Nazem Kadri On Donald Trump

from Sean Fitz-Gerald of the Toronto Star,

Nazem Kadri, a Canadian and a Muslim, was asked about Donald Trump on Wednesday, two days after the bombastic Republican presidential candidate urged the United States to undertake, in the name of national security, a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslims entering the country.

As a centre with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Kadri often travels to the U.S. for business. A Trump spokesman told The Associated Press the proposed shutdown would also apply to tourists. It was not immediately clear if it would apply to professional athletes, as well.

“I think he’s hurting his own campaign, to be honest,” Kadri said. “I mean, I think he’s pretty delusional. But his opinion’s his opinion.”

continued

Please if you wish to comment, don't make this a political battle.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: donald+trump, nazem+kadri

Comments

The sad thing is, I’m not sure he’s actually hurting his campaign to become the nominee.  On the bright side, he’s got zero chance in a general election.

Posted by Wise1 on 12/10/15 at 08:44 AM ET

Posted by Wise1 on 12/10/15 at 07:44 AM ET

Against whom? Criminal Hillary? Yeah, we re doomed.

And Trump says what most a lot of people think, whether they admit to it or not.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 08:50 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Agreed.
The fact that he says stuff like that and a sect of people agree is the scariest thing.

What’s next? Tattooing each Muslim so that they have a registry of them?
Perhaps put them in their own concentration camps? And if they get out of line, herd them into a large shower room with deadly gasses?

Do people even realize that ISIS has murdered far more Muslims than any other denomination?

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 09:13 AM ET

Agreed.

What’s next? Tattooing each Muslim so that they have a registry of them?

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 08:13 AM ET

It’s amazing how people just listen to blaber on TV without coming up with their own opinions. What he said was completely taken out of context.
A lot of people coming here from middle east are not properly vetted. Look what happened in California.
There is nothing wrong without stopping influx of people from those countries until vetting process can be fixed.
Sorry, you can try to be politically correct all you want, but I don’t want my family slaughtered by some nut who came into this country to do harm and wasn’t properly vetted.

And by the way, this has already been done in the past, by Carter during Iran hostage crisis.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 09:17 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

No, you’d probably be more comfortable being murdered by your own kind then:

And just because Carter did it, doesn’t mean it’s right.

I’ll let you get back to burning your cross and ironing your white hood.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 09:20 AM ET

No, you’d probably be more comfortable being murdered by your own kind then:

And just because Carter did it, doesn’t mean it’s right.

I’ll let you get back to burning your cross and ironing your white hood.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 08:20 AM ET

Ahh, the good old, if you don’t agree with me, you’re a racist line. You sir are a moron.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 09:24 AM ET

Paul's avatar

As I noted in the post…

Please if you wish to comment, don’t make this a political battle.

Thanks

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/10/15 at 09:26 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I’ve never been more proud to be called a moron for disagreeing with someone who thinks foreigners should be tagged and registered.

Thank-you.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 09:29 AM ET

Thank-you.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 08:29 AM ET

WOW,

have you even read what I wrote, or you’re so blinded by your political correctness that it doesn’t even matter? Show me where I wrote that foreigners should be tagged and registered.

And by the way, just so you know. I am a foreigner, I am an immigrant. So no I don’t think foreigners should be tagged. I think they should be vetted and not just blindly allowed to enter.

But why bother, simple logic has no place in your head.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 09:32 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Trump wants all Muslims registered in a database.
You agree with Trump. That’s all I need to know.

BTW, every non-Native American is a foreigner on this soil.

I’ll let you get back to reading Mein Kampf.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 09:44 AM ET

BTW, every non-Native American is a foreigner on this soil.

I’ll let you get back to reading Mein Kampf.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 08:44 AM ET

Thank you for proving my point.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 09:46 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Ya vol mein fuhrer!

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 09:48 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Hank1974 and George0211, no more, PM each other if you want to continue.

I asked nicely before and please respect my request.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/10/15 at 09:48 AM ET

Paul, there is no way this could not be political.

