Nash Destinations

from Dan Rosen of NHL.com,

As we wait to see where Nash will end up, or if Howson will actually deal him (he’s under no obligation to trade the franchise’s all-time leading scorer), let’s analyze the six possible destinations and how Nash would fit in. Of course, we’re going to do this without any knowledge of who would be leaving town in a trade for Nash, but we’ll take a look at some possibilities anyway:

NEW YORK RANGERS

Who could go: The Rangers would likely want to include Brandon Dubinsky and his $4.5 million cap hit in the deal, but Howson clearly will need a lot more than a guy who had just 34 points last season, down from the 54 he had in 2010-11. Other names that could be in the mix include Michael Del Zotto, Carl Hagelin, Tim Erixon, Christian Thomas, and Ohio native J.T. Miller.

DETROIT RED WINGS

Who could go: For a Nash-to-Detroit trade to happen, you’d have to think that the Red Wings might have to give up more than the other teams involved because Columbus would have to see Nash at least six times a season. It’s hard to fathom how much that would be, but Darren Helm might have to be part of the package that returns to Columbus. The Wings just signed Helm to a four-year contract.

more teams mentioned and categories include Why Pursue, Fit and Capology…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/11/12 at 04:56 PM ET

Helm doesn’t go anywhere, he is far to valuable to the 3rd line.

Posted by selke13 on 07/11/12 at 04:58 PM ET

Darren Helm might have to be part of the package that returns to Columbus.

Nope.

What’s Anaheim asking for Ryan?

Posted by Garth on 07/11/12 at 05:00 PM ET

...but Darren Helm might have to be part of the package that returns to Columbus.[/url]

I’ll have whatever Rosen’s snorting.

Wait, on the other hand, I’d rather not.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/11/12 at 05:13 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think I could trade Helm and don’t wish bad thoughts on me Herm, but after thinking about this, it could be worse. I think Helm is going to be very good for years to come. But how far does his talent take him? Best third line center? At most, best second line center? I don’t think I would do it, but Nash is an all world talent that I would think would end up giving you more than Helm would in terms of production. I don’t know. We all say he’s the next Draper, so you wouldn’t have traded Draper for a Shany? Or Iginla in the late 90’s and 00’s?

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 07/11/12 at 05:30 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I wouldn’t trade the kids that come out to scoop up the octopus from the ice for Nash.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/11/12 at 05:38 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I love Helm, but if Darren Helm could legitimately be the main chip in a Rick Nash trade, uh, do it. Yesterday.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/11/12 at 05:49 PM ET

Well that’s just dumb.

Posted by Garth on 07/11/12 at 05:49 PM ET

silversailer's avatar

Helm, Franzen, & a pick wouldn’t be that bad.
Think of the production Nash would have with Dats!

Posted by silversailer on 07/11/12 at 06:10 PM ET

I’d be a hypocrite to say “Get Nash, whatever it costs” and then “NOT FOR HELM”.

I’d die, I’d hate it… But if that’s what it takes… Shit.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/11/12 at 06:14 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Helm? No way.

But then I think it over…

I’m hitting “Submit” before I say something I’d regret.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/11/12 at 06:22 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Uhhh.  No.  Not for Helm.

Helm, Franzen, & a pick wouldn’t be that bad.
Think of the production Nash would have with Dats!

Posted by silversailer on 07/11/12 at 04:10 PM ET

Seriously?

Do you honestly think Franzen’s 30 Goals/season PLUS Helm and a First would equal a guy that looks to be basically a 35 Goals/year guy?

Sop Helm and a 1st or 2nd is worth about 5 Goals?

Uhhh.  No.

Posted by Primis on 07/11/12 at 06:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

And before anyone says otherwise:  Nash is averaging 32 goals/season across his entire career.

34 G’s/season if you remove his rookie 17G year…

Posted by Primis on 07/11/12 at 06:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

34 G’s/season if you remove his rookie 17G year…

Posted by Primis on 07/11/12 at 04:26 PM ET

Without a center!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/11/12 at 06:29 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Herm, if the unthinkable happens, will you then become a fan of the BJ’s, or stay a part of Red Wing fandom and the juvenileicity of the 19?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/11/12 at 06:31 PM ET

awould's avatar

If Columbus would take Franzen/Helm for Nash, you do it.  Franzen is peaking in Detroit. He’d flounder in Columbus, and most other teams too.  Nash would hit 40-50 goals a season in Detroit if he had Datsyuk dishing him the puck. Helm is one of my favorite players in the league and he’d be missed greatly, but he is replaceable as a 3rd line center in the long run. Stick Nyquist there and see what happens.

Posted by awould on 07/11/12 at 06:51 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Did Herm just say he’d be willing to give up Helm for Nash?

.......ahh !!

I want Nash in the Winged Wheel, badly.  But he isn’t worth Helmer.

Posted by BrendonR on 07/11/12 at 06:52 PM ET

I’d die. Didn’t you read my comment?

(I’d be crushed, but ultimately, I’m a Red Wings fan. If I learned to like Chelios and Bertuzzi, and am willing to let Tootoo and Doan redeem themselves to me, why wouldn’t I be happy if the Wings improve?)

But the Helm+Franzén package… No, absolutely not.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/11/12 at 06:57 PM ET

silversailer's avatar

Seriously?

Posted by Primis on 07/11/12 at 04:23 PM ET

Uhh. Yeah. Thats why I said it. Nash is also a few (4 maybe) years younger than Franzen.

There’s no doubt in my mind Nash would average 45-50 goals playing with Dats and/or Zetterberg

Posted by silversailer on 07/11/12 at 07:02 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

If you did a Helm and Franzen for Nash you would be trading for a guy that is both what Helm is and what Franzen does. I don’t know how many times I wished Franzen would play to his size and that Helm would play to his skill. In Nash you get both in one. That would also free up a 4th line C for a younger Helm type player to establish himself. There are a ton of Helm’s out there that they can find and mold. You don’t come accross players like Nash too often. Not that I wouldn’t miss Helm a ton, but you gotta do, what you gotta do.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 07/11/12 at 07:19 PM ET

Does anyone think Holland would sign Helm to a 4-yr contract just to trade him a few weeks later? The same Holland who is “loyal to a fault?” I’m not so sure.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 07/11/12 at 09:50 PM ET

You guys are too funny.  I’m not the biggest fan of Nash but you’d turn down a deal to hold on to a guy that’s 25 and has career highs of 12 G, 20 A, 32 Pts, +9?  I mean seriously, that’s a bridge too far?

Posted by RoneFace on 07/12/12 at 01:48 AM ET