Is this any way to treat L.A. hockey broadcast royalty?

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I am not a fan of the NBCSN. I buy NHL Center Ice and get less games than I got last year because after the first round NBC takes over and I don’t get NBCSN. It is on a more expensive tier on DirecTv and the money I save I buy NHL Center Ice for the games I want to see during the year. Out of site out of mind, since I haven’t been watching NHL because of NBCSN, I find I care less about watching them when they are on on NBC on weekend afternoons. I am an avid hockey fan but my team is out of it and I watch less playoff hockey now than I ever did because the NHL being on NBCSN has made me not really care to even watch it. I feel for the LA fans who can’t watch their team because of NBCSN and the NHL Network are in limited number of homes. I only get the NHL Network becuase it is part of the Center Ice package.

Posted by Puckbubba from FL. on 05/06/12 at 02:54 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Missing Bob and Jim big time! Missing the fact that they actually call the game instead of constantly chit-chatting and spewing commentary.

Case in point, listen to the announcer as this play develops. It’s not until the last second does he actually call the play! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q1h92ttxFw

Posted by pautna on 05/06/12 at 03:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Is this what happens when a team makes a playoff run they’re totally not used to?

What a stupid thing to write and complain about when your team is likely about to advance to the Conference Finals.

Posted by Primis on 05/06/12 at 03:35 PM ET

There is a local voice on the air in LA, it is Nick Nickson and he is on Radio. I like Bob Miller too, but as the playoffs move on, you lose your own announcers.

Posted by timbits on 05/06/12 at 04:10 PM ET

Posted by Jean-Paul on 05/06/12 at 04:46 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by Jean-Paul on 05/06/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Yeah, the Kings and their fans thank you for the sage advice, Jean-Paul.

Obviously most fans in a media center such as LA are capable of understand the dynamics of national broadcasts.  Furthermore, I don’t think the article from some junior LA paper was actually intended to be taken literally as a complaint, but rather, as a form of tribute.  Furthermore by discussing “moronic local homers” in an article about Miller and Fox, your ignorance is displayed in full form.  The very fact that they don’t hold back in their critique of the Kings is precisely what makes them relatively unique compared to most of the other local - and sometimes even national - broadcast teams.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/06/12 at 04:57 PM ET

Oh, Shazam, would you like a tissue paper to wipe away your tears?  Poor little guy, I seem to have offended you.  Awwwwwww. Poor little guy.

Posted by Jean-Paul on 05/06/12 at 06:27 PM ET

LA hockey broadcast royalty is thing?

Posted by Garth on 05/06/12 at 07:33 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Well put shazam.  I would add that you don’t get into the hockey hall of fame, like Bob Miller has, by being “moronic” or a “homer”.

Last time I checked none of the “big boys” from NBC who’ve been calling the Kings games are in the hall.

Posted by pautna on 05/06/12 at 08:54 PM ET

My god, you Kings fans are crybabies. Pathetic.

Posted by Jean-Paul on 05/06/12 at 10:22 PM ET

“Welcome to the big leagues, Kings.  This is what happens in the playoffs, people actually watch you play outside your market and you get the big boys coming in for broadcasts.  It’s better for hockey, too, rather than listening to some moronic local homers.  Suck it up.”

Well Jean Poop, first off Emrick was the Devil broadcaster up until 2011, so essentially he is the Devils local homer.

And secondly,  as far as objective hockey coverage is concerned, Emrick isn’t fit to sniff the skidmarks in Bob Miller’s used BVD’s   Emrick is no “big boy”  He’s a hack.

So please, you can shove your ignorant opinion, the same place your head is at… I.e. Your ass.

You want pathetic?  Jean Fool? Look in the mirror.

Posted by The Truth on 06/05/12 at 07:25 AM ET