NHL Fines Tortorella $20K

NEW YORK (April 6, 2012)—New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella has been fined $20,000 for comments following NHL Game #1204 at Pittsburgh on Thursday, April 5, the National Hockey League announced today.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: john+tortorella

Comments

Awesome.

And to add to the great news, the pens just recalled MacIntyre for the flyers game.

Holy crap this game is going to be good.  I just hope Big Mac goes right for their star players the same way the flyers go after sid and geno and tanger.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/06/12 at 06:29 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Tinfoil hat type comments from Wing fans in 3…2…1…

Posted by pensfan29 on 04/06/12 at 06:32 PM ET

Maybe Tortorella should have reached onto the ice and tripped Cindy with a stick instead of talking about him.  Apparently there’s nothing the NHL could have done to him for that.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/06/12 at 06:36 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The first comment about the Red Wings comes from a Penguins fans in, well, beat me to it. Good thing we stay on task.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/06/12 at 06:40 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Respecting Paul’s wishes despite blatant attempts at provocation…

Tortorella deserved to get fined…

...even though he told the truth. The media should be saying what he said, not an NHL coach.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 06:42 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

The media should be saying what he said, not an NHL coach.

If the media agreed with what he said, they would (Larry Brooks notwithstanding). I think they don’t. They also realize it was an overreaction after a loss. Penguins haters are more upset than anyone.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 06:44 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Cindy. So cute. Nice to know we can discuss this maturely. Grow up.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 06:48 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Oh, Milbury spoke his mind a few days back. At least he has balls.

Old, smelly…there comes lunch back up…*blech

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 06:59 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Oh, Milbury spoke his mind a few days back. At least he has balls.

On a Philadelphia radio station. He was pandering to the audience. And pulling the Milbury card is like taking Stevie Wonder’s opinion of a beauty contest.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 07:02 PM ET

Torts should have also talked about their fans, the worst in the NHL. But they’re not arrogant because they probably don’t even know what it means. Classless, yes. Not sure if they’re dirty,although from the looks of them they don’t bathe a lot.

Posted by Alan from NYC on 04/06/12 at 07:05 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

This is coming from someone in New York. How’s the glass house?

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 07:06 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Tortorella’s remarks were rather nonsensical, but I don’t they warranted a fine.

The media should be saying what he said, not an NHL coach

Fox News might have been a prime candidate to spout that kind of nonsense, but Jesus didn’t play hockey.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 04/06/12 at 08:04 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I can’t even fathom what sort of European logic you’re attempting to use there.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 08:33 PM ET

starsfan26's avatar

Tortorella spoke his mind, why is there a fine for this?

I actually like honest interviews from players and coaches when they call each other out, it’s entertaining and it’s what creates rivalries.

Isn’t this what the NHL wants/needs?

Posted by starsfan26 on 04/06/12 at 08:37 PM ET

I’m a Pens fan, but I love having Tortorella in the league. If you watch his rant, you can almost see him calculating how much of a fine he’s willing to incur. As far as calling Crosby a whiner, it’s a non-issue. If he were a 30-point-per-year player, he’d be called “feisty” and “the type of player you need to win championships.” He’s hated as much as he is only because of how great he is.

Posted by Talmas from Pittsburgh, PA on 04/06/12 at 08:40 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Why am I not surprised?  If Tortorella had said those things about any other team (except Boston) he would have gone scot-free.  He criticized the Evil Garden Gnome’s faves and that cannot be done.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 04/06/12 at 08:43 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

He was also fined after the Winter Classic. Does that make the Flyers a league favorite as well?

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 08:51 PM ET

Does that make the Flyers a league favorite as well?

No, since he was criticizing the league and the officiating, not Mike Richards.

Posted by Garth on 04/06/12 at 08:57 PM ET

oh geeez!  Let me say this guy is defintely not speaking for all of us pens fans.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/06/12 at 09:07 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

No, since he was criticizing the league and the officiating, not Mike Richards.

If anyone really believes he was fined just for mentioning Sid and Geno as whiners, they’re an idiot.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 09:12 PM ET

Here comes big mac boys… i big middle finger to you Peter Lav for saying we sent out our goons (asham, vitale, and adams)—> not even close to goons.

Big Mac Attack

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/06/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

lol tortella says!!! what he thinks and get’s fined 20k. way to go nhl.com, Göbbels would be proud of you. freaking pathetic

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 04/06/12 at 09:24 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

It’s hilarious the jealousy and inferiority complex some people have about the Penguins. Crosby is hated simply because he’s great. That’s it. The whining accusation is a seven-year-old narrative from his first two seasons, when yes, he whined a bit. But he’s cut back on that considerably. But a reputation sticks forever right? He’s not allowed to change himself. Like I mentioned in another thread, you really have to be naive to think he’s the only player yelling at officials every game.

It’s just funny that Toews isn’t a ‘‘whiner’’ when he talks to officials. Same goes for Lidstrom, Mike Richards, or any other captain. Why is that? Put a camera on Mike Richards. You’ll be surprised how much he chirps. It’s not just Sid. For some reason, people want Sid to be a quiet, lead-by-example type. That’s not his style. Sid isn’t completely innocent. Yes, he does slash, cross-check etc. But do you really think he’s the only player who does that? And why does he get held to a higher standard? Is he just supposed to take shot after shot and skate away? I like that he has that fire in him. He wants to win just as much as anyone else.

