NBA Or NHL?

from Patrick Reusse of 1500ESPN (also writes for the Star Tribune),

The difference between the NBA and the NHL in the playoffs is simple: In the NBA, you play to 105 points and the best team generally is going to win. In the NHL, you play to three goals and it's a coin flip.

During the Wild's series with the Blackhawks, hockey interest was high around here and people would ask me, even me, "Who is going to win tonight?''

My answer was consistent: "Don't know. It's going to be 2-2 in the final 10 minutes and then one team is going to score.''

Hockey fans embrace the unpredictably that has taken over the playoffs. Fair enough. But for me, it's more interesting to watch the two best basketball teams in the world play for a title, than a fifth seed against a sixth seed.

Among the Twitter ridicule from the puckheads toward the NBA was this: There have been eight franchises that have won the past 30 titles. To me, that means that in more than any sport, you have to put together a tremendous foundation to win a title.

And, if this is the criteria that lifts the NHL over the NBA - the variety in champions over the past three decades - then the NHL takes a back seat to baseball, the sport ridiculed most often for its lack of parity.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nba

Comments

This is strange espn has always been such a big fan of the nhl.  Go drown is a pool of crosby tears

Posted by SlimChance on 06/02/14 at 02:56 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

People still watch professional basketball?

Posted by Hootinani on 06/02/14 at 02:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

P, for me, it has been 3 years, not one second of any game.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/02/14 at 02:59 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

P, for me, it has been 3 years, not one second of any game.
Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/02/14 at 02:59 PM ET

I havent watched an NBA game since 89-90.  They had a mobbed up ref for cryin out loud.  Whats the point after that?

Posted by Hootinani on 06/02/14 at 03:06 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

NBA? What the hell is that? (cue Bill Murray and Steve Martin)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/02/14 at 05:15 PM ET

I’ve seen Thornton put his fingers on D.Sedin’s face in front of the ref and it was a hilarious highlight reel.

I’ve seen some Pacers dude briefly pass his hand over Lebron face’s and there was talk of how “classless” that was.

Gimme-a-fuching-break, treeball league.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/02/14 at 05:26 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

I think the NBA and the NHL have two extremes, neither of which is good.  In the NBA, there are only four teams (give or take) that can win and you know who they are at the start of the season.  There is no surprise.

The NHL can have a team that really has no business being in the playoffs just by having a hot goalie at the right time.  The regular season is mostly unimportant as seeding and home ice don’t mean much.

I think MLB & NFL have the best mix of suspense yet having the regular season matter as well as teams having to build the right way.

Don’t get me wrong, I hate the NBA.  But the NHL blew it two decades ago and has never caught up.  The NBA destroys the NHL in ratings and are on the sports flagship.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 06/02/14 at 10:24 PM ET