Nashville Extends Rinne

Nashville, Tenn. (November 3, 2011) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed goaltender Pekka Rinne to a seven-year, $49 million contract – the largest in franchise history.

“Today’s signing is further evidence of our ownership’s commitment to keeping our core intact,” Poile said. “This is the first step of a process designed to retain our key players and leaders. Pekka has grown with our franchise, just recently established our franchise record for career shutouts and is now recognized as one of the game’s elite players. We’re thrilled to know that he will be backstopping our franchise for several years to come.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pekka+rinne

Comments

NHLJeff's avatar

He’s a great goalie, but $7M cap hit is too high for just about any goalie…especially in this case since they also need to re-sign Suter and probably Weber while still having room to sign some offense…

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 11/03/11 at 03:54 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m with NHLJeff.  For a cash-strapped franchise this move doesn’t make any sense.  You don’t win by paying big for goalies, especially when you won’t pay for other postitions.

And WTF with the quote?  He signs a 7-year deal and the quote is that they’re “thrilled to know that he will be backstopping our franchise for several years to come”.  Key word there is “several”.  Seven is not equal to Several.

So is the plan then that Weber is gone, and in a couple years they’ll jettison Rinne’s big contract as well?

It’s getting harder and harder to defend the NHL being in Nashville.

Posted by Primis on 11/03/11 at 04:42 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

While I am definitely not a Nashville fan, the only thing that they’ve ever had as far as consistency is their goaltending. It’s the only reason they’ve ever been able to do anything. That being said, I am also of the opinion that they overpaid.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/03/11 at 04:48 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Sounds to me like they just decided they are only keeping 1 of Suter/Weber.  Gotta think Weber won’t sign for any less that $7M long term if not closer to $8M, and I would think Suter would be right around $6M or higher.  So unless Nashville has all of a sudden decided they are going to spend right up to the Cap every year, I don’t see them spending over $20M on 3 players.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/03/11 at 04:48 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Sounds to me like they just decided they are only keeping 1 of Suter/Weber.

My first thought as well. Since when do the Preds spend this kind of cash?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/03/11 at 04:51 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

My guess is they sign Weber, trade Suter at the deadline/after season before July 1st, and big time prospect Ryan Ellis takes his place next season.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/03/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“My guess is they sign Weber, trade Suter at the deadline/after season before July 1st”

If this is what they do, they’re making a mistake. That’s my opinion, anyway. For all the hoopla (yep) that Weber gets about his slapshot, I believe Suter to be the better player. But hey, if it makes Nashville worse, then all the better.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/03/11 at 06:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Seven years at $7,000,000 per? That just makes me smile.

Suter is going to look very good wearing the Winged Wheel next year.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/03/11 at 08:06 PM ET