Morning Line

added 12:07pm, A little more from Carchidi via the Philadelphia Inquirer,

The Flyers appear to have found their third-line left winger.

General manager Paul Holmgren confirmed on Tuesday that Dan Cleary will be at the Flyers' camp Thursday on a tryout contract. However, Holmgren said no deal was in place, as was reported by the Detroit Free Press.

"There are no promises. It's just like the Hal Gill (contract)," he said.

The Detroit newspaper said Cleary had agreed to a three-year deal worth $2.75 million per year, and that it would be signed after the Flyers gain cap space by putting Chris Pronger on the LTIR list at the start of the season.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dan+cleary, paul+holmgren

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

???????????????????

So, Cleary hasn’t signed for 3yrs/8mil and change?

And if he is such a diehard Wing, why is he willing to go to Philly on a PTO instead of Detroit?

Posted by Hootinani on 09/10/13 at 10:59 AM ET

OK, now this is just getting sad…

Posted by Garth on 09/10/13 at 11:07 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

I can’t recall seeing such conflicting rumors regarding such a low profile player

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 09/10/13 at 11:13 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I think Holmgren is being very careful since he can’t sign any player until cap issues are settled.

Pronger can’t go on LTIR until the end of this month.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/13 at 11:15 AM ET

Probably because he bought new glasses so he could finally read the writing on the walls in Detroit.

Posted by Garth on 09/10/13 at 11:17 AM ET

Pronger can’t go on LTIR until the end of this month.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/13 at 12:15 PM ET

And they have to be cap compliant by the end of training camp, right?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 09/10/13 at 11:17 AM ET

Paul's avatar

from Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News,

With Cleary, the Flyers now have 10 forwards, 10 defensemen and two goalies on guaranteed, one-way NHL contracts totaling $66.8 million. Add in locks Brayden Schenn ($810,000) and Sean Couturier ($925,000) at their base salaries (not including their performance bonuses, since they will likely be deferred to 2014-15’s cap) and the number looks more like $65.01 million.

That $65.08 million figure does not include Scott Laughton ($925,000), who is likely to start the season with the team since he has a free 9-game window, or the Flyers’ leftover bonus payment from last year ($182,927) or Oskars Bartulis’ buyout ($100,000). Add it all up and the Flyers are looking at $68.97 million on salary cap limit of $64.3 million for the upcoming season.

That number, though, includes 14 forwards, 10 defensemen and two goalies. The roster limit is 23 players, meaning three defensemen will have to go. Who will they be?  Chris Pronger ($4.91 million) and Marc-Andre Bourdon ($612,500) are likely to be added to the long-term injury list. Bourdon, like Pronger, has been suffering from concussion-like symptoms for more than a year.

The only issue is that the Flyers must carry both Pronger and Bourdon on the opening day salary cap before receiving their combined $5.5 million cushion on Day Two.

more on Cleary…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/13 at 11:21 AM ET

And they have to be cap compliant by the end of training camp, right?

I don’t think so.  I think it’s after the pre-season is done.

Posted by Garth on 09/10/13 at 11:22 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Heck, Cleary can now pull a Brent Sopel, who left the Wings while on PTO and signed with Chicago.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/13 at 11:25 AM ET

I don’t think so.  I think it’s after the pre-season is done.

My mistake.

Posted by Garth on 09/10/13 at 11:28 AM ET

perfection's avatar

Cleary made it pretty clear that he would also go to Traverse City on a tryout as long as a future deal was in place with a “handshake” as he put it. I assumed that he was willing to do this because of the trust he had built with KH, Babs, and the Org., but apparently he was willing to extend the same privilege to Philly.

I have mixed reactions to this - like Babs, I badly wanted him back, especially when you consider how many players are going to camp (SAMMY!!) who I’d swap with Clears any day. He was friggin stellar in the playoffs last season and his value is not just on the ice. Having a guy like him setting examples in practice and in the locker room is invaluable. I think we will miss Cleary this coming playoff and, if he does manage to stay healthy… which is an IF, Philly will be VERY glad they have him come next playoffs. But with all that said, if he did indeed take this three year offer back to the Wings to match, Kenny did what he had to do. While we maybe take a small hit this season, not having his contract (with NTC) hanging over our head the next two will be huge for all of these prospects. That’s basically a spot for Sheahan that just opened up. So I’m both disappointed that we didn’t get him back and yet think it was the right move given what Kenny was facing.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/10/13 at 11:36 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Official release from the Flyers on Cleary signing a PTO today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/13 at 11:42 AM ET

I don’t mean to single you out, perfection, but I just don’t buy this line of reasoning.

If the Red Wings need Dan Cleary around just to set examples and be a good guy in the locker room then they’re in real, serious trouble.  Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Alfredsson, Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves and Miller don’t set good enough examples for the youngins?

The Detroit locker room is overflowing with good examples and guys who are great in the locker room, they (unfortunately) don’t have a need or the room for a Dan Cleary.

Posted by Garth on 09/10/13 at 11:44 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Just shy of $3M per year for Dan Fricking Cleary to chase a biscuit around the pond…..is this a great country or what?!  Merica!!!!  Good on ya Danny. It’s been a good run.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 09/10/13 at 12:19 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Pronger can’t go on LTIR until the end of this month.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/13 at 12:15 PM ET

Better them than us. Also, I thought the Flyers wanted Gagne back if possible. He is also a UFA, and couldn’t be signed until the Pronger issue is handled. I did read that putting Pronger on the LTIR frees up $4.9 million, and, that was the reason no move had been made regarding Gagne.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/10/13 at 02:01 PM ET

perfection's avatar

so I’m not clear what reasoning you’re referring to…. whether a team “needs” more leadership or whether that leadership is worth a certain contract doesn’t negate the fact that veteran experience is a GOOD thing. whether it’s worth 3 years or 3 mil is another question. But my only “line of reasoning” is that leadership is in fact one of the intangible positives that Cleary brings to the table. The only way you can not buy this is if in fact you don’t think Cleary brings ANY leadership or experience to the locker room.

again, if you actually read my post I said not signing him to that contract is the right move.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/10/13 at 02:19 PM ET

Where did I say veteran experience is a good thing?

Again, if you actually read my post I said the Detroit Red Wings don’t need a guy like him just to set examples and be a good guy in the locker room.  See how I said “the Detroit locker room is overflowing with good examples and guys who are great in the locker room, they (unfortunately) don’t have a need or the room for a Dan Cleary”?  I don’ think I was burying my point.  It was pretty obvious, wasn’t it?

I read the entire comment.  See how I quoted part of it?  I wonder why people quote part of a comment…  I guess it couldn’t be because the quoted part is what was relevant to my comment.  I disagreed with you about them missing his leadership.  Whether you thought Holland should have or should not have signed him is irrelevant to my point.

Untwist your panties.

Posted by Garth on 09/10/13 at 03:03 PM ET

Yes, and my point was that there are many guys who do that already in Detroit, and there are guys who bring those intangibles while also bringing tangible things.

Posted by Garth on 09/10/13 at 03:04 PM ET