New York Rangers advance to the Stanley Cup Final

I wouldn't say that itw as a pretty win, but the Montreal Canadiens seemed to run out of gas minus Alexei Emelin of all people in their lineup, and perhaps the Habs won their "Stanley Cup" when they beat the Bruins...

Because they were simply not good at all in their 1-0 loss to the New York Rangers, who've advanced to the Stanley Cup Final in six games.

Henrik Lundqvist was majestic at times, but 18 shots--5 in the 3rd period--and Thomas Vanek sitting on the bench for the vast majority of your 6-on-5 time ain't gonna cut it, even with Dustin Tokarski playing his brains out.

Congrats to the Rangers, and Dominic Moore, who scored the biggest goal of his career. I'm sure that Gary Bettman's hoping for an NY-LA final.

The goal of note:

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

SK77's avatar

I’m sure that Gary Bettman’s hoping for an NY-LA final.

One of the few times in my life that Lil’ Gary and I are hoping for the same thing.

Kings in six.

Posted by SK77 on 05/29/14 at 10:44 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Whomever advances from the West, this impending SCF has the feel of Anaheim v Ottawa redux.  I can’t see the Rangers accomplishing much against Kings or Hawks.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/29/14 at 10:58 PM ET

I can’t see the Rangers accomplishing much against Kings or Hawks

I was interested to hear the NYR were 2-0 against Chicago this season and 1-1 against LAK losing at home and winning on the road. Now none of this has a goddamn thing to do with the playoffs but i dont think they are going to be a pushover like everyone else thinks.

Posted by weswolverine on 05/29/14 at 11:36 PM ET

SK77's avatar

You might also be interested to hear that the Wings were 3-1 against Boston this season, outscoring them 13 to 9. Now none of this has a goddamn thing to do with the playoffs but having watched the playoffs this year ... New York doesn’t match up for shiet versus a team like Los Angeles.

Posted by SK77 on 05/29/14 at 11:58 PM ET

Great thing about the playoffs, gotta play the games. We’ll see.

By the way, LA isn’t done with Chicago yet. Something tells me they are going to wish they had put them away in game 5.

Posted by weswolverine on 05/30/14 at 12:14 AM ET

LA, a team that has a lot of trouble scoring goals, has scored a shiteload against a crap goalie. They’re not scoring most of those goals against Hank. And the Rangers are FAR superior defensively than Chicago. It’s gonna be fun but not easy for either team. Best two goalies in the world. Gaby vs his old team. Flyers west vs the Rangers. I cannot wait. So proud of what the Rangers have accomplished, and they will not be pushovers to the WCF champs.

Posted by ryanloral on 05/30/14 at 02:16 AM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

I think a Rangers win is unlikely against either team, but I don’t think they’re going to be as much of a pushover as many seem to. Lundqvist has stolen multiple games this postseason and they have been getting timely goals from throughout their lineup, as well as stellar play from their #1 d-man. I wouldn’t bet on them, but I wouldn’t count them out, either. They also may be facing a more physically and mentally exhausted team coming out of the Western gauntlet, where the quality of competition is higher.

I still pick the Kings to win it all, but I think the Rangers can make it interesting.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 05/30/14 at 02:49 AM ET

perfection's avatar

and perhaps the Habs won their “Stanley Cup” when they beat the Bruins…

...or perhaps they lost it when Price went down

it is kinda interesting with all the talk of parity and small markets, the 3 teams fighting for the cup are currently New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, by far the three biggest markets in the US. like it’s Nintendo hockey or something. probably a coincidence but still…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/30/14 at 03:12 AM ET

And the Rangers are FAR superior defensively than Chicago.

Ah, east coast bias already.  Obviously, you know nothing about the Blackhawks’ outstanding defense or its “crap” goalie, who happened to lead that same “FAR” inferior d to a cup last year.

Posted by jkm2011 on 05/30/14 at 10:19 AM ET