Morning Line

“It’s especially frustrating, seeing as how when on December [16] … he sat with me in the first period in Chicago.  During the first intermission we discussed the rest of his [college] career and him playing for us as soon as he was done because at that point in time, Wisconsin was not very good and we were not very good.

“So it would have been a great chance for him to play 10, 15 games for us and get a jump start on his rookie season. He said to me, ‘Mr. Murray, I can’t wait.’”

-Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray on soon to be UFA Jeff Schultz.  More from Murray by Eric Stephens of Ducks Blog.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bob+murray, jeff+schultz

Comments

Why exactly would a kid want to play for a bad, weakly-supported team where he’d have to pay outrageous state taxes?

That, by the way, just hired a mediocre coach who is almost sure to get canned in the next two years at latest?

Maybe if Murray wasn’t an awful GM he’d have a better shot at signing the guys he drafts.  Then again, if Murray wasn’t an awful GM he wouldn’t need the guy so badly to begin with.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/19/12 at 11:30 AM ET

awould's avatar

Perhaps he witnessed the rest of the Ducks season and realized their management/coaching group sucks. Also, he’s sought after and has an opportunity to choose the best situation for him. Can’t blame him for that.

I love how these GM’s talk about how hockey is a business whenever they trade or cut a player but when it’s the player who holds some of the cards, they’re so quick to call the player selfish or ungrateful. Get over it, Murray.

Posted by awould on 06/19/12 at 11:45 AM ET

they’re so quick to call the player selfish or ungrateful. Get over it, Murray.

Um, he didn’t call Schultz selfish or ungrateful.  All he said is he’s frustrated and disappointed because Schultz appeared to be eager to play in Anaheim and now he’s decided not to sign.

Can you honestly blame him for that?

Three years later there are still Wings fans who are bitter about Hudler taking the team to arbitration and signing with the KHL, what’s wrong a GM airing his frustration over a situation like this?

And let’s not pretend that what Schultz is doing isn’t a shitty, entitled, primadonna thing to do.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/12 at 01:01 PM ET

awould's avatar

Um, he didn’t call Schultz selfish or ungrateful.

It was pretty clearly implied, at least to me. Guess we disagree.

Again, we disagree. Sort of. There’s two issues to me… 1) him waiting it out to reach FA and 2) him demanding ice time.

1) He’s within his rights to wait a few more months and why shouldn’t he? Anaheim drafted him. Big deal. It’s not like he’s Rudy and he’s tossing Notre Dame under the bus. He’s a talented hockey player who finds himself in a good position.

2) It bothers me that he’s demanding ice time and a guaranteed roster spot with no actual NHL experience. But Anaheim has already offered that so that’s probably not the reason he’s waiting it out. He wants to choose his team, which is a luxury few get so young. And you know what? He’ll get it because he’s apparently good. And then he’ll have to prove it.

And as another example of GM’s being jagoffs when a player has them over a barrel, witness Poile’s desperate song-n-dance with Suter right now. And contrast that with how Weber was treated during his arbitration.

It’s a business, that’s a fact, and it is a fact that applies to both player and management.

Posted by awould on 06/19/12 at 01:16 PM ET

It was pretty clearly implied, at least to me.

I’d love to know what he said that implied Schultz was ungrateful.

OK, so you’re not disagreeing.

It’s no less of a primadonna thing than what Eric Lindros did to the Nordiques (and to the Greyhounds before that) but at least Lindros came right out and said he wasn’t going to play for the Nordiques and allowed them to get something for him.  He didn’t act like he was excited to play for them and then walk away.

F*ck this kid.  I hope someone like Toronto overpays for him and he’s a complete bust and doesn’t even make his bonuses.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/12 at 01:27 PM ET

-Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray on soon to be UFA Jeff Schultz.

Jeff Schultz is under contract with the Washington Capitals through 2013-14. This may be why Bob Murray can’t get him under contract in Anaheim.

Posted by PuckMucker from Detroit on 06/19/12 at 01:36 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/19/12 at 12:27 PM ET

My take from that article and the various quotes from Murray is that he implied Schultz was ungrateful and/or selfish. I could spend time trying to convince you that my opinion is right over your own, but I don’t really care if you agree with me or not. We see it differently. That’s ok.

Posted by awould on 06/19/12 at 03:02 PM ET

That’s great because I didn’t ask you to convince me.  I was simply curious what it was that that he said which gave you that impression.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/12 at 04:51 PM ET

awould's avatar

That’s great because I didn’t ask you to convince me.

My mistake.

Posted by awould on 06/19/12 at 04:56 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Part of me finds it hard to call a kid an entitled primadonna when he’s held under a league whose rules say he basically has no power to decide his own fate until he’s played for anywhere between 5-7 of his years with a team, starting under a contract which specifically limits his salary in a way it doesn’t limit all players.

Shitty?  Well yeah, it’s shitty to give the Ducks the impression you’re excited to sign with them and then not do that.  That shitty act alone probably warrants the rest of the entitled primadonna criticism.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/19/12 at 05:24 PM ET