Morning Line

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: peter+gammons

Comments

I’d love to see Hartley get ten

Posted by bobbo on 01/19/14 at 10:54 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

So the next time there is a bench clearing brawl in baseball, or a coach goes after one of the umps, does that reiterate why baseball is a minor sport?

I just think Gammons shows why ESPN is a minor sports network.

And his mouth looks like an anus. So there.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/19/14 at 10:58 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

The NHL is a minor sport in America because Americans could give two shits less about hockey and that’s not going to change. Thems the facts

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/19/14 at 11:02 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Gammons is still butt-hurt that last year SI called the NHL playoffs the best post-season of the main four.

What would baseball be? A major thug sport? Seems to be giving the NFL a run for its money.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/19/14 at 11:18 AM ET

One Acronym: PEDs

Posted by fromdowntown on 01/19/14 at 11:21 AM ET

Is he still writing ?

Posted by mc keeper on 01/19/14 at 01:05 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Who?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/19/14 at 01:26 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The NHL’s going to generate somewhere over $3.3 billion in revenues this year (probably more like $3.5 billion) and isn’t that far off from becoming a $4 billion-a-year industry.

That’s a very comfortable “fringe” to operate from.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/19/14 at 02:48 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

And as baseball’s ratings continue to creep down, hockey’s ratings continue to creep up. When they ultimately meet at some point that will be the day Gammons loses his mind…I mean, if there were a mind to lose, that’s what would happen

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/19/14 at 02:56 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Sounds like someone is butthurt that hockey is better than baseball.

What a sad little man he is.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/19/14 at 03:07 PM ET

Chet's avatar

gammons is still alive!? that’s the only story here…

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 01/19/14 at 03:25 PM ET

I like baseball.  I enjoy watching it on TV and I’ve played as a kid, but every time that guy’s on my screen, I feel like shooting the TV.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 01/19/14 at 03:39 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Lets not get carried away. I love hockey, but don’t suffer any illusions about which sport in America is king, and Gammons being an ass doesn’t change that.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/19/14 at 04:01 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

but don’t suffer any illusions about which sport in America is king

Football. By a country mile.

The days of ‘baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet’ are long gone, a distant past never to be recovered.

In the last twenty years baseball has diminished while hockey has increased. I’m not saying by such an amount that hockey is about to overtake baseball in any way; but the fact is one sport has gained a foothold while another sees its’ foothold chipped away at year after year.

Old fossils like Gammons cannot accept the fact baseball is no longer the ‘great American pastime’. It’s not even close to being true anymore.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/19/14 at 04:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from the CP,

Criticism of Gammons’ tweet came quickly after Fox Sports 1 anchor Jay Onrait — a Calgary native — retweeted the remarks with the added note “Shots fired.”

“seriously though, who is Peter Gammons? He has a puppy and flowers as his avatar,” said professional golfer Graham DeLaet of Weyburn, Sask.

Onrait quickly replied to DeLaet, comparing Gammons to TSN hockey analyst Bob McKenzie.

“He is the Bob McKenzie of MLB I suppose. Bob Mac would never be so rude to insult baseball (might think it though),” said Onrait.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/19/14 at 05:11 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Maybe, maybe not.  I know this tho.  I have a 6 year old son who won’t play football;  and I can tell you many sons moms and dada seem to feel the same way.  Brain trauma will kill football.  Not sure about hockey.  Baseball may survive.  Soccer will likely prevail.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/19/14 at 05:58 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I’m going to get shelled for this, but I agree with Gammons.
I love hockey. I really do, but I don’t consider what happened last night ‘hockey’.

Only in this sport can you assault another and barely miss a shift.

Did anyone see Kassian jump into that scrum and then start throwing bombs before his dance partner had any chance to read himself?
In any other league that’s a 20+ game suspension.
In the NHL, it’s 5-minutes.

Hockey has amazing, passionate, fiercely loyal and diehard fans in it’s small regional pockets.
But Gammons is right that as long as these Slapshot type moments occur the game will never be close to being as big as the other major sports at a national scale.

Some hockey fans are fine with that. I don’t really need it to be as big as MLB or NFL.
But I do get tired of defending this great sport.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/19/14 at 07:00 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Moreshoot, I agree.
While baseball isn’t as popular as it once was decades ago, it’s still very much alive and kicking.
MLB pulls in 1.5B per season for it’s national TV rights.
YES sold 49% of it’s shares for 3.4B.
Ratings are up, ticket sales are up…the sport is starting to grow again after the big PED reveal in 2003.

