Morning Line

If NHL hockey comes back in the next few weeks, the logos on every rink surface should say, ‘WE BLEW IT.’

-Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal where you can read more on the lockout.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

just for fun, from the team you follow… who (UFA) do you think most likely will not be re-signed by your team after the 2012-13 canceled season?

Since I follow the pens, i highly doubt Craig Adams or Ben Lovejoy will be resigned and possibly not resigned at all by any team.

What some of these guys have to remember is they were going to be competing for jobs with a fresh crop of talent from the AHL and juniors going into the 2012-13 season.  By skipping this year, they will now be competing with two years of younger and perhaps faster players.  The fringe players, like Adams may have a hard time finding a job.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/18/12 at 04:22 PM ET

I am praying that the Wings do not resign Cleary and give his spot to Tatar, but given their track record (Bert/Sammy) that doesn’t seem likely. So IMO the most likely to walk as an FA is Drew Miller.

Posted by Pulsar93 on 12/18/12 at 04:48 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Can I cheat and use Tomas Holmstrom?  He’s currently an UFA and while I love the guy and never want his career to end, he’s probably run out of rope. Then again, it’s not like his game was ever built on athletic gifts.  If the injuries can be held off by limited minutes, again, and the spirit is willing, the body might still have value for the playoffs.

Of the rest, Cleary is really the only candidate.  And I don’t think he’ll be back unless it’s at a significant discount, commensurate with his new role as a 3rd or 4th liner (his contract was made with him playing as a second liner in mind- and for a while he deserved it).

For Wings fan’s it’s basically down to Cleary, Filppula, Brunner, Mursak, Kindl, and White.  I think this was going to be a make or break year with Filppula as a wing rather than a center, but of the rest of those I think it’s kind’ve a tossup between Kindl and White.  White’s obviously better but he’s also the sort of guy who was maximizing his natural ability.  If he’s slipped any he could fall off a cliff.  Kindl was always borderline but at least he’s got the size advantage over White (not that Kindl’s the second coming of Pronger, or anything, but he’s not scaled to Electric Car size like White is).

If we were talking one more year deeper, the pool sure would open up:  Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Emmerton (drop them all), Eaves, Ericcson, Quincey, Colaiacovo.

I am aware that I’ve avoided considering the possibility of Jimmie Howard leaving (he’s UFA this coming off-season) but that’s just a willful denial.  You can’t make me consider it, either.  I refuse.  Take it or leave it. This is the hill I will die upon.  Cattle or no cattle.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 12/18/12 at 06:18 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Pulsar93 on 12/18/12 at 03:48 PM ET

I hope Kenny gets that bug out of his ass.  Cleary is a good guy but what Wing isn’t?  As far as productivity, I believe, and have believed if Miller was given Cleary’s opportunity he’d do more with it that Cleary’s been able to.  He’s younger and faster as well.

I’ve been a huge miller fan since we picked him up and he’s improved greatly each year watching his play on the ice.  He’s got more to give, he’s a keeper for sure.  He’s like the new Malts, I think he’s got the ability to put up some points and give a legit scoring threat in the bottom 6 especially.  His compete level is high as well.  I don’t necessarily think Cleary beating himself up “trying” to make plays counts as compete level.  Not to mention the age difference and Cleary’s best years being behind him, especially with the problems with injuries he’s had the past 2 seasons.

I also think we may opt to let Kindl go even though he’s an RFA next year depending on how the D does this year of course and what the FA market looks like next year and who we’re actually able to get.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/18/12 at 08:04 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/18/12 at 07:04 PM ET

I’ve got nothing against Miller and actually think he’s a gamer BUT he’s no Maltby. He’s as skinny as a small forward fer pete’s sake. Now, if he decided to put on 20-30 lbs I’d retract my statement.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 12/19/12 at 02:13 PM ET