Move Getzlaf

from Jeff Miller of the OC Register,

...So now, General Manager Bob Murray needs to make a real deal, a genuinely impactful one, a move that signals the start of reloading for next season because, let’s all admit it, this season is a goner.

He needs to trade ... Ryan Getzlaf.

That’s right. The team captain. The Olympic gold medalist. The former All-Star Game starter.

If there’s a deal out there that improves the Ducks significantly in one way, the damage done the other way by the loss of Getzlaf is worth it.

For whatever reason, this just isn’t working. It isn’t working for the Ducks, and it certainly isn’t working for Getzlaf.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+getzlaf

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Would you want Rogaine Frat Boy, KH?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/04/12 at 04:03 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

I know I’m potentially gonna catch a lot of flak from my fellow Red Wing fans, but if Holland can get him for the right price, absolutely go for it. Put him between Filppula and Zetterberg, and tell Zetterberg to shoot to his heart’s content. Getzlaf is my own modern day Joe Sakic. I hated Sakic on Colorado because he was so damn good, and I feel the same way about Getzlaf. He can grind the puck out in the corners with the best of them, he has fantastic vision, an awesome pass and is great on faceoffs. I’ve always felt he is the motor of that big line in Anaheim, not Perry or Ryan.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 01/04/12 at 09:46 AM ET

Primis's avatar

No way would I want either of the Duck Sisters (Getzlaf and Perry).  They’‘re both classless players, and don’t deserve to wear the winged wheel.

Look at what happens with Bertuzzi as a Wing (2 dumb penalties a game).  Now increase that effect… yeah, no.

Getzlaf as a “modern Joe Sakic”?  Wow, what an insult to Sakic.  Wing fans don’t hate Getzlaf because he’s a lethal, classy player.  They hate him because he’s a classless punk-a** b**ch who can go f*** himself (and probably does).

Posted by Primis on 01/04/12 at 10:26 AM ET

TheFreak's avatar

First, this is just a media guy giving his opinion of what the Ducks should do. Maybe he’s got inside information that Getzlaf is more of a problem than he’s worth, like some say Rick Nash and Nick Backstrom/Ovechkin are to their team. Even if that’s the case, Holland probably doesn’t want to bring that to Detroit.

If anything, seems like Ducks would dump Selanne first though Getzlaf would produce a nice return if dealt.

How about Getlzlaf for Nash? smile

Posted by TheFreak on 01/04/12 at 12:28 PM ET

I enjoy watching Getzlaf play everyone but the Wings. He is just the type of forward the Wings need. However, I don’t think KH will disrupt the chemistry. The top six fowards have been lighting it up with Z-berg line disecting whichever line they’re up against. This hypothetical trade would be difficult to pull the trigger on. I love Bert, but a Mule-Dats-Getzlaf line would just dummy the opposition.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 01/04/12 at 02:12 PM ET

Chet's avatar

the idea of having selanne or getzlaf on the wings for the stretch run should be exciting and awesome. in reality, the idea doesn’t get me too excited at all.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 01/04/12 at 02:55 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Alzy, I am with you.  How could you not want this guy on the team?!  Getzloff is on a short list of large pivots with lots of skill.  Plus, having   a guy like this around keep Joe-db-Thorton in check!  Dats-Mule-Bert followed by Z-Getz-Fil/Hudler (assuming one of those two would be in the trade); the depth of these two lines would be hard to match.

Look, I hate Perry and Getzloff, but it is because they are pretty good hockey players that play physical and have skill.  Something with a Barrett Jackman (STL) or a Matt Greene (LA), they just have less skill.  I would take one of these two in a specific role on the Wings any day.

As for disrupting chemistry, this is a valid concern, but the moment that our stars stop getting cheap shots all over the ice because we have some more strength in our line-up, that would take care of any chemistry concerns.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 01/04/12 at 03:06 PM ET

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 01/04/12 at 12:06 PM ET

NOW, I want to see the next Schmucks/Farts game.  I’m officially intrigued by this.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/04/12 at 03:44 PM ET

However, I don’t think KH will disrupt the chemistry.

I’m not worried about chemistry.  What I’m worried about right now are the team’s clear flaws being exploited in the playoffs.  And frankly, if they can get a real top-six player and stop pretending that Bertuzzi is still a top-line forward, I’m all for that.

If Holland can make the team better in the mid- to long-term, I’m willing to sacrifice a little in the short term, because I don’t see the team as it is being a true contender for the Cup.

I don’t know that I’d want Getzlaf, but I would like some kind of real move to be made.

Posted by Garth on 01/04/12 at 04:32 PM ET

Well said, Garth and “Peter” in MN. The fact is d-bags like Jumbo Joe do take liberties with the top guys, and I don’t think there are too many guys in the Wings line up beyond Kronwall and Stuart that can be physically punishing.

I was watching the Bruins game recently admiring how their forwards are very talented, but they also don’t get pushed around. Now, if Nathan Horton were still a Panther and was on the block, would the Wings make a bid? I think Getzlaf is a similar and slightly better player than Horton. He has deceptive speed, highly skilled passer, great wrist-shot, sick hands and plays with an edge

But I honestly don’t see him being available. Anaheim is not giving up on this season, and is probably going to be two weeks late on realizing it’s over. They’ll give Beudreau(?) the benefit of doubt to start fresh with the big 3 forwards, his system and infuse some top prospects.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 01/04/12 at 05:25 PM ET