In my own personal experience, baseball is starting to grow leaps and bounds in my little Canadian neck of the woods.
My boys love it too.

It’s unfair to compare the two sports as they both offer something a lot different.
It’s slow, methodical and very precise.
But those are the things I love about it. Watching a SS scoop up a hard grounder and fire a bullet to 1B in one silky smooth motion is music to my eyes.

And like you mentioned, baseball offers a fairly safe experience where concussions and broken bones are a lot less common place than in highly violent sports like hockey and football.
I already know of 2 kids under the age of 12 that have had to retire from hockey due to concussions. And both played in non-contact leagues.
It is what it is.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/19/14 at 07:05 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

What happened in this game is such a very rare occurrence that when it does take place it draws much attention. It’s easy after the fact to make a sanctimonious broad generalization as Gammons did. Even easier when you can spit it out to the world instantaneously with the help of twitter. Yes Peter the brawl was terrible and you felt the need to express your opinion. However, calling the NHL a ” minor” sport really isn’t expressing some sort of revolutionarily insightful opinion. That’s sort of akin to calling Tesla motors a minor car company when compared to GM, Ford,VW..etc. The NHL a minor sport?...........Who knew?

I expect the same indignation from you Mr. Gammons in a couple weeks when the first ” incident” takes place in a spring training game…...and we all know benches will clear at least once in Florida or Arizona.

Hey Peter,how many steroid users did you vote for on your most recent HOF ballot???? Ever voted for Roger Clemens Peter?????? Well, if so , then I find that more disgusting than a bench clearing brawl in some minor hockey league game.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/19/14 at 10:41 PM ET

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/19/14 at 04:37 PM ET

Good post. Not that hockey is going to overtake baseball any time soon, but other stuff already has. Gammons thinks he’s speaking to the commoners from the throne, but his thinking is 20 years out of date. Gooddell laughs at Gammons archaic little past-time, which is closer to being overtaken by the NBA than it is to matching the NFL.

The concept of baseball isn’t one to one with being an American any more. It’s one to one with drug use and cheating, if anything. In terms of mass interest, it’s almost as regional as hockey. Baseball just happens to be more popular in larger media regions (LA vs Buffalo, New York vs Pittsburgh).

Posted by larry on 01/20/14 at 12:43 PM ET

Soccer will likely prevail.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/19/14 at 05:58 PM ET

If you’re forcasting Football struggling because of the concussion controversy, there’s no way soccer takes its place. Soccer has the same problem, that hasn’t made the same headlines because concussion research is mostly an American thing and Soccer is not an American sport. One article I saw suggested Soccer was just behind boxing in terms of brain damage sustained over a career. Ahead of football.

If the EPL was a US league similarly popular in the United States as EPL is in Britain, concussions and soccer would be front page news.

Posted by larry on 01/20/14 at 12:49 PM ET

I just think Gammons shows why ESPN is a minor sports network.

He works for the MLB network, IIRC.

The NHL is a minor sport compared to Football, Baseball and Basketball.  Interest in hockey is largely regionalized, and it faces the same issues in drawing a broader degree of support that Soccer does.

Even in US cities where hockey is strongly supported, it’s rarely the pre-eminent sport.  In Detroit the Wings are the #3 team behind the Lions and Tigers in overall fan interest, and were the level of performance equal I’d give the Pistons a 50-50 shot to pass them as well.

It’s not that the Wings are under-supported, it’s just that football and baseball and basketball start off with a much more broad amount of support.

I mean, Michigan plays in the largest football arena in the country and sells it out while they play hockey in an 6700 seat barn… and the hockey team has been WAY better over the past 20 years.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/20/14 at 04:00 PM ET

In terms of mass interest, it’s almost as regional as hockey.

Easy there.  I’d put the national cache of the Yankees or the Red Sox or the Dodgers or even the Cubs up against the national cache of any other team from any other sport.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/20/14 at 04:04 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/20/14 at 04:04 PM ET

You’d be wrong if you did. The yankee/red sox regular season record viewership on ESPN is about a third of what the NFL averages on the same.

The Heat also have a larger out of market footprint than any baseball team. Probably the Lakers as well, but I don’t know that for certain.

Like I said, Baseball is a regional sport now. Just happens to be biggest in the biggest regions.

Posted by larry on 01/21/14 at 01:31 PM ET