NHL On NBC

NEW YORK – Aug. 25, 2010 – Two games featuring Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins against Alex Ovechkin of Washington Capitals, including the fourth annual NHL Winter Classic on New Year’s Day from Heinz Field, home to the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers; a possible Stanley Cup Final rematch between the champion Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers to kick off “Game of the Week” broadcasts; the debut of “Hockey Day in America”; and the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final highlight the sixth season of the NHL on NBC.

2011 BRIDGESTONE NHL WINTER CLASSIC

Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin will lead their respective teams in the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic when the Pittsburgh Penguins host the Washington Capitals in the fourth outdoor classic, an event Forbes magazine has called “the best new sporting event” of the last decade.

Bob Costas will host NBC Sports’ coverage from Pittsburgh’s Heinz Field – home of the Pittsburgh Steelers – live at 1 p.m. ET on New Year’s Day.

The first three Winter Classics have averaged 4.0 million viewers on NBC Sports. On January 1 this year, the Boston Bruins defeated the Philadelphia Flyers, 2-1, in overtime at Fenway Park.

“GAME OF THE WEEK” - FLEX SCHEDULE & CONSISTENT START TIMES

For the first time ever, all “Game of the Week” broadcasts will begin at 12:30 p.m. ET. For the fourth consecutive season, the NHL and NBC Sports will utilize flex scheduling, selecting from up to four games on Sunday afternoons.

At least 13 days prior to the scheduled games, the NHL and NBC Sports will announce one of those games as the “Game of the Week” to be broadcast during the NBC Sports window. The other games will remain available to the teams’ regional carrier but will not be televised during NBC Sports’ broadcast window.

NBC Sports will again broadcast the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final.

Following is the “Game of the Week” flexible schedule (all times 12:30 PM ET):

Tampa Bay Chicago

Sun. Apr. 10 Detroit Chicago
Boston New Jersey
Dallas Minnesota
Pittsburgh Atlanta

HOCKEY DAY IN AMERICA

As part of Hockey Weekend Across America in 2011, the NHL and NBC Sports will salute the roots of the sport with Hockey Day in America on Sunday, Feb. 20. Launched by USA Hockey in 2008, Hockey Weekend Across America is a nationwide initiative to celebrate the game and those involved at all levels and to expose hockey to new audiences. NBC Sports will celebrate the day-long event with regional NHL coverage.

More details about Hockey Day in America will be released at a later date.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nbc

Comments

All the Wings’ games are on Sundays.

And we do so well on Sundays… cool mad

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/25/10 at 04:47 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Looks like NBC is going to force alot of people into watching the Pens this year.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 08/25/10 at 04:55 PM ET

They’re also going to force a lot of people to watch a lot of Red Wings, Blackhawks, Flyers, and Rangers which is pretty much the same as last year and the year before.  What’s your point?

Posted by CrackDealer from Pittsburgh, PA on 08/25/10 at 05:35 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you see this article and post. We were just discussing this the other day. I told you that the league is gonna try to turn this into a multiple game event! You see what I mean about of the NHL always ruins the one thing they had right?

The NHL finally has a card to play, in that they could use this event to attract audiences. I knew that they were going to screw it up. They are gonna keep adding to this game, eventually its gonna loose its luster, then we wont have those big ratings on new years.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 05:56 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you going on about? Am I the only one who’s constantly confused by your posts?  Maybe I’m just disoriented by the exclamation points.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 08/25/10 at 06:42 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Am I the only one who’s constantly confused by your posts?

You actually read them?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/25/10 at 07:54 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Los Angeles Dallas

What the hell? Outside of Detroit, I didn’t think NBC recognized hockey games that were played outside of the Atlantic division.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 08/25/10 at 07:55 PM ET

SK77's avatar

You actually read them?

The new site will offer not only the option to ignore certain bloggers, but also posters ... right?

Posted by SK77 on 08/25/10 at 08:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

For all everyone’s griping, I only count 4 total opportunities for NBC to pick a Detroit game, and I guarantee they won’t nab all 4.

Feb. 20 will be PIT-CHI, not DET-MIN.
April 3rd will be NYR-PHI, not DET-MIN.

That will leave twice max the Wings will get on NBC, more than likely only once.  So everyone just shut the hell up about the Wings always being on NBC (BOS-DET maybe, and certainly CHI-DET at the end).

Posted by Primis on 08/25/10 at 08:51 PM ET

Los Angeles Dallas

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 08/25/10 at 05:55 PM ET

They’re just listing that game to humor the fans of those teams. Just like they’re never going to show St Louis Tampa Bay or Buffalo Minnesota.

If a teams not Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, Detroit, or Chicago or they’re not playing one of those teams, they’re not going to be shown on NBC during the regular season.

Those two teams are probably better off anyways. I always feel kind of sorry for all parties involved (fans, players, broadcasters, etc) when teams are forced to play Sundays on NBC in the central time zone. There is something so unnatural about a hockey game starting at 11:30AM.

Posted by Susan on 08/25/10 at 08:55 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 08/25/10 at 04:42 PM ET

Okay great.

All my life I was under the wrong impression. I wish someone had told me that when I say or write the name Tony, that actually meant I was calling for someone named Gabriel. Who knew?

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 09:21 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

What are posters?

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 09:30 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

You guys are going to have to read my post for longer than you might think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 09:32 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Besides whats so hard to understand?

The NHL have finally acquired an tool to attract new audiences. The Winter Classic has proven to bring in high ratings along with the non-typical hockey fan. It’s important that the league doesn’t add too much to the winter classic. Adding another game or another city will cause the event to loose some interest.

After the last winter classic between Philly and Boston, there has been alot of talk regarding the possibility of adding another city or another set of teams. It’s important that the league keeps people interest and doesn’t overdo. Having more than one game or one event might prove damaging.

Best thing for the league would be to take some of these winter classic viewers and turn them into your everyday hockey fans. A larger fan base would do wonders for the NHL.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 10:02 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

I’ll try to duplicate some of the mindless comments that I normally see from now on.:

Yeah, hockey on television rocks!

How about that?

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 10:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What are posters?

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/25/10 at 07:30 PM ET

Posters are commenters.  They are the people who post comments on blogs.  Bloggers are the people who write the articles that the posters comment on.  You are a poster, not a blogger.

That’s awfully big talk coming from the person on here who, over the last week, has dedicated the most words to saying the fewest things.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/25/10 at 11:25 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

5 consecutive posts and I’m no closer to understanding what your point is.

Considering your lack of etiquette in general, it really comes as no surprise that you’d see this site as your forum for personal communication.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 08/25/10 at 11:28 PM ET