I agree with George on this one.  Nothing wrong with stopping the process so it can be reviewed and improved on.  The process is obviously broken when it allows a radical like Tashfeen Malik to enter the country.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/10/15 at 09:56 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I understand it is a fine line GtL, but the name calling is what gets me.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/10/15 at 09:57 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

I agree. There’s no way a post like this doesn’t get political. The only thing hockey in it is an opinion from a NHL player. It’s inevitable that for whenever groups start arguing about which piece of sh!t is the best piece of sh!t, it is settled by name calling. Thus is why dueling is no longer a common practice.

I think Kadri summed it up best:

But his opinion’s his opinion

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 12/10/15 at 10:06 AM ET

Anyone who thinks it’s easy to get into the US legally has no clue what the reality is.  Those who agree with Trumps positions are not automatically racist.  They might just be ignorant of the reality of what goes on in the world.  So that leaves three possibilities.  Ignorance, ignorant bigotry/racism or plain ole’ fashioned bigotry/racism.  And this has nothing to do with political correctness.  It has everything to do with the plain fact that Trumps positions are clear, unadulterated bigotry/racism.  If they’re not, then words no longer have any meaning.  Period.

Posted by Wise1 on 12/10/15 at 10:12 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I understand it is a fine line GtL, but the name calling is what gets me.

Agreed.
My apologies to George0211.

There’s already too much hate floating around now.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone and a very safe and happy Holiday.s

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 10:22 AM ET

I think what everyone really needs to understand is people have their opinions and there is almost ZERO chance that whatever anyone says here or on any other message board is going to persuade them to change their view point.

One thing I do not agree with is that by having a view on one side or the other makes that person somehow less of a person when compared to the other.

Moving onto hockey now.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/10/15 at 10:26 AM ET

Agreed.
My apologies to George0211.

There’s already too much hate floating around now.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone and a very safe and happy Holiday.s

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/15 at 09:22 AM ET

Same here.

Merry Christmas everyone and Let’s go Red Wings.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 10:27 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Paul, there is no way this could not be political.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/10/15 at 08:56 AM ET

It’s unrealistic—you’re essentially asking to review/change a process because it has failed a statistically insignificant number of times. You can’t expect a process like that to be 100% effective. I realize that is cold comfort to the people who were impacted by this recent tragedy, so I don’t say it lightly.

This is the trade-off of America—we take “your tired, your poor, your huddled masses” because we supposedly believe it is the right thing to do, it’s the FREE thing to do, and as such, we run the risk of taking in some folks that will ultimately go on to do bad things.

If people really think the process is seriously broken, I have yet to see the evidence; meanwhile, folks that work on the immigration and refugee processes have repeatedly shown evidence that it is a very stringent process that has worked incredibly well for a long time.

If people want to insulate the country more, I guess that’s fine—vote on it. But I would at least like those people to stand up and admit that they are advocating for a fundamental change in what it means to be America and American. At least admit it. Don’t pretend that we can turn away those that need refuge most and somehow square it with the most important historical tenets of this country.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/10/15 at 11:47 AM ET

Not a fundamental change, but simply to be smarter about certain things.

Immigration wave now is fundamentally different from that of from western Europe in the early 20th century and then eastern Europe and former Soviet Union in the 80s and 90s.
And the difference is that people coming to this great country in the past came here to assimilate into American culture, and it is the exact opposite of that now. Most people coming over from Middle East now want to fundamentally change the American culture.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 11:59 AM ET

If a lot of Americans think what Trump says (which seems to be the case given his polling numbers), then perhaps America isn’t the greatest country in the world due to the amount of hate we seem to have for our fellow man.

Instead of concentrating on blaming our problems on others, especially racial & religious, we should really be doing our best to unite and solve our problems together.

Posted by neffernin on 12/10/15 at 12:17 PM ET

Wow.

Just wow.

Most radicals think that everyone agrees with them.

And I would venture to say that, unlike Donald Trump, “most people” are not white supremacists.

Posted by Garth on 12/10/15 at 12:53 PM ET

Most radicals think that everyone agrees with them.

Posted by Garth on 12/10/15 at 11:53 AM ET

Just like it makes me a radical or a white supremacist to disagree with you?

