Nash Talks

Rick Nash held a press conference this morning…

from the Columbus Dispatch,

Q: Why did you go to Scott Howson in January and ask him to trade you?

A: I was informed by management that there was a rebuild, a reshape, of the team, and I personally felt I could be a huge part of that, toward bringing assets in. I think that was in my view that was the best thing for the team, the organization, and personally for my career.

Q: Does this say, Rick, that you don’t believe in the direction the club has taken?

A: I think I answered that question when I signed my long-term deal. I believe in ownership, I believe in Scott Howson. I love being a Blue Jacket, love the city, love the fans – and that is something that will never change.

continued or watch the conference below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: rick+nash

Comments

cant blame nash here… what is this, the blue jackets 3rd rebuild in 10 years?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/28/12 at 03:46 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Three rebuilds seem difficult when they’ve barely been built once.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 02/28/12 at 03:57 PM ET

I hope the folks of Columbus aren’t buying what Nash is trying to sell with this hogwash.

He wants out of Columbus because he doesn’t think theyr’e a contender nor will they be. That’s fair.

But don’t act like you’re doing them some big favor by offering to be traded so they can get some assets. That’s ridiculous.

Posted by Chris from Ottawa on 02/28/12 at 04:34 PM ET

Nash wasnt complaining when he got that big contract was he? He wants to take the easy way out and go to a immediate contender but dont think that the fans in CBJ are dumb either. He is definitely trying to spin this.

Posted by Ricky from NJ on 02/28/12 at 04:52 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Nash is being a weasel here, no doubt.  The question is why is he having to spin it at all?

Howson never should’ve leaked Nash’s trade request.  It gained the BJs absolutely nothing.  Selfishness on both Howson and Nash’s parts.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/28/12 at 05:01 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Backpedal backpedal backpedal

Posted by pensfan29 on 02/28/12 at 05:23 PM ET

possibly; however, it was pretty much assumed in all corners that this was all due to Nash wanting out in the first place.  No one really could convince themselves that Howson was rebuilding and felt that Nash at 27 years old and a new contract that runs for 7 years needed to be moved for the rebuild process.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/28/12 at 05:25 PM ET

Nash wasnt complaining when he got that big contract was he?

Nash signed that contract coming off a year where they made the playoffs for the first time under the tutelage of a respected coach with a pretty awesome track record.

Since then, Howson fired the coach that got them there, drafted a lot of bums, signed a bunch of average guys to grossly inflated contracts and flipped valuable assets for significantly less valuable assets. The current Jackets group won’t be able to fix the team until Nash washes up from age if they were even capable of fixing it at all, which, imo, they are not.

Things change.

Posted by larry from pitt on 02/28/12 at 05:55 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I would respect the guy more if he just stuck to his guns and said;

“Of course I want out. It’s obvious it’s not working here. I’ll give them 100% until I get out but the bottom line is I want out.”

Too bad his house would be razed and he’d be shot if he said that…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/28/12 at 05:59 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

I don’t feel bad for Nash one bit but the fact that Howson still has a job there is a much bigger problem than their one star wanting out.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 02/28/12 at 07:18 PM ET

CaliforniaPuck31's avatar

Howson kind of set him up to fail with leaking the trade request.

Posted by CaliforniaPuck31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 02/28/12 at 07:59 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I agree, regardless of how Nash comes off now, Howson still comes off as the far bigger idiot here and there’s no more spinning it.

Howson made this divorce a very public thing (much like Irsay did with Peyton Manning) and now there’s simply no going back.

Posted by Primis on 02/29/12 at 08:58 AM ET