Morning Line

“I like the feeling that the next Cup here might have my name on it; I like that pressure and enjoy it.  It’s something that drives me to be better and keeps me at the top of my game every night.”

-Jimmy Howard, goaltender for the Detroit Red Wings.  More on Howard, focusing on his college career by Bob Snow at NHL.com.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jimmy+howard

Comments

w2j2's avatar

Is it possible that the Wings win their next Cup on the back of a great (although unsung) goaltender?

The Wings have always been the team of Howe / Abel / Linsay / Delvecchio, or Yzerman / Fedorov, or Zetterberg / Lidstrom / Datsyuk…

Goalies have been competent, but not the star of the team (that includes an aging Hasek).

The Wings have not been built around a Tim Thomas, Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy, or Ken Dwyer.

Is Jimmie Howard becoming one of those “cornerstone” tenders?

Posted by w2j2 on 12/01/11 at 02:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Is Jimmie Howard becoming one of those “cornerstone” tenders?

Posted by w2j2 on 12/01/11 at 11:35 AM ET

So long as they don’t have to overpay for him eventually, I’d say “yes”:

Posted by Primis on 12/01/11 at 02:39 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I remember seeing Roger Crozier and Mike Vernon’s name on the Conn Smythe trophy

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/01/11 at 02:47 PM ET

Holy fuch, I love this dude.

Posted by Herm from the office on 12/01/11 at 03:20 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

The Wings weren’t built around Jimmy, but I think a full season like the one he’s having now will cement him as a cornerstone, elite goalie.

I think what defined the other goalies’ statuses mentioned (Thomas, Brodeur, Roy, etc.) was that they are/were also the biggest “star” on their team, mainly because of a lack of true star power up front (not counting Roy in COL).  With the Wings, we’ll have both.

Posted by BrendonR on 12/01/11 at 03:23 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Jimmah is finally coming into his own, but…he hasn’t won anything yet. I don’t see Roy’s arrogance (yet…heh)...I just see confidence. He’ll win something soon.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/01/11 at 03:45 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 12/01/11 at 11:35 AM ET

Dryden?

Sawchuk wasn’t too bad. wink

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/01/11 at 04:17 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

And while I love the way Howard has played the last few seasons, and obviously in particular this season, I’m not going to call him “elite” till he continues to play like this sans Lidstrom.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/01/11 at 04:17 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Swagger.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 12/01/11 at 04:54 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

But he’s not an All Star.  18 goalies are better. Gary says so.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 12/01/11 at 05:00 PM ET

Tick Tock builds his team to keep his goalies fresh throughout an entire season.  I think as an ex-goalie himself, he recognized an unfair amount of pressure placed on young goalies saddled with unrealistic expectations.  A goalie has to breathe.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/01/11 at 05:20 PM ET

Speaking of which, who wonders if there’s a chance in hell Conklin starts on Friday?

Posted by Garth on 12/01/11 at 05:24 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Wrong season to say that.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 12/01/11 at 05:32 PM ET

He has placed a lot of emphasis on building up and making his defense stronger in front of Jimmy and letting his coaching staff work.  I’d want that, too.  Look at the ‘08 team (arguably THE best Wings team to win the Cup).  How many times have we seen and laughed about the amount of work that Hasek saw in a typical game?  And it was okay by us?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/01/11 at 05:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/01/11 at 01:17 PM ET

Actually the reason Howard’s catching my eye is BECAUSE the defense in front of him has been so subpar at times.

He’s carried the team on his back in his fair share of games.  I don’t see what Lidstrom or post-Lidstrom has to do with that.

Posted by Primis on 12/01/11 at 06:28 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I think you guys get my point…

Jimmah is one helluva goaltender, the likes of which the Wings have not seen since Terry Sawchuck.

cool smile

Posted by w2j2 on 12/01/11 at 06:45 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Jimmy doesn’t take shit in net, that’s what I love about him.  He’s got a HIGH compete level and holds himself to high standards and BRINGS IT.  You can see he thrives on the pressure of being better than the other guy in the pipes, give the team a chance to win no matter what.  He’s a battler, the same thing I love about Timmy Thomas.  He’s not affraid to police his own crease.  Not to mention he’ll facewash another teams star for messing with ours, he’s no bitch and he’s a team player.  My fav player all around this season.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/02/11 at 01:04 AM ET