My Friday Notes

- Positive spin- Look at it this way, Philadelphia and Edmonton, last place in their respective conference, are only 10 points out of first place.

- If Toronto media wasn't allowed to discuss the goaltenders for the Leafs, they would just find another topic.

- The Wings are a much complete team when Johan Franzen starts scoring goals, even though he is not a goal scorer.

- I feel sorry for Buffalo Sabres fans.

- Kimmo Timonen of the Philadelphia Flyers left last night's game with a lower-body injury.  He always seems to be ailing but do you know the most games he missed at on time is 7, with a sore calf.

- Sometimes the +/- stat does not lie.  The bottom 3 players so far this season...

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

The Wings are much more complete when Cleary is scoring.  Or Abdelkader, or Eaves, or Miller, or… just about anyone not named Datsyuk.  That’s the thing.

I think with Weiss and Alfredsson on board, people can maybe appreciate Franzen as something other than expected to carry the scoring load himself aside form Datsyuk.

Posted by Primis on 10/18/13 at 12:28 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I think with Weiss and Alfredsson on board

what are seeing as for Weiss progress with integrating into the system? I’ve only been able to watch the last three rivalry matches and he seems out of synche and off step from the rest of the team. I’m seeing that he’s always looking at the puck where he just came from, not where he is going.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 10/18/13 at 12:33 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

SnLO -

Even though he’s staying productive, you have to give him a little time. He’s coming from a long time under performing organization, where he was expected to be the face of the offense.

I have no doubt he will only gain confidence as he finds his role within our lineup. Think of the paradigm shift he’s undergone by leaving the Panthers behind and assimilating with an almighty and highly respected Red Wings organization.

He will fly under the radar and impress.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 10/18/13 at 02:01 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/18/13 at 12:33 PM ET

I’d agree with Shreve.  At times he looks really good, but at other times he looks just a liiiiiittle bit out of place.  He’s very strong on the puck though, and can carry it in the the opponent’s zone really well.  He makes good passes, and has a heck of a nice quick shot.  Once he get’s the positioning figured out, he’ll be a very solid player, I think.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/18/13 at 02:58 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Haters gonna hate, but those two Franzen goals last night were goals scored by a guy with some confidence.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/18/13 at 03:03 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was such a bust in fantasy hockey this year so far. He was single-handedly sinking my +/-  (after starting the year DTD injured).

I’m still mad at him.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/18/13 at 03:16 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

redxblack

Insert any Oiler not named Mark Arcobello into that sentence.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 10/18/13 at 03:22 PM ET

Yeah, but the reason that haters hate is this: why wasn’t he “confident” in the first seven games and what changed?  And why can’t he always be “confident”?

Posted by Garth on 10/18/13 at 03:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m still mad at him.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/18/13 at 03:16 PM ET

I took Hemsky on my one team (a deep, deep roster/team too because of all the categories) with one of my last picks.  He was a much better player than the other available guys but, EDM is just that bad that he was still around and nobody was planning on grabbing him.

And even then… I’m wishing I’d taken someone else.

Posted by Primis on 10/18/13 at 03:55 PM ET