Morning Line

Jordan Tootoo? How does he fit in? When did that team decide they wanted that kind of a player. Who is going to do the fighting when this guy runs around and creates all the havoc? Did Ken Holland momentarily take leave of his senses or is this some sort of change of direction and submission to the new NHL where guys who run around making questionable hits are rewarded?

-Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province where you can read more on yesterday’s signings.

added 8:09am,

On the first day of free agency, it was left to the low and middle-range free agents to snap up the dollars being tossed around. Mid day, on Twitter in Canada, five NHL players were trending: Brad Boyes, Adam Burish, Matt Carkner, Tanner Glass and Colby Armstrong. Tells you all you need to know about how the day unfolded.

-Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail where again, you can read more regarding the first day free agent signings…

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jordin+tootoo

Comments

IwoCPO's avatar

He misspelled “Jordin”. Don’t spell our players’ names wrong, Toni.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/02/12 at 09:09 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I had a pretty hard time accepting this Tootoo signing last night. I was drunk and have been dealing with personal….. stuff and this signing made me ornery. Real ornery. I’m still not too pleased about this BUT I do realize that we were not built for the playoffs and this (along with Sammy) will help. Every time I think of Tootoo I’m transported back to when the Griffins were playing Milwaukee and when the Wings knocked the Preds out of the playoffs they sent Tootoo down and all he did was cheap shot the Grifs; constantly. Oh well, at least we didn’t sign Jagr.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/02/12 at 09:25 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Yes, Tootoo makes us built for the playoffs, because of all that playoff winning he’s done.

The guy is an NHL fringe player at best, more like an everyday AHL player. And now we’re paying him almost $2 per?

The Chief knows this… I’ve defended Kenny for the Quincey deal. I’ve told anyone that’s doubting him they sound crazy for not giving Kenny the benefit of the doubt he greatly deserves (by earning it).

But this deal… just WTF? This guy is the opposite of everything the Red Wings have been about in this long run of sustained success. He’s got noted off-ice issues, he has noted on-ice issues with no fewer than dozens of dirty hits to his name, and he has zero skill (speaking of course in NHL-relative terms). How the hell does that fit the Red Wings?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/02/12 at 09:40 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/02/12 at 08:40 AM ET

I’m with you here, just trying to make a little lemonade. Maybe, just maybe, Holland and Yzerman are gonna work some magic and Tootoo is gonna be a part of said magic….. One can only hope.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/02/12 at 09:45 AM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

he has zero skill

You are saying that like it’s a fact or something. You don’t score 30 pts in the NHL with 4th line mins (and he was a scratch sometimes) without having talent. He’s a Red Wing now, I’d say now’s a good time to let the past go and give the guy a chance. Three weeks into the season when he’s running opposing Dmen through the boards and pissing everybody on their team off, you two will be eating crow…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/02/12 at 09:54 AM ET

Am I the only one around here is excited for Tootoo?  He brings an element to the team that we desperately need.  Everyone is trashing his game, saying he’s not good enough for the NHL and yet he put up 20-30 points a year.

I hated Tootoo when he was on Nashville, because he was a thorn in our side, but now he is a thorn in some one else’s side and I am o.k. with it.  (I also hated the whistles but hopefully that is over)

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 07/02/12 at 09:56 AM ET

Heaton's avatar

We all hate Tootoo and hated to play against him.  Sounds like a guy I’d rather have on my team than play against him.

Posted by Heaton on 07/02/12 at 10:08 AM ET

cementslinger's avatar

...Three weeks into the season when he’s running opposing Dmen through the boards and pissing everybody on their team off, you two will be eating crow…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/02/12 at 08:54 AM ET

This ^^^

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/02/12 at 10:17 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Again I think this is a good signing. 30 pts last year does NOT mean your fringe Nhler. Side note: although he plays on the edge he has been suspended twice in his career. 7 total games.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/02/12 at 10:55 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Oh well, at least we didn’t sign Jagr.

