Morning Line

“I have tremendous respect for the coaching fraternity and for the art of coaching, I don’t take it lightly. I understand the benefit of experience.

“But I have a lot of experience in this game and in winning. I’m not 32. I’m 52. There’s a little bit of water under the bridge. I’ve learned a lot. My experience shouldn’t be discounted or under-appreciated, either.”

-Mark Messier.  More from and on Messier by Larry Brooks of the NY Post.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mark+messier

Comments

My experience shouldn’t be discounted or under-appreciated

Yes it should, there is no proof he is capable of being a coach. In fact there is every reason to believe his ego as a “star” player would interfere with being a successful coach.

Posted by timbits on 06/28/13 at 08:37 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The Great One tried his hand at Coaching in Phoenix. For all of his on ice accomplishments, he was not able to handle the duties behind the bench. It’s not as easy as people think to transition from player to Coach.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/28/13 at 09:15 AM ET

Primis's avatar

The ego Messier has is unparalleled.  Even Michael Jordan knew he couldn’t ever coach.

Posted by Primis on 06/28/13 at 11:57 AM ET

Even Michael Jordan knew he couldn’t ever coach.

Posted by Primis on 06/28/13 at 12:57 PM ET

Yup.  Steve Yzerman, too.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/28/13 at 11:59 AM ET

awould's avatar

It’s like saying you’re really good at welding so now you want to manage the factory.

Posted by awould on 06/28/13 at 12:06 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

lmao, I fuchin’ knew it.  “derka der derka der, not quitting because I didn’t get picked, derka der”

Horse shit.  Sounds like a guy who didn’t make a decision based on being looked over for a head-coaching position, yeah?

He’ll never be an Yzerman (who actually trained for years for his current position)

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/28/13 at 12:23 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

What an egotistical jerk. How can he not realize that playing experience doesn’t necessarily translate to an ability to coach. If he really wanted to coach, he’d understand he should start as an assistant or in the minors.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 06/28/13 at 01:15 PM ET