Morning Line

I have no earthly idea why Mike Milbury would say what he said other than to be intentionally colorful and controversial. You may not like every element of Sidney Crosby’s game, but he absorbs a lot more abuse than he metes out, competes like hell and has worked extremely hard to fight back against injuries. Concussions, obviously, are no joking matter. All this said, why would Milbury apologize? If you want to go out on a limb, have the stones to stay there. If he said it, he obviously meant it. This post-comment censorship is silly, iike it makes it all better. Unless he was coerced or somehow tricked, stand by your words, man. Why turtle?

-Damien Cox of The Spin.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+milbury

Comments

Mike Milbury’s trades:

And we trust him to be a reliable voice on anything related to hockey?

Posted by bsalamon on 04/04/12 at 12:37 PM ET

Why hasn’t Milbury told Briere to take his skirt off and play with a bruise?

Posted by Stu from Here on 04/04/12 at 12:49 PM ET

Two other things:

1. Odd that Damien Cox makes sense.

2. Milbury is paid to make inflammatory statements, not insightful ones.  So, as Cox says, stick with it.  It’s always good to have a jester in the court.

Posted by Stu on 04/04/12 at 12:53 PM ET

All this said, why would Milbury apologize?

Because he was told to by his employers.

Posted by Garth on 04/04/12 at 01:31 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

What was he even apologizing for?  It was just a blanket, generic, “I’m sorry.”

Like I said, the only things that bothered me about his comments were the misogynistic “skirt” comment and the making light of concussions.  Those things are dumb.

If he has the hindsight to look at those things and say, “Hey…that was dumb,” then that’s awesome.  Good for him.

Unfortunately, like Garth said above, he isn’t sorry at all about those comments.  He was just told to tell everyone he was by NBC.

But, whatever.  I have no idea why anyone is surprised by anything Milbury has ever said.  He’s an idiot.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/04/12 at 02:30 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Why turtle?

I’m guessing cause he’s a cowardly piece of shxt?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 02:37 PM ET

I have no idea why anyone is surprised by anything Milbury has ever said.

I would have been surprised if it seemed at all sincere.

Having said that, I really don’t think he had anything to apologize for.  He doesn’t like Crosby?  Fine.  Why should he have to apologize for his opinion?  I understand that he works for NBC (and by extension, the NHL) but if a guy can’t express his opinions then why do you have him on the air.

Having said THAT, why does NBC have him on the air?

Posted by Garth on 04/04/12 at 03:05 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Having said THAT, why does NBC have him on the air?

I honestly thought that this open rage-aholic being charged with assaulting a 12 year old would be the end of it.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/04/12 at 03:19 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“I’m guessing cause he’s a cowardly piece of shxt?”

What does Cload Lemieux have to do with this?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/04/12 at 03:19 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I tend to think that Mike Milbury should have stuck by his words, except for the sexist crap.  If the NHL ever wants to be considered a peer of the NFL or MLB, they have to do something about their stone age broadcasters.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/12 at 03:20 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

this is probably the one time ever I will agrree with Milbury on anything hockey related.  Crosby does hack a LOT and tends to get in an extra jab all the time on his opponents.  HE does this on a regular basis, but when he gets it back, sometimes its worse, he should expect it and deal with it, instead he looks to the ref and whines.  On that play, he basically broke two sticks whacking players before he got the cross check to the back from schenn.  The fact that he can call that a cheap shot, which it is, but he shouldnt be able to say shit like that when he was the one who instigated it.  Its the kettle calling the pot black, and obviously getting away with it due to being the NHL poster boy

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/04/12 at 04:37 PM ET

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 04/04/12 at 01:19 PM ET

It certainly would have been, had he actually been charged.

Posted by toolazytologin on 04/04/12 at 05:44 PM ET

I’ll say this about Milbury’s comments: they’re most likely made because he wanted to play up to the host (and to anyone who has listened to the WIP morning show and attest to the fact Cataldi is the biggest idiot to even be behind a mic).

Posted by Philip on 04/04/12 at 08:11 PM ET