Morning Line

This would be my 40th year as a hockey fan. I learned the game’s positions on an Oakland Seals-Pittsburgh Penguins table hockey game. I grew up following both the NHL and World Hockey Association. I fell asleep calling imaginary games I saw in my head. Forechecking schemes filled the margins of some school notebooks. The 11 seasons I covered the NHL day-to-day, being in the house for more than 100 games a year counting preseason, playoff and Cup Final games, ranks as the most enjoyable extended period of my career and probably always will.

This is what should worry the NHL and NHLPA: This time around, there are more people like me who’ve stopped caring if they play this year. And might not care if they’ll play in succeeding years.

-David J. Neal of the Miami Herald where you can read more on this topic.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Nathan's avatar

Exactly how I feel.

I won’t sit here and lie and say, “I’m done with the game.” That’s obviously a lie from 99% of the people that say it. But my relationship with the game is definitely damaged severely. I find myself missing the game far less this time around than I did in the last lockout. I’ll always find time to watch one or two Wings games per week, and I’ll always tune in for the playoffs, almost no matter the teams. But I definitely feel that this current lockout has knocked me from a die-hard hockey fan—who used to watch all 82 Wings games, plus whatever preseason we got on TV, plus all playoff games, plus at least one or two non-Wings games per week—to a casual one. I’ll watch a game when it is on and it is convenient. I’m done going to the trouble of getting tickets and driving to the Joe, looking for decent parking that doesn’t cost half of what the ticket costs, feeling like a beer but then realizing I don’t want to pay $8 for 12oz. of watery domestic… if it’s on TV and I’m not busy, then great.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/10/12 at 09:59 AM ET

I just boxed up a whole slew of hockey related memorabilia this past weekend. The kids need the shelf space and it just pisses me off every time I look at it. This was supposed to be fun, a distraction, entertainment, instead it is just another source of disgust. I won’t stop caring to some extent, but I certainly feel more disconnected.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/10/12 at 11:20 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/10/12 at 08:59 AM ET

Hello, my name is Vlad and I’m a 1%er
I agree that a lot of people are blowing smoke when they say they’re done but I bet it’s a shit-ton less than 99%

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 12/10/12 at 12:34 PM ET

I used to be fine with players trying to be millionaires playinga game on teams owned by billionaires, but now that there’s a disagreement about money, I’m out!

Posted by Garth on 12/10/12 at 12:51 PM ET

Colossal Cap Hit's avatar

The key quote was, “It’s a great game, guys. You’re not the only ones who play it. And if you won’t play it, I’ll watch someone else who will.”

There is a lot more to hockey than the NHL. Just because the lights on the Christmas tree are not working doesn’t mean there is no tree. Hockey is going to be played whether the pricks at the top can get their act together or not.

Posted by Colossal Cap Hit on 12/10/12 at 09:35 PM ET