Morning Line

My own problems with Yzerman started as a result of him mistreating my teammates. He was abusive to linesmen, and it made my protective instincts kick in and tell him off in no uncertain terms. The spark was lit after he belittled and verbally abused longtime linesman Mark Pare on an icing call in Detroit. It went way beyond simply yelling about a blown call. He treated Mark and other officials like they didn't even belong on the same ice as he did.

My next run-in with Yzerman came as a result of a disallowed goal in Minnesota. The dialogue won't be repeated on a family-friendly blog but suffice to say he wasn't a big fan of my style nor I of his. He made it personal and then escalated it when he elected to gripe to the media about me.

Retired NHL referee Paul Stewart.  Read more from Stewart at the Huffington Post.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: paul+stewart, steve+yzerman

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Where’s this guys blankie?  Sounds like Yzerman was right

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/30/14 at 11:20 AM ET

Burr87's avatar

And this is why nobody likes referee’s. Be quiet and do your job. No one comes to see you. Get over yourself .

Posted by Burr87 on 07/30/14 at 11:21 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I have yet to see an NHL ref ever admit they have EVER made the wrong call.

And that is the whole problem.  They really do think they are perfect.

Posted by Primis on 07/30/14 at 11:26 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Finally.

An area where Jonathan Toews can probably responsibly be compared to Steve Yzerman!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/14 at 11:34 AM ET

first lindros, now the Captain.  is stewart trying to alienate every 90s star or sumtin’?!

Posted by US131 on 07/30/14 at 11:54 AM ET

Sounds like Yzerman was right

Based on what?

And this is why nobody likes referee’s. Be quiet and do your job.

Did we read the same article?

Seems like Yzerman whined about a call and “made it personal”.

What does that have to do with “be quiet and do your job”?

Posted by Garth on 07/30/14 at 12:08 PM ET

Bosephus's avatar

I really enjoy hearing from the officials perspective but this guy seemed to play favorites (based on two whole articles I’ve read). In the “Lindros is a tool” article he said something like players need to gain his “acceptability” to get the benefit of the doubt or something like that. Seems kinda self-centred?

Or am I just bitter as a homer Wings fan that he called Stevie Y the jerk and Mark Messier his buddy?  raspberry

Kerry Fraser seems to come off a little more neutral to me.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 07/30/14 at 12:13 PM ET

Kerry seemed to hold few/any grudges towards players and coaches.

/bonus—he rightly pegged sidney as a bit on the entitled side
[!!]

Posted by US131 on 07/30/14 at 12:20 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Stewart most assuredly played favorites as an official.  I remember seeing this when he was on the ice.  Kerry Fraser was not nearly as great an official as he thinks he was, however, he was equally bad to both teams, so that makes him much more good than those that play favorites.

Among the current batch, most of those that the league office (that is the evil garden gnome) like are the ones that play favorites.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 07/30/14 at 12:21 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Based on my opinion Garth..  *#$%@& Perry mason as it again.  You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/30/14 at 12:31 PM ET

Based on my opinion Garth.

What are you basing your opinion on though?  There’s nothing in the article that points to either being right.  All Stewart really said was “he didn’t like my call”.

Posted by Garth on 07/30/14 at 01:33 PM ET

I read this back when he posted it on Hockeybuzz (we’re not supposed to admit we read that, are we?) months ago, and I really wasn’t surprised at any of it.  Yzerman was, er, intense.  His mouth was always running while he was on the ice.  Before I learned what it was that actually got a guy kicked out of the faceoff circle, I figured that he must have an unimaginably foul mouth, because it was like clockwork: they lined up, Yzerman’s face went all >:0 >:0 >:0, the linesman would indicate that he’d had enough.  We had a drinking game based on it for a while.

And Stewart always seemed to have a high self-regard, and a tendency to take things personally.  So to learn that Yzerman maybe wasn’t the most pleasant guy on ice (I think this is a truth universally acknowledged), and that Stewart still hasn’t gotten over it: well, that wasn’t hard to see coming.

About Toews: When people say how like Stevie Y he is, I say sure, like a Stevie Y statue carved from mashed potatoes.  But yep, this is the one area where I’ll look at him and say, Yeah okay, maybe I see it a little.

Posted by flowerdew on 07/30/14 at 01:49 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by US131 on 07/30/14 at 11:54 AM ET

It’s aboot $$$$$$$.

Tough crap Stewie. There’s no crying in Hockey.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/30/14 at 01:50 PM ET

Yzerman was one of the biggest whiners in the sport.  He embarrassed himself and his teammates on a number of occasions with regard to the refs.  I was often relieved that he wasn’t on the ice when a controversial call came up, so that Sergei or Nick or Draper would handle it instead.

Posted by jkm2011 on 07/30/14 at 01:51 PM ET

Oh, also, the faceoff thing - Kerry Fraser had a column a while back answering questions about why people do get kicked out of the circle.  He said that they would ideally try to work with the player about to get booted before waving him out, and his example was something like, “Now, Steve, your coach wants you to take this faceoff, and for that to happen, this is what you need to do….”  You will never convince me it wasn’t our captain on his mind when he was writing this.

Posted by flowerdew on 07/30/14 at 01:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

NHL refs deserve every bit of flak they get.

They never have to be held accountable for anything otherwise.  Guys like Stewart and Fraser STILL think they never, ever once made a bad call or the wrong call.  Not once.  They are coddled, babied, protected, and their hands held.  The league never makes them accountable for anything.  It instead hides them.

They deserve the flak on the ice.  LOTS of flak often.  The problem comes when after every single whistle a Crosby is chirping at the ref, no matter what.  THAT is just simple whining.  And that is how reputations get forged.

Stewart is plain and simple being a diaper baby.  He disallowed a goal.  It was not just a Nothing play.  Some refs are apparently too dumb to realize that not every call carries equal weight.  And t would come as no surprise to anyone who remembers his work that Paul Stewart was apparently one of this.  And if you botch the call… well to be blunt screw you, you deserve EVERY bit of heat for it.

Yzerman *absolutely* berated officials.  I totally remember him doing it.  The difference is:  he didn’t constantly do it.  He only did it when something really, really set him off, and honestly it was usually a weak or wrong call.  And when he was set off, as a fan you knew something was actually up.

Posted by Primis on 07/30/14 at 03:25 PM ET

I remember one game where Stewart was in the corner and the puck was headed his way.  Stewart appeared to turn his skate and the puck careened to an opposing player.  I do not remember if it resulted in a goal, but after that occurred, I had no faith in his decisions when he refereed a Red Wing game.

Posted by guy on 07/30/14 at 06:19 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I know Yzerman was quite intense on the ice and would run his mouth off if he thought a call was really blown. On the other hand Crosby and Toews are just whiners. That seems to be their specialty.

Posted by bigfrog on 07/30/14 at 07:31 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 07/30/14 at 03:25 PM ET

THIS.  Ten thousand times this.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/30/14 at 09:27 PM ET