NHL 12 Update: Yzerman Confirmed as Legend

image

Just caught this via EA’s NHL 12 Twitter feed moments ago…

Steve Yzerman makes his return to the videogame world as a legend in #NHL12 - @DetroitRedWings fans, love it? http://t.co/89rFPjI

image
Click here for the full sized screenshot via EA’s NHL 12 Twitter account.

UPDATE: I’ve noticed several Wings fans around the internet complaining about the fact that Yzerman is shown wearing Reebok gloves, as well as using a Reebok 10K stick… when he actually wore Easton gloves and used Easton sticks for the majority of his career, as proven by the below photo.

image
Photo via Hockey Forum.com’s Gallery

I didn’t even notice this myself at first, as I was more excited about the news itself, but I knew something didn’t look quite right. It is quite surprising that EA would make such a simple oversight, considering what we have seen in the few teaser trailers for Legends so far, and it looks like they went to great lengths to capture each Legend’s smallest little nuances… yet made such a simple and basic oversight when it comes to Stevie Y’s equipment.

Personally, I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal… I’m just thrilled that he’s going to be in the game, as life-long Red Wings fan. Plus, you can always go in and “edit” players in the game, so if you are really anal about this kind of thing, you can go and “fix” this little oversight by slapping on the “correct” gear. As I’ve had to do for the past two seasons with Jimmy Howard’s neck-guard. That is if this minor oversight isn’t already fixed in the game by the time it is released, via a roster update, in which they not only adjust stats, but also update equipment to be accurate, usually for goaltender’s pads.

Also, as I made a point about in a comment following this post… since the Legends will initially be “locked” for general use outside of the All-Legends Team and HUT, and that you will have to unlock them by preforming “Legendary Milestones” in your own Be a Pro career. I have the feeling that Yzerman’s “unlock” milestone will probably be something along the lines of scoring the game winning goal in an overtime period of a Game 7 of the NHL playoffs… as that is with little argument his most famous and historic individual career moment. Just some speculation on my part though.

This comes as quite the surprise, as I figured we’d likely get the remaining six Legends announced in videos similar to the first one we saw late last week. It’s also surprising because it’s a player which we have had no hints at thus far… which pretty much brings the list of 9 Legends down to one last single mystery spot. Which considering some of the names Wayne Gretzky dropped in his recent USA Today interview about NHL 12... I’m thinking it’s either going to be Messier, Beliveau, or possibly even Paul Coffey.

Then again, this came as a total surprise today… so perhaps EA has some more surprises in store for us this week. As always, stay tuned, as when not sleeping, I’ll be keeping my ear to the ground, and the moment I hear something, expect to see it pop up here on Cluster Pucks at Kukla’s Korner.

Filed in: Fantasy Hockey and Gaming, Doug Miller, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ea+sports+nhl+12, steve+yzerman

Comments

Heeeeeeellllll, yeah!!!!

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 08/16/11 at 07:25 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Heeeeeeellllll, yeah!!!! Posted by Zqto from Brazil

My thoughts exactly… and this came as a bit of a surprise, in a few ways, so kudos to EA for rewarding me for stalking their news feeds all day!

My only disappointment is that there isn’t a “Hey, Hey, Hockeytown!” achievement in the game now, which I imagine would be have been something along the lines of “Score the Game Winning Goal in an Overtime Period of Game 7 of an NHL Playoff Game in Your Be a Pro Career”.

Although something like this might still be one of those “Legendary Milestones” I was talking about the other day… as Gretzky is supposed to have those in-game videos talking about when other Legends achieved historic career moments…

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/16/11 at 07:47 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

lol that would be awesome.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 08/16/11 at 08:38 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

lol that would be awesome. Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI

Yeah, it would be, but the full achievements list for the game has already been posted, and this was not included. You can find a link to the entire list in one of my older NHL 12 Updates, which notes the achievements in the title of said post.

However I’ve updated this post with some recent thoughts and possible insights, which still might involve said historic moment.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/16/11 at 09:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So Yzerman, and Howe both?

There are going to be some very angry fans of other teams wondering why there are multiple Wings, especially if Lidstrom ends up in there as well somehow.

Posted by Primis on 08/16/11 at 09:33 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

So Yzerman, and Howe both?

Posted by Primis

Lidstrom won’t be one of the 9 “Legends” as he is still currently playing. Although I would be shocked if he wasn’t included in the “All-Legend Team” consisting of these 9 Legends and current NHL Superstars.