Most radicals also think that people who disagree with them are radicals.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 01:07 PM ET

Wow.

Just wow.

Yeah, I’d like to see some actual sources on that one, other than bigotry and prejudice.

Posted by neffernin on 12/10/15 at 01:13 PM ET

Posted by neffernin on 12/10/15 at 12:13 PM ET

There was polling done, in Michigan actually, which has a huge muslim population. I forget which network ran with it (probably Fox) And the big majority of young male muslim immigrants said they would prefer this country had Sharia law.

Tell me how that is not wanting to fundamentally change Judaeo-Christian culture of this country?

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 01:19 PM ET

Found it

Sorry, but me not liking that does not make me a bigot.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 01:23 PM ET

So, while you’ve been able to find something printed on the internet, promoting it as fact and neglecting to take it upon yourself to research the validity of it, is a little disheartening.

Posted by SK77 on 12/10/15 at 12:42 PM ET

Yet you’re using media matters are a source?

Also, still Ericsson sucks.

Posted by SK77 on 12/10/15 at 12:43 PM ET

He’s been much better on 2nd paring. Of course that could be DDK’s influence.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 01:47 PM ET

Found it

Sorry, but me not liking that does not make me a bigot.

You are choosing to believe that Muslims are out to harm the US and its values as a whole; going as far as stating that on internet messaging boards.  I do not know whether or not you are a bigot; I don’t know you.

The study you quote (which is the same one Trump quotes) was a very, very non-scientific poll released by a think-tank paid for by defense companies that is run by someone who is consistently accused of being one of the most islamophobic people in Washington.

At this point, I would ask you to check the sources of such claims before repeating them, else you are just contributing to the propaganda machine and further contributing to fear and hatred.

My source?  One of the most respected news organizations in the world:

Posted by neffernin on 12/10/15 at 01:54 PM ET

My source?  One of the most respected news organizations in the world:

Which in turn cites Salon, which completely removes any credibility. Come on.

Listen, I don’t doubt that Center for Security Policy twists the truth, just like a lot of progressive think tanks.
And them being Islamophobes, maybe, maybe not.

How about ISIS themselves saying they will take advantage of immigration policies in US and Europe to infiltrate?

All Muslims, no? I never said that.
But we just had 2 terrible terrorist attacks in Paris and here in the US by islamists who were immigrants.
To say we should not take precautions is a little silly.

And you can call me a bigot all you want, but when as a 13 year old you witness an Armenian woman who was your neighboor get raped and murdered and her apartment set on fire by islamists, that tends to form certain opinions, not just some study on the internet.

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 02:10 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Trump’s rhetoric is an ISIS recruitment tool. ISIS portrays America as intolerant and bigoted against Muslims. But instability and tilting towards war is good for the military contractors and tv news ratings.

It is a bummer to see so much racism/islamophobia/bigotry on KK, justified by bigoted blogs, bad “research” and painful anecdotes.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/10/15 at 06:07 PM ET

That is true.

painful anecdotes.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/10/15 at 05:07 PM ET

I’m guessing you’re referring to what I wrote. No, it is not an anecdote. I lived thru it.

That’s a naive way to look at this problem. ISIS way is convert to our version of Islam or die, as has been demonstrated by countless Yazidi and Christian villages slaughtered in Iraq and Syria by them.

Posted by George0211 on 12/11/15 at 08:40 AM ET

Posted by George0211 on 12/10/15 at 12:19 PM ET

arent the judeo-christians,well protestant christians,the ones that came into america and commited horrible violence against native population, much more terrifying violence than muslims are doing now?

Posted by Edin78 on 12/11/15 at 09:02 AM ET

Posted by Edin78 on 12/11/15 at 08:02 AM ET

So you’re saying it’s justified what ISIS is doing because others did that 300 years ago?

Posted by George0211 on 12/11/15 at 09:05 AM ET

Posted by George0211 on 12/11/15 at 08:05 AM ET

no,maybe I worded it wrong,as I am not a native english speaker.I meant that the US should also ban all christian immigrants from entering,because they have a longer history of violence against native population, jk

Posted by Edin78 on 12/11/15 at 10:00 AM ET