But if you can’t beat them, throw out a conspiracy theory and watch the idiots run with it. The league loves Sid and the Penguins so much that David Steckel, Victor Hedman, and David Krejci were all suspended for hitting Sid within the last 15 months. Oh wait. You mean they weren’t? And Cooke served a 17-game suspension that included seven playoff games? That might have been 30 games had he not been a member of the Penguins. Right? Also, Kris Letang and Deryk Engelland also served multi-game suspensions this season. But the league loves the Penguins. Right?

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 09:30 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Crosby is hated simply because he’s great.

Howe was great, Gretzky was great, Lemieux was great, Yzerman was great, Orr was great, Bossy was great, both Bobby and Brett hull were great, Roy was great. The list could go on and on.

None of the aforementioned players were hated by fans and his own peers like Crosby.

He is not great. He has a long way to go to achieve greatness.

One Cup does not equal greatness.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/06/12 at 09:56 PM ET

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/06/12 at 08:56 PM ET

I would imagine most of them were hated at some point.  The fact that every player you listed played most of the prime of their careers before the internet boom speaks to that.  It’s funny how those that do not like the Pens or Sid think that because the Rangers and Flyers, two teams that are the Pens chief rivals, say something, it is obviously true.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/06/12 at 10:44 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I think part of the problem is that Crosby has a very expressive face and his facial expressions and body language are very often petulant appearing.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/06/12 at 10:45 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Before the internet everyone still had opinions. The point I am making is all the players I mentioned had long and distinguished careers and more than one Stanley Cup to back it up.

I never said Crosby wasn’t a good player. Just not great. Yet.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/06/12 at 11:09 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Isn’t this what the NHL wants/needs?

I love Torts, but no, the NHL needs to be less bush-league.

One of the silliest things I’ve ever heard.  Gretzky, Lemieux and Roy weren’t hated?

MacIntyre
Yeah, this guy should be allowed to play.  Real class video there.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/06/12 at 11:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wonder what the league would have done if Callahan had said he’d pay his coach’s fine. Not saying that he should have done that, I’m just wondering what the result would have been.

The media should be saying what he said, not an NHL coach.

You’re right, but it’s a tough spot for the diggers when the teams hold all the cards on giving them access. Just look at what the Islanders did to Chris Botta when he developed an agenda.  Teams holding that card over the media’s head has cut the balls out from under plenty of decent writers.

Honestly, I hadn’t really considered that, but it’s a good point. This has nothing to do with his level of skill or even his actual maturity level, but Sid Crosby has some big ol’ baby-lips.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/07/12 at 12:16 AM ET

I think Torts is a blowhard and an idiot sometimes, but he didn’t deserve the fine. That should have been dealt with inhouse. Why is Torts giving the Pens bulletin board material?

I have noticed over the couple of years that I’ve come to this site that some Wings fans have what looks to me like an unhealthy obsession with the Pens. Something about making them feel better to come on Pens article sites and pontificate in an passive-aggressive way. I could understand that if you were fans of a loser, but don’t you have better things to do….like your own playoffs? I skim some of the Wings posts just to keep up with hockey, sometimes even reading the comments, but I don’t feel a need to engage the fanbase. I’ve got a lot better things to do. I realize that some Pens fans find a need to comment, but it seems they are usually treated as trolls. I guess that doesn’t work both ways, eh?

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/07/12 at 12:45 AM ET

Paul's avatar

VAHockeyFan, I’d like you to point out one Pens fan who has been treated as a troll.

I have not banned one Pittsburgh fan, or even thought of it for that matter.

If you are talking about other KK members doing so, I hardly see any troll mention and if I do, I normally step right in and set the record straight.

And it doesn’t matte what team they cheer for, all are treated equally and truthfully, most of the members I really don’t know who their favorite team is.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/07/12 at 12:51 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

And that’s why you are the coolest dude in hockey Paul.  A paragon of ethics and stoke.  Sorry about the insult-hurling.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/07/12 at 01:06 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I blame Don Cherry and Matt Cooke.

Posted by Primis on 04/07/12 at 03:40 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Looks like Tony Granato has a history of getting into bench arguments. Guy’s lucky he’s still alive after getting the Death Stare…back when Babcock could actually coach.

HAAAAA I kid.

And this post is off topic.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/07/12 at 03:44 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

There is a huge difference between respect and hate. Maybe Roy, a little. But, mostly respect.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/12 at 09:09 AM ET

Paul: I stand corrected if outside team posters are not being treated as trolls on the Wings’ stories. I admit that actually haven’t read through those comments in a while, but I do remember some troll references in the past when I have.

Of course, this is a public site that covers all of hockey, and fan back and forth is what it’s all about. I’m just getting worn down by the Wings posters who come on every Pens story to pontificate about the same old dribble…..Crysbaby, worst fanbase, no class, Bettman favorite. I do appreciate intellgent banter, but it seems to be the same old thing. And, I admit, some of the Pens commenters (or at least one in particular) make the rest of us somewhat intelligent Pens commenters look really bad. I’m beginning to think it is a Wings poster in disguise. wink

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/07/12 at 12:57 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for responding VAHF and the explanation too.

I also keep on eye on IP addresses, trying to make sure a member isn’t coming in as a guest and making such remarks.  I am happy to say it doesn’t happen very often.

IP addresses also give me a general geographical location, helping me further decide if a comment should be treated as someone being a troll and again, this only happens in rare instances.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/07/12 at 01:01 PM ET