It’s also worth pointing out that there will likely be two Boston players, Bourque is already confirmed, and Orr has been hinted at. Also, should the mystery goaltender be Roy, which seems likely, and Beliveau (or M. Richard) is the last “mystery player” included, that makes for two Canadians.

Same goes for Paul Coffey, although I think he’s a longshot at this point, as I don’t see 4 forwards and 4 defensemen… but if he were in he would would likely represent Edmonton. The same goes if EA throws us for a total loop and that goaltender is Grant Fuhr, also likely to represent the Oilers. I still think Roy is all but a lock though, even though there has been no hints at the goalie, other than the modern shape of his mask.

The same could be said if that last player turns out to be Bobby Hull, as along with Chelios, that makes for two Blackhawks.

At this point I’m starting to think that last mystery player could be Messier, but I have the feeling he would represent the Rangers, and not the Oilers.

Really though… this Yzerman news comes as a pretty big surprise, as deserving as he is of being on this list, I thought he might be left out simply because of Howe’s inclusion… but I’m glad that didn’t happen, personally.

As a Wings fan… I’m already dreaming about what it is going to be like to have Datsyuk, Yzerman, and Howe on a line together… with new and improved AI… be it in Be a GM mode, or on my HUT team… assuming I could somehow get all of their cards around the same time, without spending a ton of cash for random card packs. Very exciting none the less.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/16/11 at 10:00 PM ET

CaliforniaPuck31's avatar

And Murray still looks nothing like himself.

Posted by CaliforniaPuck31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 08/16/11 at 11:24 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

And Murray still looks nothing like himself. Posted by CPSLOgoalie31

Yeah, I also noticed several people pointing that out as well, in regards to this screenshot.

However, I’ve read several reports from media folk who did get to play the game back at EA’s Summer Showcase, and were allowed to pick any current NHL team, and the overall word seems to be, that for the most part, EA has done a tremendous amount of work this year on getting as many players appearances as accurate as they can.

I highly suspect there is an entire small team of people at EA Canada who’s job consists of nothing but this… considering they have hundreds upon hundreds of players from a huge variety of leagues to work on, and given their short development cycle… players are going to get missed and/or screwed up in the process.

Although I would think they would put first emphasis on NHL players, and stars at that. Murray has grown quite a bit as a player as of late, but he hasn’t quite reached that star status in my mind, and thus could likely be the reason for things being what they are.

What really shocked me is in one of the early video clips released, which shows Tim Thomas getting his masked knocked off… his face had yet to be updated from previous years, at least at that time. I hope that’s been fixed though, considering Thomas has more than earned his due at this point in his career… and his appearance has to be one of the “most off” in the entire game, in my opinion.

Hopefully one day they will get close to having everyone right… but again, considering the staggering amount of players involved… this is quite the task. However, once they get that down better, they can finally add in one of my personal most requested little features… realistic playoff beard growth!

Sounds silly and stupid I know, but it’s the little things like that which count in my mind towards making the game more realistic, and thus, better overall. Like the small but subtle addition of Stanley Cup Final patches on sweaters for teams playing in the finals, which has been added in NHL 12 this year.

Of course gameplay enhancements and AI improvements will always be more welcome, as these big things are ultimately more important in the long run… but I like the little things too.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/17/11 at 12:01 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/17/11 at 02:35 AM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

With equipment nerds like me in the picture, I’m sure there’s a, “Yzerman in Eastons or TPS gear, or do they still have Jofas and Titan TPM sticks?” thread somewhere… Posted by George Malik

I’m sure there is… and I can’t speak for the full equipment list in NHL 12 yet, because not everything has been confirmed… but going from NHL 11… TPS R10 golves were in the game, along with Easton’s EQ5s and 4 Rolls. Jofa wise, all they had was their classic helmet. Titan stick wise… there was a Titan stick in NHL 11, but it was just simply called “Titan Retro Stick”, so I’m not sure if it’s the same as the Titan TPM model. I’d look it up, but I was about to grab some much needed sleep.

There will be some more gear in NHL 12, but it’s mostly newer model stuff, unless EA goes out of their way to accommodate for the Legends, which doesn’t appear to be the case thus far.

I’m an equipment nerd too… but typically only when it comes to goalie equipment. wink

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/17/11 at 09:26 AM ET