Morning Line

"My point is, if they're better than I am, I am expecting and accepting a smaller role." But if I'm better, I need to play more. I need to play top minutes. That's what I'm looking for.

"That's fair for everybody. To be honest, I've been playing a big role. I don't know if I'm ready to play 10-12 minutes a game. And that's what I want to make sure. If I play well, I get what I deserve. Sometimes it's not like that. So I want to make sure I'm treated the way I deserve."

-Teemu Selanne on one of the factors he is weighing before deciding if he will return for another season.  More at TSN.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: teemu+selanne

Comments

Primis's avatar

That’s great and all Teemu.  But as we saw in a shortened season last year, you have no stamina or endurance left.  Even with reduced icetime you faded late in games in the playoffs.

Truth is, it’s time to retire.  If you can’t hack it with reduced icetime in a shortened schedule, what hope is there in an 82-game schedule?

Posted by Primis on 08/20/13 at 11:47 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

The amount of games might have been halved, but no NHL player was ready for 48 games in 99 days (minimum).

Personally, I’m not a fan and thought he should have hung them up during the lockout.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/20/13 at 12:41 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

yeah, that 70-80 points his last full season sure indicated he should hang’em up.  Lots of anamolies in the lock-out year, conditioning, amount of games in a shortened time frame.  Teemu’s a great player, still is and he proves it over and over.  I can see what he’s saying playing on a 3rd line with a rapidly declining Koivu.  Teemu’s a Lidstrom type, guy looks 25 and still has enough skill and experience to be very effective

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/20/13 at 03:08 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Notwithstanding his 66 points in 2011-12, I would have liked for him to hang them up during the lockout so we’d be guaranteed to not have to listen to this prima donna’s drama for a sixth straight year.

It has nothing to do with his “70-80 points”; more so the 16 “I’s” in 11 sentences.

And please, don’t put selanne and Lidstrom in the same sentence again.  There are really no parallels besides age.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/20/13 at 07:16 PM ET

Who’s forcing you to listen?

Posted by Garth on 08/20/13 at 07:57 PM ET

And please, don’t put selanne and Lidstrom in the same sentence again

To many fans Teemu Selanne is one of the greatest European players of all time and one of the greatest ambassadors for the sport and that includes the likes of Lidstrom.

Posted by timbits on 08/20/13 at 10:42 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Again, my point was that they are not comparable besides their general age.

Skill set?  Possibly comparable, if they didn’t play two entirely different positions.
Attitude?  GTFO.  You’ll never hear anyone refer to selanne as “The Perfect Human” (besides maybe himself).

To many fans, Nicklas Lidstrom is one of - if not the - greatest European players of all time, and one of the greatest ambassadors for the sport and that tangentially includes the likes of selanne.

Again: no comparison.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/21/13 at 12:00 AM ET

I would hope not, this is one of the silliest if not most absurd statements about any hockey player.

Posted by timbits on 08/21/13 at 01:03 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

You do realize the condensed schedule works against endurance and hurts older players who heal from bumps and bruises less quickly, right?

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 08/21/13 at 01:15 PM ET