NHL Live- What Do You Think?

It has been a couple weeks since NHL Live switched to the 4:00pm ET hour on the NHL Network and to be truthful, I haven’t been able to watch as much as when it was on at noon.

I also think the new background in the studio makes it look too small and both E.J. and Deb look trapped.

Basically the show has become a recap of what went on last night and also a preview of the games scheduled later in the day.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, NHL Network, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nhl+live

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

it’s better. I wish they would archive the shows every day, though. Go Wings, eat shark.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/27/11 at 06:29 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I usually don’t catch the show because is broadcast while I’m at work. My sat radio is in the car and I work at a desk in an office and XM wants an extra fee to listen on the web which my office has blocked anyway. Anyhow, I have been able to listen on occasion, but that was under the previous format. That show was ok, but I preferred to listen to the War Room. I also have not had the opportunity to listen to it much.

That being said, when I have the opportunity I do not watch the show on TV. I just don’t care to watch radio: it’s boring.

Overall, I’m finding the programming on Home Ice is becoming more vanilla and too much Scott Laughlin (sp?) surely obviously for sure. Five years ago, when I initially started listening to XM, the programming on Home Ice was interesting and compelling, but gradually each year they’ve been losing their personalities and diluting the content (same with the NHL Network). Early mornings now have audio from the NHLN recap. It’s pathetic to hear someone saying “see this…” on the radio. It’s devolved to the point where I’m inclined to not renew my XM subscription (Home Ice being the primary reason for keeping it).

I’m just getting started, but that’s all I’m going to say for now.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/27/11 at 06:30 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I much prefer the old version.  I wish they would have kept it and the time-slot and just started a new show in the new time-slot.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 04/27/11 at 06:51 PM ET

drimo's avatar

I enjoyed NHL Live when it was on from noon to two as I was able to listen to some of it during my lunch.  But now I can’t even catch NHL Live in the evenings because I don’t get home until 6pm.  Gord Stellick is ok, I appreciate his interviewing skills, but he doesn’t have the entertainment factor Don and Ej had.  These days I find myself listening to Puck Daddy Radio on podcast more than Home Ice, plus I have taken a liking to Sirius XM’s music channels.

Posted by drimo from Cincinnati, OH on 04/27/11 at 07:25 PM ET

I’m out in LA, and the show would start at 9:00 am here.  It was great to get up in the morning, have some breakfast and watch Don and EJ discuss hockey.  In regards to the new set, it looks like the hosts are in a closet.  I assumed they were in a temporary set while a new set is under construction.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 04/27/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

In regards to the new set, it looks like the hosts are in a closet. I assumed they were in a temporary set while a new set is under construction.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 04/27/11 at 07:18 PM ET

Good way to put it but it is actually the same location with a drape hung in the back.  Although they may have moved the camera closer or played with the angle to give it a more intimate view.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/27/11 at 09:28 PM ET

Even Bettman made a comment about the new looks of the studio when he came on the show when it first moved to 4pm. His comment was along the lines that the studio was so dark, which I agree with. I miss Don interacting with EJ, the pair are way too funny together. But at least Deb is more pleasant than the other options they’ve gone with in the past. I get home from work at 4p so it’s nice to watch it.

Posted by mike from NJ on 04/28/11 at 10:55 AM ET

Don’t like it at all.

Posted by Frank from Chicago on 04/28/11 at 01:19 PM ET

I rarely watch/listen as I have to work and I’m in San Diego.  I do download the podcasts of the day’s interviews when I got home from work.  Since the new format started the podcasts are longer wait and not as much.  In the old format they’d have 3 or sometimes more interviews per day available by the end of that day.  Now forget it.  You barely get 1 interview that’s not available before the next day.

Bring back EJ, Don, Deb and Billy Jaffe.  Change the podcasts to be hour by hour vice the interviews.

Posted by James from San Diego on 04/29/11 at 05:14 PM ET