Need A Dman? How About Kuba?

via TSN,

The Florida Panthers decided to buy out the remaining year of Filip Kuba's contract on Wednesday.

The 36-year-old blue liner, who signed as an unrestricted free agent last summer, carried a cap hit of $4 million next season.

It is not a compliance buyout, meaning the buyout amount will count against the Panthers' salary cap.

Since the deal included a no-movement clause, Kuba does not have to clear waivers to become an unrestricted free agent.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Florida Panthers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: filip+kuba

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He’s the definition of puck-moving d-man.  He’s an assist machine.  Gets the puck to the right people.

Problem is we’re already at 7 and we’d have to trade someone we already have and I don’t think any of Detroits Dmen are willing to be parted with.

I can’t wait to watch DDK play a full season either.  Guy was damn good.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 05:15 PM ET

Tomas Kaberle’s available, too.  Kenny going once…twice…fwee times a mady.

I just don’t see him in a Wings sweater anymore.  I liked him when he was with MTL, but that ship has sailed far, far away.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/03/13 at 05:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Do you trade Q or Lashoff?

I’d say Kindle but I think he’s uh…not touchable now.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/03/13 at 05:30 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Keep Lash, once he gets comfortable and stops playing like a rookie and starts playing like a big brass balled fuch, he’ll be rock and roll.

I’d rather have Ference to be honest.  Then I’d move Q

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 05:38 PM ET

Then I’d move Q

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 06:38 PM ET

But…but…but Kenny traded a firster and a prospect (puck-moving defenseman Sebastian Piche) to the Yzerbolts for Q.  Q’s not going anywhere.  He’ll move Jesus Lashoff before Q.

Ugh.  Has it come to this now?

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/03/13 at 05:47 PM ET

I seriously doubt Lashoff is going anywhere and Kenny sure as shit isn’t going to dump Q now. Detroit still needs to add a cheap veteran d-man in case of injuries but I doubt it’d be anybody of real interest. My concern with the defense is the possibility of Smith and DDK, with their inexperience, going through struggles and not having anyone reliable to fill in.

I like Ference too but anything over $2 million is probably more than Holland is willing to shell out.

Posted by godblender on 07/03/13 at 05:55 PM ET

Also, who would take Q?  Holland would think he should get a 1st for Q because that’s what he gave up, but nobody’s going to give up a first for him…

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 06:00 PM ET

I’d give up Q before I give up Lashoff even if Q has a slightly better shot, which is why he’s on the friggin’ PP.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/03/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

If he was 32 I’d jump at the opportunity to sign Kuba but, he’s not.  When he played for Tampa, he moved well laterally on the PP and had a big shot (tell me Vinny didn’t benefit from that) but now that he’s 36, what’s left ??  His last couple of years in Ottawa he was over-shadowed by Karlsson and last season in Florida no one here in Detroit never saw because he was in the east playing for a team no one paid attention to.

It would be perfect if they could trade Queasy & a low 2014 draft choice for a 3/4 Dman (which could still happen) but its starting to sound like KH is going to scrape the barrel for a couple of Kent Huskins types to sign in case of injury and add some experience to the GR roster.

He likes the way “the kids” improved over the course of the season and once DeKeyser got here, things seemed to jell quite nicely.

Another season of improvement from “the kids” .. DeKeyser doesn’t break his thumb again .. do we really need a Filip Kuba ??

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/03/13 at 08:07 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Shit, bring Billins up if things get hairy.  Guy’s an assist machine too.  Look what happened when we gave Lashoff a shot.  He wasn’t even a blip on the radar of the brass until they were forced to play him.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 09:01 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

I actually watched the one GR game Fox Sports Detroit aired.  I was trying to come up with a good reason for not thinking Billins stood out like he didn’t belong stuck in the AHL ... just couldn’t think of one.  He kinda reminded me of a poor man’s Rafalski.  For a little guy he skates very well ... long smooth strides ... picks the right times to shoot from the point.  Why he’s not signed to a 2-way contract at the very least just baffles me.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/04/13 at 12:47 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Kuba is very mercurial. In 2010-11 he was horrible by any metric you can measure. Just terrible.

In 2011-12, he was like a whole new player - many Ottawa fans would have been happy to see him back (if there was some way of ensuring he wouldn’t go back to his form of the previous season). Particularly since he had good chemistry with Karlsson. Now he’s being bought out of the last year of his contract in Florida after what appears to have been a pretty poor season for him.

If someone signs him to a cheap deal and gets the player he was in 2011-12, he’ll be a steal. If he signs anywhere and plays like he did in 2010-11, that club will be worse for having him.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 07/04/13 at 07:32 AM ET