Morning Line

“I don’t know who’s going to be the coach next year but the leaders in this group have to be together and don’t look, you know.  I don’t know how to explain better, but sometimes you don’t have to be jealous….I don’t want to say it was a jealous situation for us, but sometimes you just have to be a group together.”

“I don’t want to say persons, I don’t want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn’t play well they just look at you like, you know.  Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it’s not the way we gonna win the game.”

-Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals.  More from Katie Carrera of Capitals Insider.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin

Comments

phillyd's avatar

Sounds like a shot at Semin.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/15/12 at 11:24 AM ET

Just remember the Caps are going to need a strong willed coach.

Posted by Lori Larman from Pittsburg CA on 05/15/12 at 11:27 AM ET

They should have nabbed Hitchcock early in the year when they had the chance, but they sat on their hands too long with the Boudreau situation.

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 05/15/12 at 11:42 AM ET

I have no idea what he said

Posted by pkkieffer on 05/15/12 at 11:45 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Was this a jab at someone for not playing hard, or was this him complaining about people judging him, or both?  He doesn’t make much sense here, to me.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 05/15/12 at 11:52 AM ET

pautna's avatar

Uh, what?

Posted by pautna on 05/15/12 at 12:21 PM ET

No matter what kind of coach you bring in with a ‘system’, AO will never buy into it. Dale Hunter did right thing benching him late in games because of commit issues and desperation to play defense.

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/15/12 at 12:39 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

I think he’s saying that they shouldn’t point fingers at each other but instead should move forward together and continue to improve and work toward winning the Cup.

(That really is what I think he’s trying to say, but I’d also like to point out that I’m available to serve as his spokesperson…for a small fee of course.)

wink

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/15/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Yeah, because he certainly didn’t buy into Hunter’s game at all.

Posted by Garth on 05/15/12 at 01:09 PM ET

My 2 cents worth as a non-Caps fan living in Caps territory: There have always been whispers about the Caps organization that the stars are treated differently, and I think that goes way beyond the coach and up through management. Example, Ted has always defended anything that Ovechkin has done, even when it’s obvious to the rest of the world that he’s been wrong. So even if Hunter has tried to level the field to bring down the egos, Ted and his crew may still be treating the players like they are under a caste system. So some players are jealous that Ovechkin and crew are the owners pets.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 05/15/12 at 01:46 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Ted Leonsis is a joke

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/12 at 03:21 PM ET

He either said, the leaders were jealous of his status or cared more about themselves than the team and players were looking at him if he didn’t play well and blaming him.

-or-

In order to be a leader you can’t be jealous of your teammates success and if you don’t play well you need to care more because other players notice.

I think it is the latter.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/15/12 at 03:27 PM ET