Nabby Staying Home

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

“I think I’m going to stay home for now, I’m sticking with my decision,” Nabokov told ESPN.com from his home in San Jose. “It’s nothing against the Islanders and their organization. It’s nothing to do with that. It’s just that I’m at the point in my career where I want to help a team win in the playoffs. I don’t see how I could help the Islanders or what I could do for them. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. And I hope they understand that.”

The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, the team that he signed with Thursday. Because he began the season in the Russia’s KHL, the rules required that he clear waivers before trying to join the Red Wings.

“I understand the rules,” said Nabokov, who signed a one-year, $570,000 deal with the Wings. “We’re not stupid, we knew what was going on before we made the decision. But I made this decision because the goal was to play with Detroit.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeni+nabokov

Comments

Crow's avatar

Good for him.  I knew Snow never bothered to talk to him prior to claiming him.  Now Snow has to deal with another mess that he created.  Hopefully he will place him back on waivers.  Only teams that are contenders need bother thinking of claiming him.  His agent already said that he WILL be playing for a contender.  As the world turns…

Posted by Crow on 01/23/11 at 06:06 PM ET

On Friday Nabokov said that he would go to whichever team claimed him. There was no reason for Snow to question that. Tough to blame Snow in this situation.

Posted by blankspace6 on 01/23/11 at 06:11 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Love this Nabby line at the end of the article:

So for now, he doesn’t plan on reporting to the Islanders.

“Right now, that’s right,” Nabokov said. “I was surprised they picked me up. I was like, ‘Wow, what’s the point?’ ‘’

Priceless.

And in the body of the article, Nabokov notes that it is going to take some time for him to get into playing shape - - and DET were willing to give him that time.

Makes me think that Osgood’s status may be much worse than DET has been letting on.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/23/11 at 06:13 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

When the lines of communication become, “No, he never called me” on one party’s behalf and, “Nuh uh, I did too call him!” on the other’s behalf, as Katie Strang is reporting on Twitter...

To recap: Snow called Nabokov yesterday. Nabokov hung up on him. Agent called Snow apologizing, said Nabkv was confused and would call back

Things will not end well.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/23/11 at 06:39 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

“Nabokov was confused,” eh?

I’ve pulled that one. It’s just a matter of time before he gets the hint and stops calling. LOL

When he said he’d go to any team that claimed him, he may have felt that there was no reason for the Islanders to do so. After all, they just traded a goalie away and they haven’t used waivers - or any other means, really - to try to improve their team in any meaningful way.

He may have been working on the assumption that if another team did claim him, it would be one similar to Detroit, a reasonably good team that wanted some goaltender insurance for the rest of the season and the playoffs, not a team that was completely out of any playoff picture and was only playing out the string. What use would a veteran goalie for the rest of this one season be to them? Not very much, and he and his agent may have been working with that thought in mind when they went through this process.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 01/23/11 at 07:12 PM ET

Teddybear's avatar

I don’t see how I could help the Islanders or what I could do for them.

C’mon man. It doesn’t require much talent to help the Islanders…

Posted by Teddybear from Sweden on 01/23/11 at 07:47 PM ET

This. There’s no logical reason to think that a lottery team (or even a non-playoff team) would want a pedigree goaltender for the next three months.

Looking at the standings and the playoff-possible teams that don’t have goaltending sewn up, San Jose was probably the ‘worst case’ scenario as he and his agent saw it. Heading back to his old team wouldn’t exactly be a terrible outcome.

Posted by StevieSteve on 01/23/11 at 08:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m working on the assumption that the Islanders want to do whatever possible to make things difficult for everybody because they’re one of the teams that want the most drastic changes to the CBA.  If they can force any rift between the league and players or between GMs, they’ll do it, just because they’re a terribly run team that wants more handouts and wants to punish their fans for refusing to support the building of a new arena.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/23/11 at 08:11 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I actually understand why they claimed him, they have had serious injuries at the goalie position, especially after they traded Roloson. Bad luck, I suppose.

But it also would’ve been naive for them to think Nabokov would actually want to play there. When a guy signs a contract with Detroit (or let’s say, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Philly, Vancouver, or Washington), it’s a pretty clear indication he is signing to win, not to just play games and collect a check.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/23/11 at 08:59 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Garrioch says the Sens put in a claim for Nabokov as well.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/23/11 at 09:06 PM ET

Doesn’t say that anymore. Knowing Garrioch, he changed the article.

League sources told QMI Agency they don’t believe the Senators put in a claim for veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov before he was picked up by the New York Islanders on waivers Saturday.

While this might surprise many considering the club’s goaltending, the indications are Senators GM Bryan Murray didn’t see much point in picking up a 35-year-old goalie who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Posted by StevieSteve on 01/23/11 at 09:30 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

More from the New York Daily News’s Peter Botte:

The Isles still are attempting to convince the veteran goalie, whom they claimed off procedural waivers Saturday after he signed a one-year contract with Detroit, to report to Long Island despite Nabokov’s unequivocal public intentions to the contrary.

“He had his heart set on going to Detroit, obviously. I told him I respect that, but he’s a New York Islander now and we’d love to have him part of our group,” Snow said. “He’ll come here. He’s a professional.”

Snow, however, also confirmed what owner Charles Wang had told reporters a few minutes earlier, that Nabokov - the longtime Sharks goalie who started this season in the Russian KHL - had hung up on him during an initial phone call made Saturday. Before talking to Snow Sunday, the 35-year-old Nabokov told ESPN he hadn’t been contacted by the Isles or received any voice messages from Snow.

“(Nabokov’s agent Don Meehan) called me and told me it was uncalled for and that he would get to the bottom of it,” Snow said. “He called me back 15 or 20 minutes later, saying ‘(Nabokov) didn’t know it was you.’ I just gave him the benefit of the doubt.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/23/11 at 10:22 PM ET