Kukla's Korner Hockey
by Paul on 10/26/09 at 03:37 PM ET
NEW YORK (October 26, 2009) – The National Hockey League’s® strong business momentum from last season’s record-setting year continued through the first 100 games of the 2009-10 NHL® regular season. Fans are experiencing the NHL across League platforms in impressive numbers, with the League on-pace to set records in a number of areas.
Among the highlights:
· Through Oct. 21, attendance increased or remained even for 18 NHL teams compared to the same number of home games last season.
· Teams with the largest gains in attendance included the Boston Bruins, Atlanta Thrashers, Washington Capitals, New Jersey Devils, Florida Panthers and Columbus Blue Jackets.
· VERSUS’ NHL ratings through Oct. 19 were up 33% and viewership was up 10% from the same point last season.
· In Canada, all NHL national and local rightsholders are reporting significant viewership increases under the new viewership-measurement system.
· For the week of Oct. 5-11, NHL games were four of the top six most-watched sports programs on English-language television in Canada. CBC’s Hockey Night In Canada early regional coverage Saturday, Oct. 10, was the most-watched sports program with over 1.68 million viewers.
· For the week of Oct. 5-11, NHL programming comprised the top six most-watched sports programs on French-language television in Canada.
· Television ratings for 19 of the 24 U.S. NHL teams through Oct. 18 were up or even compared to last season.
· The Anaheim Ducks, Florida Panthers and New Jersey Devils reported triple-digit percentage increases in local ratings through the first two weeks of the season. One-third of the U.S. teams had a 50% increase or more.
· Comcast SportsNet Chicago delivered its highest Blackhawks regular-season rating ever on Wednesday, Oct. 14, for the Blackhawks’ home game against the Edmonton Oilers.
· Unique Visitors to NHL.com for the 2009-10 NHL regular season through Oct. 17 rose 25% compared to the same number of regular-season game days in 2008-09.
· Through the first 17 days of October, monthly Unique Visitors to NHL.com were up 36% compared to the same number of days of October in 2008.
· Video starts for NHL.com rose an incredible 139% during the first 17 days of October compared to the same number of the days of October 2008.
· The NHL has been successful in securing new corporate partnerships for the 2009-10 season, including ten-figure deals with Compuware and Enterprise.
· Sales for Shop.NHL.com are up 32% in FY ’10 compared to the same point in FY ’09.
· Sales at the NHL Powered By Reebok store in New York City are up over 11% in FY ’10 compared to the same point in FY ’09.
· Orders for NHL GameCenter LIVE™ are up 50% this season compared to the same the same point last season.
· Seven of the top 10 most-trafficked days all-time for NHL Mobile™, including the top three, have occurred during the 2009-10 season.
· Saturday, Oct. 3, 2009, is now the all-time top traffic day for NHL Mobile.
· The Pittsburgh Penguins this season launched an exclusive HD radio channel and are attracting record local radio audiences. The Penguins are one of the first major professional sports teams to launch such a channel.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com