No Discipline For Michalek

via TSN,

The NHL has decided that no suspension or fine will be handed to Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Zbynek Michalek for his hit on Washington’s Matt Hendricks on Sunday night.

Michalek was assessed a minor elbowing penalty for the hit just before the mid-way mark of the second period. Michalek made contact with Hendricks in the end boards behind the Pittsburgh net shortly after Hendricks played the puck.

The 29-year-old Czech defender has no previous suspension history in the NHL.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: zbynek+michalek

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Cue The Bettman Loves the Pens BS! Shouldn’t have been suspended ! Fine possibly but Z is not that type of player to do that & has no history

Posted by Evilpens on 01/23/12 at 08:53 PM ET

Pens fan here. I have to say that michalek should have gotten a few games for this.  Bad hit, dangerous hit. cuz I have a feeling ovi wont be as lucky.

Posted by jt from pittsburgh on 01/23/12 at 09:06 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Should have received at least one game…  if not more.  How can that be okay?  I know a penalty was called… but c’mon man!

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 01/23/12 at 09:39 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

I wouldn’t have had a problem if Michalek got a game. It may have helped that he admitted that it was a bad play after the game yesterday. Still, with the over-the-top suspension of Cooke last year and Engelland this year, considering he was a first-time offender, the Penguins caught a break. Finally.

Posted by cs6687 on 01/23/12 at 09:45 PM ET

Z should have at least been fined.  Without a fine, then he is not on the list of players who have previous history.

Anyone who hits a players head with a hit, should at the very least be fined to make sure they are placed on the previous history list.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/23/12 at 09:49 PM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/23/12 at 06:49 PM ET

Agreed, just because that’s the way it seems to go.  Had Hendricks been injured Z would have gotten multiple games.  This is the type of play that needs out of the game.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 01/23/12 at 09:52 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Yeah…pretty surprised there was no fine.  Michalek doesn’t usually do these kinds of things, though, so I’m sure that probably played a part in it.

I think he was probably anticipating Hendricks standing more upright as he was going into the boards, and that didn’t happen…so the result was a bad hit.  I read something about Z’s knee buckling, too, somewhere I think.

This isn’t an excuse in anyway, just an opinion.  I do think he should’ve been fined.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 01/23/12 at 10:09 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Has Luigi stated his disdain for this “garage league” over this horrible hit?  One which was not unlike the one that knocked his baby boy out of playing for so long.

I would rethink my participation in this league if I were in his position.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 01/23/12 at 10:26 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Wingsfan…..please never let that go.  That was fvcking hilarious.  As much as Gillies is a piece of shxt….. poorly chosen phrase Mario.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 02:31 AM ET

redxblack's avatar