Morning Lines

“If [Coyotes forward] Raffi Torres gets 25 games for his hit during the play then this guy [Brown] ought to be done forever.”

-Mike Smith, goaltender for the Phoenix Coyotes.

“I bit my tongue the whole playoffs.  I bit my tongue the whole time this series. I look back in the last two games and I still haven’t found where I got my three penalties. I have absolutely no idea where they came from or what they were calling.

“It’s hard because you don’t want to take anything away from L.A. They played unbelievable and give them all the credit. Uncle. Are you freaking kidding me? Uncle. I can’t understand how you miss that. You saw the game. It’s 5-on-3 and they give a penalty to even it up.

“The guy crosschecks Marty [Hanzal] twice in the back. He chips it over the boards, it goes over the boards and there’s no call? Marty gets a stick in the face and then the knee? I mean, come on. Like, come on.

“You don’t want to do it because I don’t want to take anything away from L.A. They played unbelievable and they beat us. Thank goodness their power play didn’t score on all those power plays they were handed. It could have been really ugly. They beat us. There’s nothing else to say about it.”

Shane Doan, captain of the Phoenix Coyotes.  More from Tim Wharnsby of CBC.

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+smith, shane+doan

Comments

Primis's avatar

“WWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” - Phoenix Coyotes.

Posted by Primis on 05/23/12 at 11:17 AM ET

When Shane Doan consistently gets fines and one game suspensions after being a repeat offender over and over, he really can’t say he gets dealt with harshly.  When he does it, it is just a good hard hockey play, when someone else does it then its sour grapes.

There was definitely a penalty there, but to make it seem like the entire series hinged on that missed call when the refs made so many mistakes it is a bit annoying. Brown wi’ll probably get a fine since there is no way you suspend a guy and give the Eastern conference team an advantage if you are the NHL.  If they knew the Rangers were already in it, then maybe a game. Besides, Doughty was called offsides and given a penalty when Whitney was holding him, you realize that the officiating is brutal on both sides.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/23/12 at 11:30 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

And THIS little piggy cried wee wee wee ALLLL the way home.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/23/12 at 11:32 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I agree with Bob Mckenzie on TSN: no penalty on the hit, and no intent. It was just an unfortunate outcome. But for Doan to be going off the deep end like that, give me a break. He was suspended against the Wings in the playoffs for goonery. Phoenix lost to the (much) better team.

They whine anymore and they can start calling themselves Canucks South.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/23/12 at 11:59 AM ET

Yeah the whine is pretty bady. I give them they are intense and that is what brought them this far, but show some class!

Posted by timbits on 05/23/12 at 12:10 PM ET

You gotta give the guys the benefit of the doubt. Its not like they seen the replays. It looked really bad and Browns knee was out. Thats all they seen. Doan and the Coyotes had every right to go bananas during the game. Its like Lemiuex on Draper. Those guys went ape shit as they should. I hate that guy, but I don’t think he wanted to smash Drapers face in. Brown wasn’t trying to knee him, but in that moment the players on the ice seen one thing, a knee out and there teamate on the ice and can’t get up.
I’m assuming these quotes were in the locker room after the game. I’d bet if they look at it a few times they might have a different opinion. It took me a few looks.

I didn’t watch the whole game, but I watched midway in the 2nd to the end. I know in OT there were 2 missed calls on LA. The delay of game for the puck going over the glass, and a high stick.

Posted by T on 05/23/12 at 12:12 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You don’t want to do it because I don’t want to take anything away from L.A.

Then stop taking things away from L.A. by whining and stop making an ass of yourself by chirping a guy in the handshake line.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/23/12 at 12:33 PM ET

pautna's avatar

From the coach down to the players, they all seem to be a bunch of cry babies when they lose. Go Kings Go!

Posted by pautna on 05/23/12 at 12:51 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

“I didn’t want to say anything but…”

Yeah…but…indeed. How many times did your guys, yourself included, take a run at Brown this series, Doan-bag?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/23/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

This was kind of a perfect encapsulation of why Dustin Brown has been so effective in the playoffs. He does play on the edge, he does play like a bit of a weenie sometimes, but he does it with the purpose of getting under the other team’s skin. And he did that to perfection with the Coyotes. Calls may have been missed on L.A., but the Coyotes deserved most of the penalties they were called for, and a lot of them were probably because they let the Kings’ pests like Brown get their emotions up too high.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/23/12 at 01:07 PM ET

I think Doan is nuts. Roszival had the puck and cut right into the train tracks. Brown had his elbow out, but it looks like the brunt of the force hit the target’s armor. Brown had his knee extended but seemed to hit the upper thigh with it. The hit could have been worse than it was, but it wasn’t.

Hossa didn’t have the puck, was just trying to get back in the play and Torres threw a Goldberg spear right into his jaw, that connected flush.

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/23/12 at 03:29 PM ET

@hockey1919:

Except what he actually said was the opposite of that.

@mrfluffy:

Because Brown’s game is squeaky clean, right? There’s absolutely no reason why you’d want to finish your check on a player like Brown, is there?

@J.J. from Kansas:

Do you have audio from the handshake line? I’d love to hear it.

