NHL Statement On Tortorella Being Fined

NEW YORK (Jan. 4, 2012)—New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella has been fined for comments made following Monday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers.

“There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners,” said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. “People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did.”

Multiple reports are the fine is $30,000.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: john+tortorella

Comments

SolidTG7's avatar

Bet he feels dumb for apologizing since he got fined anyway.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 01/05/12 at 12:38 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Not a big fan of Tortorella, but strangely I find his run ins with the media in NY quite amusing.

I also find it refreshing for anyone in the league, no less the coach of the Rangers, to speak on the record and say what many people watching those strange calls, were thinking.

I’m sure little gary’s blood pressure went up a few points when he heard the comments.

Where can I send my $20 to help Torts.  pay the fine???

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/05/12 at 01:02 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Alien & Sedition Act is alive and well in the NHL.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/05/12 at 01:05 AM ET

glad somebody has said something. i’ve been watching a lot of games this year and seen a lot of marginal calls not get called. and vice versa as well: blatant calls not being made. it seems to me that the refs may have been told implicitly to keep the games interesting. and you will never hear that from an official. but for a coach to get fined for making comments that every hockey fan who watches the game is already thinking, is ludicrous. take a look back at the wings win over pittsburgh in the finals and you’ll see datsyuk get pulled down while making his way towards an open net. and we all know how that game ended, with hossa nearly scoring the tying goal. exciting sure, but, the integrity of the game has been compromised. its a ratings game. make it as exciting as possible. but, no one will ever admit to it.

Posted by thom from california on 01/05/12 at 01:53 AM ET

UMFan's avatar

I’m a little surprised the league didn’t suspend his ass as well. I sure would have. I mean I get that little Gary B and company can be incompetent in the way they run things, but you just can’t have a coach publicly question whether the league would conspire to fix a game.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 01/05/12 at 02:29 AM ET

But they did and they all saw it.  Are you blind?  It was the book depository!  Did anyone watch the Finals?
  Anyway, I was reflecting today that hockey officiating is very human, and I’m really glad.  These guys are part of the game too.  All refs at all levels love hockey.  And you can’t love hockey and want to see the integrity compromised.  I doubt all four of them felt okay about this one.  But that is coming from upstairs; especially for the “classic”.  They should have the All-Star game outdoors so that theatre is a good thing.
The point is, just think of how hard the job of officiating in the NHL is.  With the pressures, the crowds, the fact that people howl over every call you make or don’t make.  I do respect them.
Also, Sather said the same thing so it’ll be interesting to see if that comes up.
Coley….here’s to hating you.

Posted by Guerin'sBackcheck on 01/05/12 at 07:12 AM ET

I don’t know that anyone thinks that the NHL was “fixing” this game. A “fix” implies that a desired final result. I don’t think the NHL cared who won the game. They just wanted OT, from there on out I don’t think they cared who won. Fixing much more implies cheating to make money off of gambling. Which would be a much bigger problem. Though this instance is still a problem as the NHL should not be taking a game away from a team who is rightfully winning and put it in question.

It’s still bogus and Torts was right in saying something. You suspend him and it looks like a cover up. The NHL is smarter than you think, in this case the shit they pulled was too obvious. Slap Torts on the wrist, say thats absurd! and move on, a suspension would create even more undesired attention to the situation.

Its really sad how nothing can go untainted…sigh…

Posted by pstumba on 01/05/12 at 01:14 PM ET