NHL Cancels Games Through December 30th

NEW YORK (December 10, 2012)--The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012-13 regular-season schedule through December 30. The cancellations are necessary due to the absence of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players’ Association and the NHL.

A total of 526 regular-season games—42.8 percent of the season—were scheduled for October 11 through December 30.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

GASP!!
I didn’t see this coming.

Just put us out of our misery and cancel the whole damn thing already

Posted by Pulsar93 on 12/10/12 at 03:15 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Shouldn’t it be Jan 2, since the Winter Classic was canned a while ago?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/10/12 at 03:16 PM ET

The WC needed a bunch of ramp up and pre-construction, so it had to be cancelled well ahead of it’s actual game date.

And it was probably a negotiating ploy as well. smile

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/10/12 at 03:42 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I agree with what was posted above, at this point, just cancel the whole damn thing.

Thanks, NHL, for saving me upwards of $2k this year in air fare, hotels, subscriptions to center ice, game tickets and merchandise.  I think I’ll save that amount next year too, even if you decide to play.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 12/10/12 at 03:42 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Funniest take yet on the the lockout:

—I guess the NHL lockout has now affected Christmas. My nine-year-old son no longer wants hockey equipment and/or pictures of his favorite NHL players. Instead, he wants a miniature NHL podium, the same sweater (child’s size) that Steve Fehr was wearing last Thursday night in New York, Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr trading cards and the kids version of the NHL Salary Cap card game. It’s a blackjack-style game in which you draw cards until either hitting or coming as close to 50 on the owners’ side. The player on the players’ side then tries to do the same, to get as close to 50, but can go as high as 57. The game tells you, in no uncertain terms, the rules could change momentarily. He also wants his parents to keep some “transitional money” to buy gifts early in the New Year.

CBC’s Gord Stellick, Stellicktricity: Riding the NHL roller coaster

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 12/10/12 at 03:49 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

42.8% of the games…

Thats 35 games out of an 82-game season (leaving 47 to be played).  The magic number of 48 keeps coming up in discussions regarding the minimum possible length of a season.  Coincidence?  Doubtful.

I imagine that the league has 1 more set of “cancellations” up their sleeve and that this is a bit of showmanship to scare the PA into making a deal now.  (If the league has to make that last set of cancellations, it will just result in games being tacked on to the end of the season and a delayed start to the playoffs)

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 12/10/12 at 03:50 PM ET

I don’t know how that’s going to work, though, if it’s even the intent.

The NHLPA is pretty obviously not negotiating this issue based on financial realities.  I don’t know exactly what they are bargaining on, but the real dollars isn’t it.

They’ve already lost way more money than they were holding out and trying to get ‘made whole’ on, so if they were just trying to maximize dollars in wallets they would have caved a while back and been playing for a couple months already.

Given that, I’m not sure how threatening to cancel a season or getting right up to cancelling a season is going to have any real impact on either the NHLPA or Fehr.  They’re obviously negotiating out of principle, or misinformation, or anger, or spite, or some other emotion or belief structure, so I don’t see why whatever that is would change any quicker than it did back in 2005.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/10/12 at 05:07 PM ET

Of course you don’t, even though many people have attempted to explain to you what they’re bargaining on…

Posted by Garth on 12/10/12 at 05:29 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

I don’t know how that’s going to work, though, if it’s even the intent.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/10/12 at 04:07 PM ET

I never said anything about any of this “working.”  Just identifying what appears (to my eyes) to be the NHL’s strategy.

You seem to be fishing for an argument.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 12/10/12 at 06:09 PM ET

Enh, you guys are just making a bunch of guesses.  You don’t have any idea what they are basing their stances on, really.

I don’t either, but at least I admit that.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/10/12 at 09:26 PM ET

Right.  My point is that I can’t see why the NHL would choose that strategy given what they (should) know about how the NHLPA bargains.

So, that being such a clueless choice, I don’t think the NHL would choose it.  It would be like choosing to shoot glove side on a guy with a great glove hand.  Why do it?  There are other, better, places to aim.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/10/12 at 09:38 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

This is newsworthy…..?

I believe game were previously wiped out up till the 15th. Today is the 10th, did anyone Really expect games to be played in just 6 days ....considering an agreement would have to voted on by players (700 +) & BOG members, and then some semblance of training camp????

Sorry, that’s not news, that’s just simple math.

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/10/12 at 11:26 PM ET

that’s just simple math.

So phuck, now I have to use math to read the internet? Why didn’t I get the new service agreement? I’d have never agreed to such onerous terms.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/11/12 at 10:47 AM ET