Posted by Vladimir16 on 07/02/12 at 08:25 AM ET

Oh well, at least we didn’t sign Jagr yet.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/02/12 at 10:57 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Okay, I spent the last three days in a stupor at the cabin on Lake Superior, and, no, the stupor was not influenced by the Tootoo signing…I didn’t even know about that until an hour ago.

I am speechless. I am also convinced Ken Holland has lost his mind.

We are a ship lost at sea, and we have no leadership.

Tootoo?!?!?!?!?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/02/12 at 11:02 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Tootoo is the hero this city deserves.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/02/12 at 11:20 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/02/12 at 08:54 AM ET

I’ll eat crow when he gets through a full season without blatantly intending to injure someone. As a fan of the Wings, I’ve been proud that they’ve run a ship where guys have respect for each other and the game and just plain don’t do this stuff.

If Tootoo fits in and learns that is not acceptable as a Red Wing, then fine. But I’m going to need a full year for him to show me that. Kirk Maltby played on the line. Tootoo plays well over it and has managed to avoid a lot of supplemental discipline he probably deserved.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/02/12 at 11:39 AM ET

He’s got noted off-ice issues

Is he a racist or something like that? No.

So forget off-ice issues, he had alcohol problems just like Probert or McCarty.

And he’s a douchebag? Good, we need douchebags. Helm, Eaves, Miller, Mursak, Emmerton… too many cute young faces in the bottom six.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/02/12 at 11:47 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Am I the only one around here is excited for Tootoo?

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 07/02/12 at 08:56 AM ET

I’m not sure I’m all excited, but…I’m rather amused by what could happen with him on a line with Helm and Sammy.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/02/12 at 12:01 PM ET

This team for the last - well, since Mr. I’s ownership in 1979 - has endured some of the worst tragedies a hockey club could ever possibly endure.

This is a tough mental club when it comes to players’ personal problems and we’ve seen time and time again the near-inexhaustible well of patience shown by the Wings’ staff and front office to its players.

I don’t believe for once the Wings brass didn’t do their due diligence and careful research without first getting their facts together and spent considerable time debating the merits.  They see and hear things we as fans don’t ever get to see.

I’m past that disbelief now.  I can’t wait to see what Tootoo can do for the Wings.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/02/12 at 12:04 PM ET

awould's avatar

I hate Tootoo. I hated Bertuzzi too. I’ll like Tootoo when our guys don’t get treated like they play on a team with no Tootoo. Wings needed a guy who brings what he’s got. Hopefully the baggage isn’t too heavy.

Posted by awould on 07/02/12 at 12:06 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

Say what you want about Tootoo, but he’s FEARLESS. He does not back down from anyone. Every time I’ve seen him play, he’s at full throttle. Watch the games against the Red Wings. When the shift change happens, he is making a bee line for our defensemen with the idea of running them through the boards. Sure, we hated it when he was against our guys, but we’ll sure enjoy the panic it creates on the other team. Also, think about why he is so popular in Nashville. I’d like to think it’s because of his style of play and all out effort.

I hated it when the Red Wings acquired Cheli, but 3 games later, I was a fan. Funny things happen when hated players put on The Winged Wheel.

Posted by socalwingnut on 07/02/12 at 12:36 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

If paying 1.9 mil for 3 years is enough to bring in a dude who has laid ruthless hits on Wings players for years, as well as injuring Wings, then I think it is money well spent. Thats why we need to figure out a way to get Doan here as well.  That guy has been laying massive hits on Wings players for a long time as well. Paying him about 4-4.5mil would be enough and would save us much pain in the long run.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 07/02/12 at 12:46 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

I couldn’t stand the Brett Hull signing, as well. Hated that guy’s guts. But was very pleased in the long run when he started putting up some serious points with the “two kids and a goat” line.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 07/02/12 at 12:49 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

You guys are under-estimating him.  He has great hands, good passer, great skater.  You’ll love him.
Gallagher, keeping BC whiny…..fvck off.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/02/12 at 01:32 PM ET