It looks to me like Shane Doan, mere moments after his team was eliminated, and that almost immediately after one of his teammates had to be helped off the ice with no penalty on the hit, was more than willing to admit that the Kings beat the Coyotes outright. His beef was with the officials. And even then, I don’t see how his comments could be said to blame the referees for costing his team the game or the series—only for being bad at their jobs. A sentiment with which, unless I’m mistaken, many posters here would agree…

Posted by MP on 05/23/12 at 03:29 PM ET

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/23/12 at 11:07 AM ET

I could do without all the diving from this guy. I still maintain The Hanzal suspension was the result of the old “I know there’s a guy behind me, let me wait for any contact and launch myself face first into the boards to see if I can draw a major” play. Barrett Jackman did this to the Matt Cooke earlier this year. The latter escaped suspension because Jackman got the angle so wrong it was obviously a fake job.

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/23/12 at 03:34 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Can someone tell Doan to STFU? He’s just as dirty, if not dirtier than Brown.
The two are the exact same player.

Posted by Hank1974 on 05/23/12 at 03:40 PM ET

Except what he actually said was the opposite of that.

No.  What he said was he wasn’t going to whine, and then he whined. He said he gets treated more harshly, when as a repeat offender he never gets more than his previous suspension.  So what he said and what we all know what he was implying is as plain as day.

In real-time, not after slow-motion replay, I would have called Brown for a rough since it didn’t seem like he let up after the whistle even though contact itself was unavoidable. However if Doan isn’t hung up on that play or thinks the Kings deserved to win then why bring it up? That’s like quantifying a statement, by saying I don’t mean to offend anyone and then saying something that is offensive to everyone.

He brought up plenty of other plays as well, but the fact that he doesn’t understand why boarding a guy like he did deserved a five and a game is borderline psychotic or someone needs to explain the rules to him.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/23/12 at 03:58 PM ET

Because he was asked about it by a reporter. These remarks came from a locker room interview or possibly a post-game press conference. But I have heard the audio, and he didn’t discuss the officiating until he was prompted to do so by a journalist. If you entertain the notion that he grabbed the first microphone he could find and launched into a tirade about the injustice of it all, you’re much mistaken.

Even then, he prefaced his remarks by saying, in essence, that the Kings deserved to win. I’m not sure what’s unclear in the phrase, “It’s hard because you don’t want to take anything away from L.A. They played unbelievable and give them all the credit.” Or, moments later, “You don’t want to do it because I don’t want to take anything away from L.A. They played unbelievable and they beat us.” He said more along those lines, but the article appears to have left it out. He mentioned Quick, Doughty, and a couple other Kings players, talking about how well they’d performed.

Doan is “hung up on” the fact that the officials were terrible. Period. He went out of his way, repeatedly, to give the Kings credit for winning the series. Incidentally, the Kings are beside the point.

Don’t you think it’s a little troublesome, in fact, that athletes and coaches are held to a double standard with respect to the comments they make on the record? If Doan gave a canned, noncommittal response to the prodding of the media, he’d be criticized for being dull, and dishonest in the sense that he didn’t say what he was really thinking. But since he did respond with candor, he’s now a whiner. A sore loser. A poor sport. Or whatever.

You could say the same thing about John Tortorella. If he says what he thinks, he’s an a-hole. If he chooses to say nothing instead, he’s still an a-hole. The media wants to have it both ways, as do the fans, it seems.

Posted by MP on 05/23/12 at 04:31 PM ET

I defend Tortorella and his right to say no, just as much as I have the right to think he can be an a-hole.  Doan could have said less and been respected more. The journalist laid the bait and he took it. Look at how he said it as well.  He was just waiting for the opportunity, he even said he bit his tongue and was still hung up from the past two games not just this one. The officials were terrible, to both teams. I think officials should be open to the press post game as well since the coaches and players are.

PS
You can be candid and still be a whiner.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/23/12 at 04:55 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

The two are the exact same player.

No, one of them is going to play for the Cup.  And the other is crying like the bitch he’s always been.  See, very different.

Maybe Doan started believing the media hype that it was him and not Smith who won them game 4.  Smith is the only one on the team with a reason to bitch, but only about how his own team hanging him out to dry.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/23/12 at 05:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Do you have audio from the handshake line? I’d love to hear it.

Posted by MP on 05/23/12 at 01:29 PM ET

Doan has exactly three facial expressions:

1. Stupidly unaware.
2. DOANFACE
3. Mad at Dustin Brown.

I’ll give you four guesses as to which one he was wearing while he was talking to Dustin Brown in that handshake line.

Listen, what Doan said is no different than “no offense, but…” or “not to sound sexist, but….” It’s a qualifier that gives the speaker the comfort of knowing that they’re about to say something they probably should just keep to themselves without having to feel like that something defines them.

Is Shane Doan a whiner? No, he may be lots of bad things, but he’s not a whiner. He’s a passionate guy. Did Shane Doan whine in that postgame presser and make an ass of himself in the handshake line? You betcha.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/23/12 at 05:56 PM ET

Doan could have said less and been respected more.

I actually think this is the tip of the iceberg regarding people complaining loudly about Brown. Haven’t heard much of it before because Brown’s not really accomplished enough to garner the type of attention he’s getting now.

Stats people could have told you Brown’s far and away the biggest diver since anyone started tracking penalties drawn, but instead people would complain about Crosby or Kesler or Avery (none of which have anything on Brown for frequency of dives) because those guys were visible and Brown was flying under the radar.

If the Rangers make the finals, expect their columnists to try to saddle Brown as a latter-day Cooke as well as a diver. The former’s not true, but that’s never stopped them before.

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/23/12 at 07:40 PM ET

Just wondering, will Roszival continue diving the entire off-season as well as during any work stoppage at the start of next season?

Posted by Wondering from Mass on 05/23/12 at 08:26 PM ET