Kukla's Korner Hockey
by Paul on 02/15/14 at 05:23 PM ET
Slovenia 3, Slovakia 1
USA 3, Russia 2 (SO)
Switzerland 1, Czech Republic 0
Sweden 5, Latvia 3
OSHIE SHOOTS USA PAST RUSSIA
T.J. Oshie (St. Louis Blues) converted 4-of-6 shootout attempts, including the deciding goal in the eighth round of the tiebreaker, to help the USA edge Russia. Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings) made 29 saves and denied 5-of-8 shootout attempts.
SLOVENIA USES STRONG THIRD TO PICK UP FIRST VICTORY
Deadlocked at 0-0 entering the third period, Slovenia scored three consecutive goals – including the insurance marker by Anze Kopitar (Los Angeles Kings) – to pick up its first Olympic hockey victory.
HILLER, SWITZERLAND (AGAIN) EKE OUT WIN
Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks) made 26 saves for his second shutout in as many starts and Simon Bodenmann scored the lone goal to power Switzerland past the Czech Republic. With the win, Switzerland finished second in Group C with a 2-0-0-1 record.
SWEDEN OVERCOMES SLOW START TO DEFEAT LATVIA
Trailing 2-1 early in the second period, Sweden scored three consecutive power-play goals to defeat Latvia and finish atop Group C with a 3-0-0-0 record. Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators) posted 1-1—2 and now leads the tournament with 3-2—5 in three games.
OSHIE WORKS SHOOTOUT MAGIC
T.J. Oshie (St. Louis Blues) converted 4-of-6 shootout attempts, including the winning goal in the eighth round of the tiebreaker, to lift the USA over Russia.
* Oshie is tied for the NHL lead with seven shootout goals in 10 attempts this season. His 70.0% conversion rate leads all players with a minimum of 10 attempts.
* Three of Oshie’s seven shootout goals this season have been game-deciders, tied for third in the NHL.
* In his NHL career, Oshie is 25-of-46 (54.3%) in the shootout with 12 game-deciding goals. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, his 54.3% success rate ranks third all-time (minimum: 20 goals), behind Slava Kozlov (27-of-46, 58.7%) and Frans Nielsen (30-of-55, 54.5%).
* Oshie has 14-32—46 in 57 games this season. He is five shy of his career high in goals, three shy of his career high in assists and eight shy of his career high in points, all set in 80 games during the 2011-12 season.
* Oshie and his hometown of Warroad, Minn., will be featured on Saturday’s edition of the “NBC Nightly News” (6:30 p.m. ET). Click here to learn more about Oshie and Warroad, which has become a hotbed for U.S. Olympians.
Information above was supplied by the NHL PR department
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org